Writing Dares!

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 159 total)
  • Author
    Hannah R.
    @his-instrument
      • Total Posts: 229

@jason Are you looking for a genre-specific dare? I can give you some suggestions.You by no means “have to” do any of these.
      1) Take a cliche (like the classic “we’re going to be poisoned by this dude who just put something in our food” or “we’re enemies but now we’re falling in love” or “I’m a superhero so I’m just awesome, no questions asked” kind of thing, just to give you some examples) and write about it in a nontraditional way. Like, maybe the poison backfires and the characters who were trying to avoid the poisoning end up poisoning their shady host, whether intentionally or inadvertently. Or, the enemies who fall in love aren’t really in love, they’re just faking it to get a closer look at their enemy. Or, the superhero isn’t so awesome because he or she has a terrible secret weakness or character flaw (and you can’t use Kryptonite because that’s already been done). Just a suggestion. I love twisting cliches. And you can do this in any genre, because historical fiction and sci-fi and even just plain old fiction have their cliches, too.
      2) Incorporate a natural disaster into your story.
      3) Include a character who thinks he or she has superpowers, but doesn’t.
      4) Include the word “flabbergasted” (my favorite word. I wrote a whole short story centered around that word).
      5) Include a character with a cognitive or physical disability, and have him or her save the day. I love these kinds of characters– they have so much potential and character, and it’s always great to honor those with disabilities by including them in fiction as well as in real life.

YA Fantasy Writer
      Obsessive Character Namer
      Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

@dragon-snapper Sounds like there could be some conflict between me and Hope. Oooh! Maybe Josiah could be a Gandalf-like character (with the really long beard) and he could have some plan for how we can all defeat the evil villain.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Snapper
        @dragon-snapper
          • Total Posts: 3515

@daeus 😛 The idea of Josiah as Gandalf…I like that idea though…hmm.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Daeus
          @daeus
            • Total Posts: 4238

@dragon-snapper Oh, and Reagan and Haley can be fairies.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Snapper
            @dragon-snapper

@daeus The world will never be the same with you as king.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Jason
              @jason
                • Total Posts: 23

@his-instrument Well, I already am kind of doing some of those (my book is about a super hero who feels like his powers are more curses than blessings.) But ‘flabbergasted.’ Now, that I could use. Totally the kind of thing my nerd character would say–not saying YOU’RE a nerd. It’s just a nerdy word. Lol

Jason
                @jason
                  • Total Posts: 23

@r-j-wordsmith Glad to be of service!

Northerner
                  @northerner
                    • Total Posts: 244

@Dragon-snapper, INTP’s are notoriously good at tossing out all sorts of ideas but never doing anything with them. Which is why, if you ask one for an idea, you’re going to get lots. We enjoy the fun of coming up with things and seeing them worked out without having to go to the trouble of working them out ourselves :).

Snapper
                    @dragon-snapper

@northerner 😛 I seem to be the opposite as an ENFJ. I have my ideas, but they are mine. *Gollum. Gollum* It’s ours. My precious….

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Hannah R.
                      @his-instrument
                        • Total Posts: 229

@dragon-snapper Way to use a LOTR quote! Bonus points for you!

@jason
                        Sounds like a fascinating story idea! I did something similar, where I had a whole group of characters with fantastic “gifts.” Most of the gifted people were “good guys,” but one of those who received a gift was a callous army commander who inflicted punishment, even death, upon disobedient soldiers without shame or remorse. His gift was the ability to see and hear things in other places, and he perceived it as a curse because the gift showed him all the suffering he had caused. That was a fun novel…
                        And yes, “flabbergasted” is the perfect nerdy word for every situation. Maybe I am a nerd. A word nerd. (I like the sound of that, actually. It should be a t-shirt. Actually, it probably is a t-shirt. I should find a t-shirt like that. :P)

YA Fantasy Writer
                        Obsessive Character Namer
                        Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Snapper
                        @dragon-snapper

@his-instrument Yay! I like points!

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Kina Lamb
                          @kina-lamb
                            • Total Posts: 162

@dragon-snapper, since you’re the one that told me about this, can you give me a dare? One that won’t take a long time to write? Appreciation in advance,

Snapper
                            @dragon-snapper

@kina-lamb Sure thing!
                              Okay, let’s see. Write about why the bluejays are riverdancing on your windowsills. If that doesn’t work, then write from the perspective of an electric guitar during a rock performance.
                              If those don’t work, let me know and I’ll throw some other crazy ones at you.
                              Actually, here’s a normal one in case you want that. Write a six-year-old who thinks that he is related to birds and plans to fly.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Kina Lamb
                              @kina-lamb
                                • Total Posts: 162

Thanks @dragon-snapper! Good ones. Gotta write them. Bye!
                                (I’ll be back soon.)

Snapper
                                @dragon-snapper

@kina-lamb @daeus @kate-flournoy @Jason @his-instrument @graciegirl @ethryndal @winter-rose @anyone else who sees this
                                  Back again, yes. Asking for help….hesitantly I have come. But really, I never can decide whether I want to write from third person or first, so I need some dares in first person and others in third person to see if that’ll help me decide. I’d prefer it to be sci-fi or fantasy.
                                  *holds up barricades and shields and armor* Okay. I’m ready for whatever you throw at me.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 159 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >