Why We Do This

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Snapper
    @dragon-snapper
      • Total Posts: 3515

Hey, everyone!
      I was just thinking about writing (granted, I’m always thinking about writing, but that’s beside the point). Why do we do it? Why do we want to put a bunch of words onto a page; make remixes of the Dictionary? What motivates us?
      Writer’s Block, in my opinion, is just lack of motivation, so, I was thinking that each of us writers put down what motivates us to write in this Topic. Something that we can look back to when we feel discouraged and when we need an extra sparks to light the fire. Something to motivate each other, and to grow as better writers together.
      In light of that, LET’S DO THIS!
      -Dragon Snapper

@his-instrument @jess @clairec @the-happy-bookaholic @timothy-young @warrioroftherealm @emma-flournoy @winter-rose @ingridrd @christi-eaton @aysia-serene @adry_grace @daeus @belegteleri @hope @overcomer @vanna @faithdk @anna-brie @gretald @kate-flournoy @jadamae @hislittlerose @hannah-krynicki @writefury @hannah-olsen @zoe-wingfeather @dbhgodreigns @wordfitlyspoken @sarah-h @hannah-c @spradlin @ivy-rose @corissa-maiden-of-praise @graciekry @alia @anne-swiftblade @theliterarycrusader @bluejay @lightningmouse @Hannah-c
      {If that’s not everyone, I’m stuck}

• This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Snapper.
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Snapper.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Timothy Young
      @timothy-young
        • Total Posts: 23

I write because I am distracted,
        I write because I care,

I write out of boredom,
        I write because I have too,
        I write because I can,
        Sometimes I write for sport,
        Other times I write in sweat of despair,
        But finally I write for the Kingdom,
        To aid the wheat and pluck the tare.

(Clearly I am not that good with poetry, but better there then working on school.. 🙂 )

Ingrid
        @ingridrd
          • Total Posts: 830

@dragon-snapper
          If I didn’t write, my mind would explode with all my ideas. I heard a quote by Ernest Hemingway saying, “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
          That’s really all writing is to me. It’s pouring my heart onto paper.
          My goal with my writing is to glorify God. Even if I’m never published, I hope anyone who reads my stories or poems will see Jesus’ light through them. Through me.

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 3976

I write to discover, I guess. Writing for me is a quest of sorts— discover truths, polish them until they shine, then bury them again for someone else to discover. It helps me understand the world and the nature of truth and the nature of God, and as such I guess it’s a form of worship.

I also write because if I didn’t my head would probably explode. 😀 And besides, there’s something irresistibly fascinating in the richness of human experience. I can’t help but be drawn to the people in my head, and the ideas/emotions/truths they embody.

Daeus
            @daeus
              • Total Posts: 4238

Ooh, let’s see. I write because…

It’s a challenge that’s always elusive but ever rewarding.
              I just love stories. Kinda funny that way.
              I would get kicked off KP if I didn’t.
              I know that stories are greatly inspiring and this is the is a great way for me to do that for other people.
              I know that art is God’s thingy and that I can bring Him glory through it.
              I write to overcome because my book is a world that needs saving from my own writing mistakes, and of course I have to be the hero.
              I write because it’s a habit.
              I write because that’s the only way to get to the ending which I am always dying to reach.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hannah A. Krynicki
              @hannah-krynicki
                • Total Posts: 81

Great idea @dragon-snapper! For the sake of attention spans, can I just link to my blog post? Because honestly, if I tried to put it all down here, I would probably end up writing a whole new article:

Why Write?

Adry_Grace
                @adry_grace
                  • Total Posts: 169

I think about this quite a lot, actually.

I write because of all the book I’ve read. I think of the world in each of them as a gift that has been given to me, and I want to be able to give a gift like that to someone else.
                  I write because my overactive imagination.
                  I write because of my childhood.
                  I write because over the past few years I have come to understand what a powerful thing words can be.
                  I write because its what I want to do with my future.
                  I write because I have a million things going on in my head and I’m not sure what else to do with them.
                  I write because of the world around me.
                  I write so I can glorify God.
                  I write so I can share a part of myself with others.
                  I write as an escape from reality.
                  I write to paint a picture.
                  I write because a pen on paper is the greatest feeling in the world.
                  I write because I’m inspired.
                  I write because I love it.

Hope Ann
                  @hope
                    • Total Posts: 1092

@dragon-snapper I write for two reasons. 1. I’ve so many stories in my head and they I want to share them so everyone else can enjoy them too. 2. I want to inspire others in the Lord, and for me writing is the way I can do that. Stories have power, and I want to use that power for good.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Lightningmouse
                    @lightningmouse
                      • Total Posts: 39

Oh, yes, why I write. 🙂 Let’s see.

I write because I’ve always loved stories. Books, movies, and TV shows, and the plots and characters and worlds and <3
                      I write because I have something to say about/and or want to learn something more about something
                      Because I can teach about God and glorify Him through it.
                      And finally, because I want a certain story but can’t find anything like it for the life of me. 😛 For example: “I want a superhero story that takes place in the future in our solar system where all the planets have been settled with cyberpunk technology. Wait, there isn’t anything like that yet? Well now… ” 😉

Daeus
                      @daeus
                        • Total Posts: 4238

And finally, because I want a certain story but can’t find anything like it for the life of me.

Yeeeeess. That’s also a big one.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Anne Swiftblade
                        @anne-swiftblade
                          • Total Posts: 84

I can’t put my finger on why I write. I agree 100% with @Adry-grace, @Hope-ann, @Daeus, and all the rest of you.

“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” -CS Lewis

I write because in my heart I have a burning desire to be part of something bigger.

I write because I want to reach out to the world and give it something new from the every day.

I write for the chance of a lifetime! It’s an adventure that can go any way I choose.

I write to praise and glorify my King!

I write because it feels right. It is not always peaceful, or easy, but it just feels good. I don’t know if this will make sense later or not. But I write because it feels correct. Like I’m doing the right thing.

Adry_Grace
                          @adry_grace
                            • Total Posts: 169

I thought of something else. Any of ya’ll ever read The Book Thief?
                            The main character, Liesel, says something in the book that I have always related to.

“I have hated words and I have loved them, and I only hope I have made them right.”

Because in the end, all I want is to write in a way that affects somebody personally. That touches them.

Snapper
                            @dragon-snapper
                              • Total Posts: 3515

Wow! You guys respond quickly! @lightningmouse, you hit one of the main points why I write. To write what doesn’t exist. Sure, I’m probably not writing about a story with cyberpunk technology, but if something doesn’t exist, it needs to me made.
                              I heard it once said, “If there a book you want to read, and it hasn’t been written yet, write it.” Don’t ask me who said that quote; I can’t remember.
                              For me, besides what I just wrote, I write because I have an infinity for words. There’s something unique about reading a chapter of something and knowing that you’re the one who wrote it.
                              Because I love making new places that are mine and mine along. (I’m a selfish writer)
                              Because I love characters and how they are like real people to me.
                              Because there’s nothing like it.
                              Because other people can draw a fine line between me and other writers. An allegorical ratio of christian writers to non-christian writers.
                              Because God has given me a talent to write and to put words together. In language and in syntax, I can bring other people closer to Him. I will use the talent He’s given me to glorify Him.
                              Because I can make anything happen that I want to happen. There are no rules. (some of you may have noticed that the Dragon has melted some chairs in the Writer’s Corner; by that you can draw the conclusion that I’m very rebellious) 🙂

You all are inspiring me so much! Keep going!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Snapper.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Emma Flournoy
                              @emma-flournoy
                                • Total Posts: 1352

To tell you the truth, @Dragon-Snapper, I don’t write. (Hopefully that doesn’t mean I should be kicked off KP, @Daeus. 😉 It was very friendly of y’all to accept me in the first place.)

If you want to know what I’m doing here then, you can see my (rather too long, in retrospect) introductory posts here. https://kingdompen.org/forums/topic/honored-gasp-im-related-to-the-superhero/
                                (How do you put a link in the word ‘here’, anyone?)

But to say some of why I support writers… 😛

Because as some of you have said, it can bring light to truth—and glorify God.

And because I love a good story so much. And authors help bring those. 🙂

Not to mention writers are just super fun to be around!

Anon
                                @theliterarycrusader
                                  • Total Posts: 64

I’m going to cheat and post a quote I found on Pinterest a few years ago:

“Why I write: because kidnapping people and forcing them to act out your interesting make-believe worlds is technically illegal.”

I adore this quote so much because when I was a little girl I had a tendency to forcefully recruit friends to help me act out fairy tales I’d made up. ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >