Writer's Corner #13

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writer's Corner #13

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 810 total)
  • Author
    SeekJustice
    @seekjustice
      • Total Posts: 3365

Whoops! @aislinn-mollisong see above!

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
      @rochellaine
        • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice Have you heard of the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Carousel?  It was a stage musical, later made into a movie.  It was based on a play, rather than a book, but I read the play like a book on Gutenberg, so it could count if you’re not too much of a literalist?

It actually has a kind of weird, fantastical plot, which upon reading the synopsis made me think I wouldn’t like it, but when I watched the movie I cried several times, and the book/play had some very interesting parts.  I was surprised at how well the musical/movie stuck by the original play, since the 50s was not really a time when that was important.  There are some major differences, though.

Here’s the play, and Here’s the movie, and Here’s the musical. 😀  (Oh, I just realized I don’t know if there’s a difference in copyright laws in Australia.  I hope the links work.)

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Rochellaine
        @rochellaine

@seekjustice And here’s a link to the Wikipedia article on the musical.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
          @seekjustice

@rochellaine I’ve never heard of Carousel, no, but I’m always open to new musicals, so I’ll give it a listen. I’ve just downloading the script on Gutenberg and I’ll read it, then proceed with the musical/movie. It’ll probably be a while before I get to writing a post on it (I’ll have to read it, watch it and then listen to a it a couple of times to catch some of the differences), but I’ll definitely look into it.

Do you have any other suggestions?

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
            @rochellaine

@seekjustice Well, a really famous one (In the U.S. and England, at least) is Pygmalion, which was made into the musical/movie My Fair Lady.  I can’t stand the thought of the plot, because the male protagonist is horrible the whole way through.  (I think he ends up a little tiny bit better in the musical version, but just barely.)  The play is by Shaw, and the musical is by Lerner and Loewe.

The songs are amazing, though. 😀

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Rochellaine
              @rochellaine

@seekjustice By the way, I agree that an Anastasia analysis should be very interesting.  I’ve only read about it, though.  Never seen any of it.  Same with The Hunchback, except I’ve seen the 1939 movie version with Maureen O’Hara and Charles Laughton, which I liked a lot. (I think it’s pretty different from the book.)  I’m sure, as you say, that the true version is probably very depressing.

Can’t wait to read your articles!

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                @seekjustice

@rochellaine I’ve heard of My Fair Lady, I’ve even listened to a few of the songs from it, and I know the premise. I might have a look at that one too, when I get some time.

Yeah, it will be interesting! I’m looking forward to writing the post!

Actually, I have a plan! Mary Poppins is a book, movie and musical! It’s actually the only musical I’ve seen done professionally live. It’s been many years since I read the book though, so I’ll have to reread it and refresh my memory.

Rochellaine
                  @rochellaine

@seekjustice Oh my goodness!  The book is so completely different from the movie that you couldn’t tell they were the same but for the fact that the names aren’t changed!  There are so many differences I don’t think you can count them.

Have you heard of the movie Saving Mr. Banks?  I haven’t seen it, but it’s a film about the making of Mary Poppins and the author trying to keep a semblance of her book in the movie – fighting with Walt Disney. 😀

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                    @seekjustice

@rochellaine I couldn’t have told you that, to be honest! I saw it live in Sydney when I was eleven (so that was almost seven years ago), and I didn’t watch the movie until after that (I remember the movie and the musical being very similar, except for a few minor points), and then I didn’t read the book until after that, but I remember virtually nothing about the book.

I have heard of it, but I haven’t seen it either, it sounds interesting though. Somewhere in the vagueish area of where I live there’s a big bronze statue of Mary Poppins though, because P L Travers lived there as a little girl, I think.

Anonymous
                        • Total Posts: 1486

@dekreel @dragon-snapper @dekreel @seekjustice @skredder I’m editing, if anyone would like to join me 🙂

Rochellaine
                        @rochellaine

@seekjustice Sorry I had to leave quickly without signing out last night.  I’ve seen Mary Poppins live, too!  It’s pretty different from the movie.

And since recommending Carousel to you I’ve had it in my head all day – and been listening to the recordings.  😀  But while I was doing that Robert Goulet popped up singing If I Loved You, which reminded me of another musical he was in…

Camelot!  Have you heard of it?  (From now on I’m just going to recommend to you an inordinate amount of musicals.)  The story’s not that great – because it is based on the original story, (Lancelot and Guinevere) which is not that great, but you said you have read lots of versions of it, so you might find it interesting?  I also recently heard that it was American President JFK’s favorite musical. 😀

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Rochellaine
                          @rochellaine

@winter-rose Hello! I’m working on my western novel.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Anonymous

@rochellaine Sweet! Thanks for joining me 🙂 How far are you in your novel?

Rochellaine
                              @rochellaine

@winter-rose Just starting.  I have a lot of the story and characters planned out, but only a little bit written.  So I’m not quite sure how it’ll end up. 😀

What exactly are you editing?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Anonymous

@Rochellaine That’s exciting! I love starting a new project. 😀

I’m editing my secondish draft of Rook, my fantasy novel.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 810 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >