Writing Advice Short Quotes

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writing Advice Short Quotes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Rochellaine
    @rochellaine
      • Total Posts: 3322

I found an amazing (I think 🙂 ) quote that I wanted to share here, but I couldn’t think where, so I’m starting a new topic!

Here we can post quotes by famous or infamous – I mean unfamous – I mean non-famous people that give good writing advice.  Just short snippets that carry a lot of truth in a small amount of words.

If anyone thinks it’s a good idea, come on over and share what you’ve got!

I’ll start off with a quote by one of my favorite movie directors, Frank Capra:

“I made a mistake in drama.  I thought drama was when the actors cried.  But drama is when the audience cries.”

Is that a perfect quote or what?! 🙂  He was talking about movies, but it’s easily translated to books.

Tagging a few, @seekjustice @kaya-young @jenwriter17 @dekreel @sam-kowal @dragon-snapper  @anyone-else and please tag people you think might have good quotes to post! 😀

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Jenna Terese
      @jenwriter17
        • Total Posts: 2522

@rochellaine Great topic idea!

Oh! *faints* that quote makes so. much. sense. it’s beautiful 😊

Here’s a quote I found.

I don’t know who Charles de Lint is, but I really like this quote. We each have a unique voice and style, we just have to embrace it.

I’m gonna tag more people: @jane-maree @mariposa @dekreel @daeus @aratrea @radically-surrendered @kaya-young @notawriter @itisastarrynight @emily-d @sage-g @sarah-anson @audrey-caylin @that_writer_girl_99 @warrenluther04 @aviantrail @waterlily @skredder @livgiordano @daughteroftheking

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
        www.jennaterese.com

Jenna Terese
        @jenwriter17

@rochellaine Great topic idea!

Oh! *faints* that quote makes so. much. sense. it’s beautiful 😊

Here’s a quote I found.

I don’t know who Charles de Lint is, but I really like this quote. We each have a unique voice and style, we just have to embrace it.

I’m gonna tag more people: @jane-maree @mariposa @dekreel @daeus @aratrea @radically-surrendered @kaya-young @notawriter @itisastarrynight @emily-d @sage-g @sarah-anson @audrey-caylin @that_writer_girl_99 @warrenluther04 @aviantrail @waterlily @skredder @livgiordano @daughteroftheking

www.jennaterese.com

Skredder
          @skredder
            • Total Posts: 527

@rochellaine Oh, this is cool. There is a writing quote that I really like, but I can’t remember who said it. So, I’m gonna paraphrase it here for y’all.

Write the beginning as if it’s the middle of a story, and write the ending as if it’s the beginning.

If I find out the exact quote and who said it I will come back here with it.

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

Rochellaine
            @rochellaine

@jenwriter17 Isn’t it, though?  I have a tendency to become melodramatic, but I think this really sums up how to write good drama.  I know I usually cry more when I watch/read about someone trying not to cry than when they’re sobbing their heart out.

I like your quote, by the way. 🙂

@skredder
              That’s a great quote!  It sounds like a good way to keep the story interesting.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

valtmy
              @valtmy
                • Total Posts: 732

@rochellaine

@jenwriter17

@skredder

Great quotes!

Hmm what comes to mind is this from William Faulkner:

“The only thing worth writing about is the human heart in conflict with itself.”

Kaya Young
                @kaya-young
                  • Total Posts: 272

@rochellaine Cool! I like this quote from C.S. Lewis on the subject of show, don’t tell:

<b>”Don’t use adjectives which merely tell us how you want us to feel about the thing you are describing. I mean, instead of telling us a thing was “terrible”, describe it so we’ll be terrified. Don’t say it was “delightful”, make us say “delightful” when we’ve read the description. </b>

The Kingdom has been torn asunder...
                  http://www.encircledbygrace.com/

Grace H.
                  @gh24682468999
                    • Total Posts: 199

“But I’m not a genius. Most writers aren’t. The only qualities that make writers great are their passion and method of advancing their skills.”

I read this quote soon after first discovering Kingdom Pen, and it stayed with me. Can anybody guess who this is?? 🙂 🙂

It's g-h, 2-4-6-8 twice, three 9's
                    literatureforthelight.wordpress.com

Ingrid
                    @ingridrd
                      • Total Posts: 830

@rochellaine @everyone

“What doesn’t kill us gives us something new to write about.”  ~Julie Wright

“A writer is by nature a dreamer—a conscious dreamer.” ~Carson McCullers

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Mariposa Aristeo
                      @mariposa
                        • Total Posts: 335

@rochellaine @jenwriter17 Love the quotes! ❤️ 🙂 Here are some Charles Spurgeon ones I like (they aren’t exactly writing related, but they could be applied to writing):

“Rome was not built in a day, nor much else, unless it be a dog kennel.”

“He is not the best student who reads the most books, but he who meditates the most upon them.”

“There is no particular virtue in being seriously unreadable.”

Rochellaine
                        @rochellaine

@gh24682468999 No idea. 🙂  Good quote, though.

@ingridrd
                          Oh, I LOVE the Julie Wright quote!  Most people think this is weird, but my form of optimism is often not “Things could be worse,” but “Now that I’ve experienced this horrible thing, I can write about it more correctly.” 😀

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Jenna Terese
                          @jenwriter17

@valtmy

@kaya-young

@gh24682468999

@mariposa

I love all of your quotes!❤👍

@mariposa
                            I like Charles Spurgeon too. Have you read his morning and evening devotional book?

www.jennaterese.com

NC Stokes
                            @daughteroftheking
                              • Total Posts: 1156

@rochellaine *rubs hands excitedly* All these quotes are great! A fav of mine…

“A writer is a world trapped in a person.” -Victor Hugo

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Rochellaine
                              @rochellaine

@mariposa I like the “Rome was not built in a day” quote.  It helps remind us that though writing isn’t always easy, by keeping at it we can come up with something grand. 🙂

@daughteroftheking
                                Cool description!

Here’s a quote by one of my favorite authors – Carolyn Wells.

“A critic is a necessary evil, and criticism is an evil necessity.”

Does anyone agree with her? 😀

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Rochellaine
                                @rochellaine

@mariposa I like the “Rome was not built in a day” quote.  It helps remind us that though writing isn’t always easy, by keeping at it we may come up with something grand. 🙂

@daughteroftheking
                                  Cool description!

Here’s a quote by one of my favorite authors – Carolyn Wells.

“A critic is a necessary evil, and criticism is an evil necessity.”

Does anyone agree with her? 😀

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >