Writer's Corner #13

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Fiction Writing ā€ŗ General Writing Discussions ā€ŗ Writer's Corner #13

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 810 total)
  • Author
    Joy
    @dekreel
      • Total Posts: 2304

Annnd, signing off. I need to get to bed *sigh*

858 words today! Whooop

You can pronounce it however you want.

Aislinn Mollisong
      @aislinn-mollisong
        • Total Posts: 445

Bye, @dekreel!

ENTP, Aether-borg Hero with cape obsession and fascination with swords.
        https://forums.theaetherli

ClaireC
        @clairec
          • Total Posts: 628

@rochellaine, Sorry, just got back from church. šŸ™‚

I havenā€™t read a whole lot of time travel, but Iā€™m certainly open to it.

And the Captain America Iā€™m talking about is ā€˜The First Avengerā€™. The one with Hydra (look it up) šŸ™‚

Official Member of the Certified Club of Aussie Kapeefers

Rochellaine
          @rochellaine
            • Total Posts: 3322

@aislinn-mollisong Okayyy, but isnā€™tĀ The Enchanted Barn ā€œjust livingā€?

So, here we go:

Western:Ā William MacLeod Raine, B. M. Bower, and Zane Grey are my favorite authors in this category.

Romance:Ā G.L. Hill, you knowā€¦Definitely readĀ Marcia Schuyler andĀ The Strange Proposal.Ā  Rosa Nouchette Carey wrote some pretty deep romances, but they get very depressing before they get to the happy ending. šŸ™‚Ā Ā Patricia Brent, Spinster is a comedic romance that was really fun to read.Ā  Margaret Widdemer wrote two books, which you should read in order. šŸ™‚

Mystery: Carolyn Wells is my other ā€œfavorite authorā€.Ā  Her dialogue isĀ amazing.Ā  She also wrote a non-mystery series which is possibly my favorite series.Ā  It could possibly classify as romance?Ā  But not exactly.Ā  Definitely try theĀ Patty Fairfield series, and if you do, youĀ have to read them in order!Ā  I got my signature from theĀ Patty series. šŸ˜€

Girlsā€™ Adventure:Ā TheĀ Nan Sherwood series by Annie Roe Carr is very good, except for the first book, which is okay. šŸ™‚ Amy Bell Marlow wrote several stand-alone books.

Military:Ā H. Irving HancockĀ  wrote some very good books about boysā€™ experiences in military schools and as servicemen.

Sci-Fi:Ā Of course, Jules Verne.Ā  Then thereā€™sĀ Tom Swift by Edward Stratemeyer.Ā Ā Tom Swift is a really famous series.

Boysā€™ Adventure:Ā G. A. Henty and R. M. Ballantyne wrote a hundred books each, I think. šŸ™‚

Fantasy/Adventure/His-Fic: The guyā€™s name is H. Rider Haggard.Ā  Iā€™ve read his his-fic but Iā€™ve heard he wrote some pretty good fantasy as well.

Sooo, have you heard of any of these books/authors already?

Ā 

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Rochellaine
            @rochellaine

@aislinn-mollisong That was a really long list ā€“ and I have many more recommendations I could give you!Ā  But please let me know if you like any of these, as Iā€™d love to hear that someone else enjoys the same books I do ā€“ since most people have never heard of most of those books. šŸ˜€

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Rochellaine
              @rochellaine

@clairec Yes, thatā€™s the one I was talking about.Ā  At the beginning and at the end they show that Steve crashed in the Arctic and was frozen for 70 years, effectively time-traveling to the present day, because he did not grow older those seventy years in between, and remembered nothing of it.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

ClaireC
                @clairec

Oh, yep, there you go. XD

ClaireC
                  @clairec

@rochellaine

Joy
                    @dekreel

@clairecĀ  @seekjusticeĀ  @dragon-snapperĀ  @aislinn-mollisongĀ  @rochellaineĀ  @skredderĀ  @waterlilyĀ  @anyone

Iā€™m going to see if I can write (Rochellaine ā€” before TNG comes on TV ;D)

SeekJustice
                      @seekjustice
                        • Total Posts: 3365

@dekreel Iā€™m editing and Iā€™ll join you!

@rochellaine

Have you read anything by Baroness Emma Orczy? Her most famous book is The Scarlet Pimpernel, but she wrote a lot of others too and they sound like the sort of thing youā€™d like. You can get them all free on Project Gutenberg, and probably other public domain sights. Theyā€™re all romance/adventure books and I like them a lot.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Joy
                        @dekreel

Okay, Iā€™m going to watch Star Trek now

@rochellaine
                          Ā  Iā€™ll tell you about it the next time I run into you šŸ˜€

Rochellaine
                          @rochellaine

@dekreel Have fun!Ā  And definitely let me know! šŸ™‚ Sorry I missed you. šŸ™

@seekjustice
                            No, I havenā€™t.Ā  I have tried to read some classics but I usually end up not liking them ā€“ Jane Austen, anyone?Ā  So if I hear the name of a book over and over the back of my mind puts it in the ā€œdonā€™t readā€ category. Whoops!Ā  šŸ™‚Ā  But Iā€™ll try it and see, and let you know. šŸ™‚Ā  It does sound like something Iā€™d like if I get it out of the ā€œclassicsā€ category in my head.

I think it sounds similar to Georgette Heyerā€™s books ā€“ of which Iā€™ve only read one;Ā The Black Moth.Ā  Have you read any of her works?Ā  I really liked that one.

Ooooh, Project Gutenberg!Ā  Isnā€™t that anĀ amazing website?Ā  There seem to be an unlimited amount of good books there, and all for free!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Rochellaine.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                            @seekjustice
                              • Total Posts: 3365

@rochellaine

The Scarlet Pimpernel is the only one of her books thatā€™s widely known, but itā€™s probably my least favourite out of the three of her books Iā€™ve read. I donā€™t even know if the rest of them are still in print.

I have a Heyer book out from the library at the moment, but I havenā€™t read it yet.

Yeah, thereā€™s a lot of cool books on there that Iā€™ve never even heard of! Have you ever used Librivox? They have audiobooks too, though the narrators and the audio range from really really good to really really bad.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Joy
                              @dekreel

@seekjusticeĀ  @rochellaineĀ  I hath returned!!

Rochellaine ā€” I watched the TNG episode ā€œSchisms,ā€ the fifth episode of the sixth season. It was pretty good! I liked it. My favorite part was undoubtedly Dataā€™s poetry. It was SO FUNNY! XD XD XDĀ  Have you seen that episode? He did this poem about his cat, Spot. Xā€™D HAHAHAA ohh it was hilarious!!

So my favorite TNG character is Data. X) Followed by Geordie LaForge

Rochellaine
                                @rochellaine

@seekjustice Cool!Ā  Tell me if you like it.Ā  At first I didnā€™t like part of it because she had the guy dress up in ruffles and face paint ā€“ and then I realized that she was just being realistic, because thatā€™s how guys dressed in society back then. Boy am I glad I didnā€™t live in that period!

Yes, Iā€™ve listened to one full Librivox book. šŸ™‚Ā  It was Grace Livingston Hillā€™sĀ The Best Man which I couldnā€™t find anywhere else free, and I justĀ had to know the story. šŸ˜€Ā  I sampled a few other books there as well, but I donā€™t usually listen to audiobooks.Ā  I like to read them better.

Something I like to do is go to Old Time Radioā€™s website and listen to the old radio shows from the 1930s-60s.Ā  I donā€™t have time to do that very often, but when I do, I love them.Ā  There is everything from musicals to comedy to drama and mystery.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 810 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >