Writing Dares!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 159 total)
  • Author
    Hannah R.
    @his-instrument
      • Total Posts: 229

Because I have time today, and I don’t always have time, I’m actually going to start another topic. This one, as the title might hint, is on writing dares.
      If anyone has ever done NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), you may have heard of writing dares. Basically, their purpose is to jog the imagination. They can help get you through a dry spot in your novel’s plot, give you a fun idea for a short story, or simply provide a challenge. I don’t know how exactly this will work online, but here’s what I’m thinking: If you would like a dare, let us know, and if you want a dare in a specific genre, specify. (For instance, one of my friends once dared me to put a blue-eyed Pegasus in my historical fiction novel about the Great Depression. I tried but, well, you know…) Once you’ve “applied” for a dare, people can dare you. A dare can be anything from “put a blue-eyed Pegasus in your novel” to “include the word ‘flabbergasted'” to “write a scene about a chicken”– the only limit is your imagination.
      If you apply for a dare, chances are you will receive more than one. You can choose one of them, and once you’ve picked one to write, you can dare someone else by name– one of the people who dared you. Make sure you’re willing to accept a dare before you dare someone else. Obviously, if you really don’t want to accept a dare, no harm will befall you if you respectfully decline. This is not Truth or Dare. I, personally, will not judge you for declining a dare, especially if you have very good reason.
      This is a sort of game, so let us know how your dare turned out– if you worked it into your story, how well it worked, if it improved your story, detracted from it, etc. If you really hate the way it turned out you can always delete it later.
      I, for one, stand open for dares. The genre does not matter, since I’m writing fantasy and you can put pretty much anything in fantasy.
      Hope you all have fun with this!

YA Fantasy Writer
      Obsessive Character Namer
      Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

BlueJay
      @bluejay
        • Total Posts: 1622

I think I’m brave enough to have a dare. I’m always looking for new story ideas. *squeezes eyes shut* Okay, dare away.

Adry_Grace
        @adry_grace
          • Total Posts: 169

YUS. LETS DO THIS!!!!

I dare ya’ll to write a scene entirely devoted a character’s pet emu.

Hannah R.
          @his-instrument
            • Total Posts: 229

@Adry_Grace, I love your idea! I don’t think I can work it into my current novel but it would make a great scene… And it would take a great character to have a pet emu. I accept your dare and will let you know when I use it.
            My dare to you and @bluejay : Your main character receives a letter from a close friend or family member which changes his/her perspective on something… Or, maybe, changes his or her life. For better or for worse.

YA Fantasy Writer
            Obsessive Character Namer
            Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Adry_Grace
            @adry_grace
              • Total Posts: 169

@his-intrument I like that dare….. and you know what? that might acutally work well in my WIP. okee-dokee-loki!! Dare accepted. I shall work it into my novel and let you know how it turns out.

Anna Brie
              @anna-brie
                • Total Posts: 312

I want a dare. I right non magical fantasy, so either something character or situation based or not too weird as far as setting would work best. And for some reason I decided I wouldn’t have horses, annoying at times, but kind of a dare on its own.

Greta
                @gretald
                  • Total Posts: 450

I’ll take a dare. My novel is a fantasy, but I might use the dares in a short story, if it works better. 🙂

Anonymous
                    • Total Posts: 1486

This sounds like fun! Hmm, lets see what I can come up with…

@anna-brie
                    and @gretald I dare you to either try writing from the POV of a blind person or to have one of your characters accidentally faceplant in a serious scene.

I’ll take a dare as well, but I don’t know how soon I will use it.

Greta
                    @gretald

@winter-rose Challenge accepted. I will probably end up using one of your dares in a short story, as neither of them would work well in my WIP. 😉

I dare you to write a scene from the perspective of a two-month-old toddler who suddenly finds him or herself having to make a terrible decision (you decide what it is). Pretty random, I know. 😛 You don’t have to put that in your WIP. XD

Ingrid
                      @ingridrd
                        • Total Posts: 830

Oooo…this looks like fun! I’ll take a dare! I’m currently looking for short story ideas, so I’ll use a dare for that. 🙂

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Ingrid.

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Daeus
                        @daeus
                          • Total Posts: 4238

You know what, I need a short story idea too, so give me a dare.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Anonymous

@gretald The dare shall be written! (eventually). 🙂 Oh, and you profile kitten is adorable 🙂

Anonymous

@gretald Quick question, did you mean a two year old toddler or a two month old baby?

BlueJay
                              @bluejay
                                • Total Posts: 1622

@ingridrd, I’m terrible at thinking up dares but your dare is to write about someone who is bully at school and then he finds out that he has a secret power. What does he do with it? *No idea if this is good or not.* I’ll try to do better next time.
                                Oh and btw who is your profile pic? It looks awesome. 🙂

Greta
                                @gretald

@winter-rose Oops! I meant two month old baby. 😛 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 159 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >