Writing Is Like Having a Lake Inside Your Head

Home Page โ€บ Forums โ€บ Fiction Writing โ€บ General Writing Discussions โ€บ Writing Is Like Having a Lake Inside Your Head

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Anon
    @theliterarycrusader
      • Total Posts: 64

Last night I happened upon the following quote on Pinterest, which I believe is worthy of commemoration and rumination. Iโ€™ve added it to my bottomless pile of quotes that I hope to eventually convert into graphics for KPโ€™s social media channels. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Writing is like having an enormous lake inside your head, and you want to get it out of your head and into a proper place for a lake so people can go swimming and ride jet skis and stuff. Except all you have to move the lake is a teaspoon. So youโ€™re sitting there frantically flinging water out of the lake with your teaspoon and shouting to people, โ€œThis lake will be so cool when itโ€™s done!โ€ But it will never be done. There is too much lake.

I sent the quote to a close friend of mine, who responded to it in her usual witty fashion (and I have her permission to share this):

Day 21 of Operation Novel Creation: It has been another productive day of water-flingingโ€ฆI think I may have a sizable puddle by 2025. Given another decade, perhaps there will be enough water in the puddle for a decent splash. Ah, yes. I knew water-flinging was the job for me. And how fortunate to make enough money from my water-flinging to be able to buy food for my goldfish. He seems to enjoy watching me fling water. I think it inspires him. I plan to fling 500 teaspoons of water tomorrow. If nothing else, I will at least free-fling and see what comes of it.

Now that I have successfully interrupted your day, you may return to your regularly scheduled water-flinging. ๐Ÿ˜›

@daeus
      @rolena-hatfield @aratrea @hope @sierra-r @christi-eaton @brandon-miller @spradlin @watersnail @audrey-caylin @dragon-snapper @kate-flournoy @ethryndal @overcomer @perfectfifths @kina-lamb @anne-of-lothlorien @jess @northerner @r-j-wordsmith @winter-rose @graciegirl @jane-maree @mark-kamibaya @ingridrd @gretald @gabriellemassman @sarah-h @anne-swiftblade @warrioroftherealm @we-seriously-need-a-tag-that-notifies-all-the-active-people

Jess
      @jess
        • Total Posts: 575

@theliterarycrusader SO true. Maybe my water-flinging will be enough to create a sizable puddle one day. Iโ€™m headed off to do some more water-flinging. ๐Ÿ˜›

And how fortunate to make enough money from my water-flinging to be able to buy food for my goldfish.

This is pure comedic gold. Tell your friend she should write comedy. ๐Ÿ˜›

Christine Eaton
        @christi-eaton
          • Total Posts: 306

@theliterarycrusader, Brianna, this is beautiful. I appreciate this on a deep and spiritual level. ๐Ÿ˜›

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Anon
          @theliterarycrusader

@jess Incidentally, this same friend once wrote a comedic short story about a snake who goes to college. It was titled โ€œThe Slithering Seismologist.โ€ ๐Ÿ˜›

@christi-eaton
            You sound like Sarah. XD Iโ€™ve heard her use that phrase before.

Christine Eaton
            @christi-eaton
              • Total Posts: 306

@theliterarycrusader I actually said that one before I met Sarah, but there are a great many phrases we have stolen from each other. ๐Ÿ˜€ I guess it comes with Skyping a lot and now being her new apprentice ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜›

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Hannah Carmichael
              @watersnail
                • Total Posts: 14

I kind of want to just refer to all of my writing today. โ€œSo how was your day? do anything productive?โ€
                โ€œWellโ€ฆ I pretty much just floated around in my lake that I should be moving, but you knowโ€ฆ Iโ€™ll get around to it.โ€

Anon
                @theliterarycrusader

@watersnail HAHAHAHA! I do that sometimes too. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Mostly I have trouble with rocks (writerโ€™s block) though. I try to scoop out the water and instead I end up with a spoonful of pebbles. On a good day I manage to fling out a drop or two along with the pebbles. ๐Ÿ˜›

Jane Maree
                  @jane-maree
                    • Total Posts: 909

@theliterarycrusader goodness. XD This was a good laughing start to my day. *goes to start on some water-flinging*

Writing Heroes โ™ฆ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Gracie
                    @graciegirl
                      • Total Posts: 889

@theliterarycrusader Zikers, this is writing in a nutshell! XD I love it!
                      I just wish I was to the point where I was actually flinging drops. Iโ€™m stuck on deciding my plan of attack, so to speak. Oi. XD

*is probably geeking out about something*

Elizabeth
                      @that_writer_girl_99
                        • Total Posts: 1819

This is too funny. Iโ€™d venture to say that Iโ€™ve never read anything that describes my writing habits as accurately as this does.

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Snapper
                        @dragon-snapper
                          • Total Posts: 3515

@theliterarycrusader Yeahโ€ฆwhen I brainstorm, itโ€™s almost like there is a storm over my lake, crashing waves over to the shore, water-flinging ideas into buckets. ๐Ÿ˜›

โ˜€ โ˜€ โ˜€ ENFP โ˜€ โ˜€ โ˜€

Kate Flournoy
                          @kate-flournoy
                            • Total Posts: 3976

@TheLiteraryCrusader YESSSSSSSSSSSSSYESYESYESYES! This is perfect on every possible level. :โ€™D Thank you for sharing. Iโ€™m inspired. XD

Adry_Grace
                            @adry_grace
                              • Total Posts: 169

@TheLiteraryCrusader someone has done it. someone has finally described the entirety of my pathetic writing career in one post. *applauds*

Sierra
                              @sierra-r
                                • Total Posts: 46

I love this. So much. Please move it to the top of your bottomless pile of graphic ideas so that I can plaster it across every social media platform I have. More people need to understand the importance and serious business of water flinging ๐Ÿ˜€

Elizabeth
                                @that_writer_girl_99
                                  • Total Posts: 1819

Yes, definitely! @sierra-r

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >