Writer's Block.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Daeus
    @daeus
      • Total Posts: 4238

A little cinnamon, some cloves, nutmeg – you too can become a word chef.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

BlueJay
      @bluejay
        • Total Posts: 1622

@daeus and @kate-flournoy – You have made me laugh so hard. 😀
        Thanks @kate-flournoy for your suggestion. I’ll have a look at changing it.
        As to poetry…hmmmmm…I’m actually not one to read poetry. I can never find the rhythm in them. But maybe I should try… 🙂
        And cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg *yummy* add stewed apples and cream and voila, magnificent. 😀

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

Oh boy, *hyperventilates excitedly* I know a poem you can read! ‘Specially if you love drama— for drama, and for reading aloud, this is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE POEM. The Lady of Shalott.

It’s almost more like a saga than a poem, but I give myself chills reading this aloud. 😛

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Kate Flournoy.
          BlueJay
          @bluejay

@kate-flournoy – Have you ever seen Anne of Green Gables number one or two? In that movie she repeats from the Lady of Shalott all the time. “Willows whiten, aspens shiver, little breezes dance and shiver.” Or something like that. I have never actually read the entire thing but what is used in Anne is so good. Like the time she nearly drowned cause she was acting out a scene from that poem. So funny. (She gets rescued by her worst enemy too) 😀 Who becomes her best friend in the end. I love movies (books) like that.

Rolena Hatfield
            @rolena-hatfield
              • Total Posts: 405

@bluejay I’m sorry but I just can’t help but jump in! I love Anne of Green Gables. (though I’ve only seen the first and second film). I just watched the first two films with some friends this past weekend. That scene were she acts out The Lady of Shallot poem is one of my favorites! I grew up watching those two movies and actually didn’t understand what Anne was doing until I was much older. Very good story!
              I was just also thinking about looking up the poem and reading it in its entirety. Now I shall have to since @kate-flournoy has so highly recommended it. Have you ever read the Highway Man Kate? That’s one that Anne quotes in the film as well.

https://rolenahatfield.com/

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy

Yes @rolena-hatfield and @bluejay! I love those movies, and yes, I have read the Highwayman. Lovely— the rhythm for that one is absolutely… splendiferous.

Ah… to hear Anne reciting The Lady of Shalott… drama. Pure drama.

Willows whiten, aspens quiver,
                little breezes dusk and shiver,
                thro’ the wave that runs for ever,
                by the island in the river,
                running down to Camelot…

Yeah, I pretty much have it memorized. 😛 I’ve only read it like a hundred times. 😉

BlueJay
                @bluejay

@rolena-hatfield – I have not read the highwayman but I’ve heard Anne recite it. It sounds a very moving poem. We have number 3 but I haven’t watched it yet. I can’t wait though.
                  I sometimes think I’m very much like Anne (with an E 😀 ). A writer, an actress (and very Dramatic) and I’m always (at least when I was younger than I am now) in scrapes! Never quite has bad as Anne, but still not that great. 🙂 Much to my mum’s horror. I just don’t have her orange hair. 🙂 🙂 🙂

BlueJay
                  @bluejay

@kate-flournoy – I love it when Anna recites, but I also like in the 2nd one when Emiline reads it aloud in class. And when she acts in Mary, Queen of Scots too. 😀
                    But my favourite part in the movie is with the fireworks. We once had a pet lamb in the house (with a nappy on :P) and she had fallen asleep at our feet while we were watching it and we forgot that it got loud as the fireworks went off with a bang 😛 and poor Kate jumped a mile. We gave her lots and lots of cuddle to sooth her. She was very sweet. I wish I could show you photos of her. 🙂

BlueJay
                    @bluejay

@kate-flournoy. Help. Ok, so I’ve kinda overcome writer’s block. I can think of lots of good ideas, but I can’t get the words to flow. Any suggestions?

Kate Flournoy
                      @kate-flournoy

Well… dive in. 😉

What, that’s not helpful?!? Whazza mazza wis you @bluejay?!?

But really, my best trick is just to start going. Don’t think about how terrible your writing is— don’t think about how awfully your prose is flowing. Just write and write and write until you’re ‘in the zone’. You can always go back and fix the flow later if you don’t like it.
                        But since this may not work for everybody… you might try sitting and thinking about your story quietly for a bit. Discover what you most want to say with this story— what do you most want to focus on? The characters? The message? If you had to sum up your story in one sentence, what would it be? I’ve found that if you can find the thought behind that one summary sentence, it almost always makes for a killer opening line or a surge of inspiration. It shows you where you’re going, and more or less how to get there. Gives you something to steer for. Was that any help?

And I know I’ll make myself terribly unpopular by saying this… but the successful writers are the disciplined ones. Get that in your head. Decide whether you want to do this seriously, and if the answer is yes plunge in up to your elbows and don’t look back. You only get better at writing by writing. It may seem like you’re getting nowhere, for a while, but in the end it is so worth it.

Believe me. I’ve been writing for three… uh… no, four years now, and I’m beginning to recognize how much discipline pays off. 😀

BlueJay
                        @bluejay

*pauses on the edge* “Breathe deep, Breathe deep.” JUMPS! *Right I’m in. Now let’s go see if I can write something. 😀
                          Thank you @kate-flournoy.
                          but the successful writers are the disciplined ones
                          There is a line in a movie (which @rolena-hatfield should know) which says “If honesty offends me, than I am in most need of it.” Don’t ever stop tells us the truth about writing, Kate. Give it all you’ve got. 😀 *Three cheers to you. Hooray, hooray, hooray!*

Daeus
                          @daeus

@bluejay In my rather big and obnoxious opinion, the hardest thing about writing is not actually sitting down and doing it (once I start, I can pretty much keep going), but sitting down and doing that instead of something else. It’s always easier for me to start those distracting “elses”. So how do I we fix this? You might be thinking by now that I have an answer to this problem (I thought when I started this that I would think of something)… but ……………

…….Heeeeeeeellp!!

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

BlueJay
                            @bluejay

*looks up obnoxious in dictionary* Oh, so that’s what it means. I wouldn’t have put that to you.
                              Yes!!! I’m not the only one. Phew, now I don’t feel so bad. Deja vu! I’ve heard that call for Heeeeeeeellp!! so many times.
                              And how do we fix them: We find what the distraction is and get rid of it. The TV, internet, etc… (Boy that would be hard. 🙁 )

Daeus
                              @daeus

@bluejay Well that’s fair since I wouldn’t have put it down to you to look so strikingly like a koala. I’ll tell you, that’s some serious cosmetics. Do they do that type of stuff in the Australian salons? I’m pretty sure our’s don’t – not that I’ve ever been to one.

Here’s an idea. Maybe those of us that have this problem could log in and holler out to see if anyone wants to write with them for a certain period of time. If anyone is available, then they could both do it together at that exact same time. If someone else is doing it with you, I think it would be easier to keep on track since you can’t let them down.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

BlueJay
                                @bluejay

@daeus HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! And HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA some more. Oh, Daeus you do make me laugh. Next week I’ll probably look different yet again. They do say “A change is as good as a holiday.” Now, I’ve been made to look like Peter Pan, Aladdin and a pirate (all boy roles I may point out!) But I have never been made to look like a koala. Not that it would be a bad thing. Koalas are extremely cute and well…they look cuddly, but I wouldn’t suggest trying to pick one up and give it a hug. Nasty claws and big teeth. Hey, I don’t know if you’ve ever heard how much a koala sleeps, but it’s a lot. Maybe 3/4 of a day. But the koala is not actually a lazy animal. It is because a koala eats eucalyptus leaves which contain poison. It sleeps to fight of the poison in its body. 😮 It’s kinda one of those things where you ask yourself “Why eat gum leaves?” But it’s designed to do what it does do. What is does do it does do very well!!!!!

Now, that is an idea. It might work. 🙂 If we can find the time to work together.
                                  Everybody, come quickly. Daeus has thought of a brilliant idea. Give him a round of applause. *claps hands together*

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >