Why does everyone keep stealing my names???

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Publishing & Platform Why does everyone keep stealing my names???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Hope Ann
    @hope
      • Total Posts: 1092

Ever come up with a cool name, then discover it’s already a title? Or a game. Or a game level. Or someone else has already used it for a popular character. *scowls* I swear there are time travelers stealing ideas about five minutes into the future and bringing them to the past so we can’t use them. Anyhow… Yes. Names.

See, I’m getting a ‘publishing name’ for the back of my book. Since my blog was Writing in the Light, I was going to to do Writing in the Light Publishing. But that’s long and I think I can come up with something cooler. Make that ‘thought’. Anyway, over brainstorming with some friends, I do have a few names and I wondered what you all thought about them.

Stormfeather Publishing
      Firewing Publishing
      Scarlett Publishing

Now, Stormfeather is both a book title and level 100something of a computer game. Firewing is also in some sort of computer game and a title. And Scarlett is the MC in Gone With the Wind. But there’s nothing new under the sun and I need something…

Anyhow, do you like any of those three (and do you have a prefrence between ‘publishing’, ‘publication’ or ‘press’?

@Northerner
      , @dragon-snapper, @daeus, @Aratrea, @winter-rose, @Jane-maree, @Brandon-Miller, @emma-flournoy, @jess, @Kina-Lamb

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

@hope I actually like Writing In The Light Publishing best.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hope Ann
        @hope

@Daeus Yes, there is still that. *scowls* It’s not that I don’t like the name but it’s also logos… @Kate-flournoy, you care to explain?

Hope Ann
          @hope

There is also Featherstone Publishing.

Northerner
            @northerner
              • Total Posts: 244

Scarlet with a single T?

Oh, dear, not, not Featherstone. The juxtaposition of light and heavy is comical in that one. (Besides there was a Dorothy Sayers character with that name, who always looked as if she were trying to squeeze herself into measurements of the first element and not the second.)

I like Press because it’s short and to the point and doesn’t sound as pretentious as some. But a press is also something used to make paper books, so if you’re planning to stick with ebooks it might not fit as well, and in that case I like Publishing better, because it covers everything.

Stormfeather isn’t the best, because a feather isn’t very big and impressive or threatening at all, the way a storm is. Firewing is better. What about something like Firebird, which is already common enough as to be in public domain, if that makes sense? Not that Firebird goes with your colour scheme (although it is something that dies and comes back to life. . .), i’m just using it as an example.

If it’s something that’s almost unique and therefore stands out, and someone else already has it, like Legend of the Sword, people will more easily confuse you with the other, or search results will turn up the other instead of you. But something a little more common, like Firebird, people would expect to go with more than one thing.

Mariposa Aristeo
              @mariposa
                • Total Posts: 335

@hope I agree with Daeus, but of the three, probably Stormfeather. Definitely not scarlet (it seems less original). I like the sound of “publication” best (that’s just my personal preference). Is there any way you could shorten “Writing in the Light”?

Hope Ann
                @hope

@mariposa Hmmmm… Writing for the Light? No. That’s just as long. Writing With Light Publishing. That’s a little shorter…

J.A. Penrose
                  @jess-penrose
                    • Total Posts: 377

@hopeStormfeather sound the best, but, as @northerner said, a feather isn’t too impressive, but does look nice… I really like the Writing in the Light Publishing, but I understand why you say it is too long.

Writer | Freelance Editor
                    Inspiration&lt

J.A. Penrose
                    @jess-penrose

@hope on Stormfeather, I just realised, of other Publishing Houses, there’s also, Feather, White Feather, and Fine Feather. So maybe Stormfeather isn’t so great…

Inspiration&lt

Hope Ann
                      @hope

@jess So my point is proven. XD *sighs* Hmmm… a feather looks cool. Feathers or wings. I’m thinking logos here.

Ugggg, Kate’s going to hate me if I’ve gone to all this trouble and then stick with Writing in the Light. *glances warily to the side*

J.A. Penrose
                        @jess-penrose

@hope is Stormwing possible? It’s only purpose is as an item in an obscure game… so…? *Shrugs* It may pass….

Inspiration&lt

Hope Ann
                          @hope

Soo… I think I actually might have found one I like, thanks to my eleven-year-old brother. Inkfeather Publishing. What do you all think? @jess, @daeus, @mariposa, @northerner I know feather is used in some other names but there are only so many names and it is very ‘logogenic’. XD

Daeus
                            @daeus
                              • Total Posts: 4238

@hope Sounds nice.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

J.A. Penrose
                              @jess-penrose

@hope Inkfeather Publishing, that sounds cool. Although, Inkheart, Inkspell and Inkdeath instantly come to mind, that’s still really good and would work, I think. I like it. *Nods*

Inspiration&lt

Jane Maree
                                @jane-maree
                                  • Total Posts: 909

@Hope ooh yes. Inkfeather sounds so cool. *nods excitedly* I love that.

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >