Writing Music

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Music Writing Music

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Hope Ann
    @hope
      • Total Posts: 1092

I like to listen to music as I write…sometimes to help me focus and sometimes to help me block out the noise of a number of playing siblings. 🙂 I listen to various pieces as the mood seizes me, but the two I’ve been switching between recently is the Chronicles album (from Audiomachine…it’s good ‘war’ music) and the classical piece Carnival of Animals along with the Nutcracker (for more peaceful scenes).

Do you listen to music as you write, and if so, what kinds?

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

Yes I certainly do! I also have been a great listener to Audiomachine, and one of my favorite albums of theirs is ‘Tree of Life’. You’re right— good war music. I’ve been struggling to find more peaceful or dramatic music for the more peaceful or dramatic scenes, though. I listened to so much classical music a few years ago that now it has to be really unique for be to be able to stand it at all. Maybe I’ll grow out of that. One good classical piece I still really enjoy, though, is Vivaldi’s Winter. And though this is not ideal, if I’m desperate for a slow, sad piece, I’ll look up some of my favorite Celtic and Gaelic traditional songs. ‘The Boatman’ is a good one— more commonly known as Fhear a Bhata, which I suppose is it’s Gaelic name. 🙂 But it can be really difficult to find the sort of soft, emotional music I’m looking for on Youtube, so if any of you have any suggestions, I’m all ears.

Hope Ann
        @hope

I really like Tree of Life too. But soft emotional music…that is hard. There was an eight minute piece of Beethoven that was perfect for an emotional scene, but I’ve lost it. I might try to find it and the name again though, because I’ll need it for the book I’m writing. 😉

Reagan Ramm
          @reaganramm
            • Total Posts: 110

Hey, Kingdom Pen is actually working on a list of the best 100 writing songs. We’ll try and get that finished up and make it available for you to download on the website. 🙂 Audiomachine is listed, along with some softer more emotional music! 😀

• This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by Reagan Ramm.

My Music:
            AndromedaCoastMusic.com

Learn Music Production:
            OrpheusAudioAcademy.com

Kate Flournoy
            @kate-flournoy

Wow. Thanks— that will be so helpful. Is there anything you guys don’t think of?

Mark Kamibaya
              @mark-kamibaya
                • Total Posts: 318

100 best writing songs? Gotta be organized by genre. I mean there’s a lot of war music (read Immediate Music, Two Steps from Hell and audiomachine), but there needs to be like nice romance music. Or even tense kind of music. Basically, movie soundtracks. James Horner, Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard, John Powell. Awesome guys that can write emotion.

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Kate Flournoy
                @kate-flournoy

Thing is, though, most of the composers you mentioned composed film music, and for me, it’s difficult to listen to music from a film I’ve watched while I’m trying to write, because the music has prior associations and therefore is difficult to match up to the scene I am writing. If that were not the case, I could live for the rest of my life using nothing but Howard Shore!

Amanda Fischer
                  @wordfitlyspoken
                    • Total Posts: 79

Jumping in here…might I suggest this wonderful work of awesomeness created by a writer acquaintance of mine? Since I apparently can’t post links, I’ll try this way. soundfuel(dot)blogspot(dot)com. 🙂

I personally like Celtic instrumental music and some of the more energetic classical music for most of my writing, but sometimes I do need a good emotional piece. Solo piano usually ends up being where I go for that (and that’s usually Pandora, although there’s a blog I read with good emotional background music that I’ll pull up sometimes for that as well).

Hope Ann
                    @hope

Has anyone seen the movie Epic? It’s really cute, but anyway, I’ve been listening to that soundtrack some and it has a lot of happy, lighter type music that is still active. And it is very pretty. 🙂

Sarah Spradlin
                      @spradlin
                        • Total Posts: 189

Hope,

I watched Epic (and shamelessly enjoyed it!) and loved the sound track! I’ve found that it has been helpful for when I’m writing more from the good guy’s perspective while they’re building up to something or working together to solve a problem. 🙂

"When enemies attack your kingdom you don't flee you show them why it's your kingdom. With your lightsaber."

Hope Ann
                        @hope

Isn’t it great? It’s one of my favorite ‘kid’ movies and I’ve watched it a number of times. And the soundtrack is wonderful. 🙂

Kate Flournoy
                          @kate-flournoy

I’m reviving this topic to throw in a good word for an album I found recently via Youtube. I think it’s a video game soundtrack… maybe… but it’s really great music.
                            It’s called ‘Dragon Age: Inquisition’, by Trevor Morris. I got it for twelve dollars on Amazon. Some of it is a lot like Audiomachine, but it had a LOT of really great creepy music that Audiomachine just doesn’t do. It’s a darker sort of music— less epic, more intense and complicated. And it has one of the most beautiful choral pieces I’ve ever heard. 😀

Hope Ann
                            @hope

While not music to listen while writing, does anyone like old ballads? Most of them have to do with romance and end with someone dying, but you can good ideas and lines from some of them. More particularity, has anyone heard The Highwayman? I was mesmerized the first time I heard it.

Kate Flournoy
                              @kate-flournoy

I… don’t know that I’ve heard it in musical form, but if you’re talking about the poem that starts ‘The road was a gypsy ribbon, looping the purple moor…’ or something like that, yes, I’ve read it, and it is mesmerizing. The rhythm is so strong— like a horse galloping or something.

Hope Ann
                                @hope

Here’s some music I’ve started listening to. There’s a whole list and I really like it. Well, I like most of what I’ve listened to so far; I can’t vouch for everything. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHP2GgxYddY&index=1&list=RDxHP2GgxYddY

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >