Which Idea Should I Tackle Next?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Idea Critiques Which Idea Should I Tackle Next?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17
      • Total Posts: 2522

@livgiordano I know what you’re talking about in Revelations. I was thinking about that too, and I’ve seen it done in movies at least twice and maybe in a book too. Does that mean I should probably not do it?

@radically-surrendered Thank you! I’ll think about the chip thing, I think I’ve seen it done a few times already.

@sam-kowal
      I agree, I’ve kinda seen it before too. I was thinking having a lot of the story being the POV of the robot girl spy (that would kinda give a look into the government), and the other POV being one of the Undergrounds.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Jenna Terese.

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
      www.jennaterese.com

Jenna Terese
      @jenwriter17

@skredder @dekreel @radically-surrendered Thank you for your advice, friends!

@mariposa
        Yeah, that just came to me this morning when I thought about the title, that it reminded me of the Civil War a bit too. I’ll keep working on other title options. Any ideas? It’s probably hard to think of any now since the plot is non-existent at the moment.

www.jennaterese.com

Skredder
        @skredder
          • Total Posts: 527

@jenwriter17 Hold up, what if the government and the underground/resistance people are both bad? What if the government offers “peace and safety” and the resistance people off “freedom” but you will die in the end no matter who you choose, but both organizations want to control everyone? What if both organizations are secretly working together? Everything that the robot spy encounters is perfectly planned…except for one small detail that gets the robot wondering (no clue as to what that could be). Having the people who were “quietly executed” as an integral part of the story would be pretty cool too.

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

Jenna Terese
          @jenwriter17

@skredder Oooooooooooh, I like how you think! Then maybe the MC that’s part of the underground people could be lying to herself about the intentions about the Underground group, telling herself that they are actually good and different from the government, when they really aren’t. Writing what you said down…….😊

www.jennaterese.com

Mariposa Aristeo
            @mariposa
              • Total Posts: 335

@jenwriter17 Hmm…different title…maybe something like “Forced Allegiance” ? I’m really not sure; I’d have to know more of the plot. 🙂

I like @skredder’s idea of having the resistance be bad too.

NC Stokes
              @daughteroftheking
                • Total Posts: 1156

@jenwriter17 *points to everyone else* What they said. 😉 My only advice is if you’re writing a dystopian, be intentional about being different. All the buildings don’t HAVE to be made out of concrete, the government enforcers don’t HAVE to be faceless storm troopers who blindly follow whatever the government says, and the leader of the government doesn’t HAVE to be completely heartless. If you aren’t held back by what dystopian is “supposed to look like,” you can do some pretty cool stuff. 😀

Your new profile pic is really pretty!

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

The fledgling Artist
                @notawriter
                  • Total Posts: 328

@jenwriter17

They all sound promising but #3 sounds like my favorite 🙂
                  (#6 might be my 2nd favorite 🙂 )
                  Oh yeah sorry for the SUPER late reply!

and I was so confused

Jenna Terese
                  @jenwriter17

@mariposa Yeah, I’ll probably ask people for title ideas when I more plot figured out

@daughteroftheking
                    I agree. I want one of the main characters to be in the government, one of the soldiers or something. I don’t think I’ve read any dystopian books, but I have watched movies. So hopefully that’s just enough to kinda know what I’m doing but not too much to lean towards cliche.

I LOVE my profile pic too!!!!! ❤ I’ve always liked the whole ‘native american pony’ thing with unique markings and feathers. Guess ’cause I have a smidgen of Cherokee.

@notawriter
                    Thanks!

www.jennaterese.com

Jenna Terese
                    @jenwriter17

Btw, guys do you think 3 POVs is too many?

@daeus
                      @jane-maree @mariposa @daughteroftheking @sam-kowal @seekjustice @radically-surrendered @kballen @aratrea @livgiordano @notawriter @itisastarrynight @skredder @audrey-caylin

www.jennaterese.com

Skredder
                      @skredder
                        • Total Posts: 527

@jenwriter17 I think 3 POVs can work, but you’ll have to be careful about it. Having too many could confuse the reader, but as long as you keep them straight and go from one to another in the right place, then it’ll probably work just fine.

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

Joy
                        @dekreel
                          • Total Posts: 2304

@jenwriter17  I agree with Skredder. Also, when you’re transitioning from one to the other, make it clear who they are and where they are (and who they aren’t and where they aren’t)

You can pronounce it however you want.

SeekJustice
                          @seekjustice
                            • Total Posts: 3365

@jenwriter17

3 povs would be fine if they all are important and vital and each of them are engaging. I’m reading Cress by Marissa Meyer and it has way more than 3 but it works really well and they all tie together neatly

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Jenna Terese
                            @jenwriter17

@skredder @seekjustice @dekreel Thank you all! I think all three will add interesting angles to the story, but I’m still planning to make sure, and doing more research ’cause I’ve never done more than one POV before (actually, I may have two a long time ago). Does KP have an article about that?

www.jennaterese.com

LivGiordano
                              @livgiordano
                                • Total Posts: 86

@jenwriter17 I definitely think it could be done. If you’re writing in first person, I wouldn’t recommend it. But in third person, I think it would totally work! 🙂

www.livforhim.wordpress.com

Mariposa Aristeo
                                @mariposa
                                  • Total Posts: 335

@jenwriter17 I agree with everyone else here. Three POVs isn’t too many—just make sure you aren’t headhopping between characters. Always insert a scene break before switching POVs. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >