Which Idea Should I Tackle Next?

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Fiction Writing ā€ŗ Critiques ā€ŗ Novel Idea Critiques ā€ŗ Which Idea Should I Tackle Next?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17
      • Total Posts: 2522

Also tagging @that_writer_girl_99 @radically-surrendered @kballen

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
      www.jennaterese.com

Elizabeth
      @that_writer_girl_99
        • Total Posts: 1819

I like 2 and 4!

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Jenna Terese
        @jenwriter17

@that_writer_girl_99 Okay, thank you!

www.jennaterese.com

Rochellaine
          @rochellaine
            • Total Posts: 3322

@jenwriter17 I like #2 a lot, but I have read a lot of books with the same premise.Ā  That doesnā€™t actually bother me at all, because I love everything cliche and stereotyped, šŸ™‚ but it might be hard to write it different enough that most readers would like it.Ā  (I would probably like it anyway.)

I also like #3, but an important thing to note might be that while in Eastern countries burning Bibles in public is an effective way to combat Christianity, that is because most of those countries have limited or no access to the internet, so everything they have is physical.Ā  If you are writing a futuristic novel, burning Bibles would be a good way for the government to outwardly combat Christianity, but they would also have to have other ways to fight the spread of the Gospel.Ā  (I am assuming you are setting the book in a ā€œWesternā€ country.)

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Jenna Terese
            @jenwriter17

@rochellaine Thanks for your input! About #3, I plan on setting that in the USA. Iā€™ll have to think more about how the government would combat internet access to Biblesā€¦..

www.jennaterese.com

Rochellaine
              @rochellaine
                • Total Posts: 3322

@jenwriter17 Though I did say it first, it isnā€™t so much about internet access to the Bibles, actually, since we have seen how the internet can be censored easily.Ā  But when you can carry 100 books on a hard drive no bigger than your finger, it would be hard to censor those. šŸ™‚

And burning Bibles would still be a big thing, as there are millions of Bibles in the US.Ā  I think a study in 2013 said that the average US household has 4.4 Bibles in their possession. (Of course, families like mine, who have about 50 Bibles in their possession, up the statistics a little bit šŸ™‚ so itā€™s less families with more Bibles.)

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Jenna Terese
                @jenwriter17

@rochellaine Oh, I see what you mean. Gives me something to think aboutā€¦.šŸ‘

www.jennaterese.com

Jenna Terese
                  @jenwriter17

@jane-mareeĀ @emildy-dĀ @dragon-snapperĀ @radically-surrenderedĀ @aratreaĀ @daeus @itiisastarrynightĀ @notawriterĀ @seekjusticeĀ @dekreelĀ @rochellaineĀ @mariposaĀ @sam-kowal @that_writer_girl_99 @daughteroftheking @kballen @livgiordana @anyone else

Iā€™m adding a #6 idea everybody! I just got this idea tonight actually, so lemme know if itā€™s cliche or anything:

#6 pending title: The Underground (dystopian) setting: high tech city (think a little like Tron 2010)

You can have an uneventful life in this city, if you pledge your allegiance to the government as they strip away your rights and require everyone to carry a citizen paper (or something electronic, which might seem better considering the technology). Those who resist are arrested and believed to be quietly executed. Some who get away try to find the Undergrounds, a group of people resisting the government and fight for freedom while they struggle to survive in a village under the cityā€™s surface.

I donā€™t really have a plot figured out yet, but I think I want the government to send a spy pretending to be one of the Undergrounds so they can find out their location and population. This spy is a robot (robots in this world are very advanced and can even display emotions and think for themselves, and they are hard to tell apart from humans).

So, yeah, pretty rough right now. Lemme know what yā€™all thinkā€¦.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Jenna Terese.

www.jennaterese.com

Anonymous
                      • Total Posts: 103

@jenwriter17 Thatā€™s actually a really cool idea! Whether or not its cliche, I dont knowā€¦ Iā€™m not very well-read on recently written novels (meaning last 10-20 years or so) Being homeschooled I read A LOT of historical fiction (let me just say the Sonlight Homeschooling curriculum is AWESOME!! Itā€™s mostly readingā€¦ a readers dream) and quite a few classics, so thats what Iā€™ve mostly been reading for the past few years, with the odd Dee Henderson book or a Historical Romance (yes, I know they arenā€™t accurate most of the time, but I love the warm and tingly feeling at the end of a good romance). Sorry, Iā€™m just babbling nowā€¦

Anyways, I think itā€™s a really cool idea. People could have chips in their wrists with all their personal information, like name, age, any medical conditions or allergiesā€¦ maybe even use those chips to pay for stuff instead of a credit cardā€¦ just put your wrist in front of a scanner and off you go.

Ā 

LivGiordano
                      @livgiordano
                        • Total Posts: 86

@jenwriter17 It sounds interesting! It does sound a bit cliche though, with the whole ā€œsubmit or be in dangerā€ thing. And idk if this thought struck you, but do you remember the mark of the beast in Revelation? It seems quite similar to the idea of people having a chip/card in them that pledges their alliegance to the government.

But I feel like you could do a lot with this story, and it probably could be pretty unique. Like even though some stuff is cliche, I think every story has at least some element of that. I definitely like the sounds of this.

www.livforhim.wordpress.com

Sam Kowal
                        @sam-kowal
                          • Total Posts: 635

@jenwriter17 šŸ™‚ That idea actually sounds really exciting right off, but I feel like I have seen it a lot before in various placesā€¦ at least bits and pieces of it. The futuristic and evil government is a pretty heavily used element in a lot of sci-fi/dystopian. So is the Rebellion/Uprising of the people. Thatā€™s not to say it couldnā€™t work, with a unique twist. You could show things from the governmentā€™s point of view, for example, and how the Undergrounds are really troublesome destroyers of order and peace. šŸ˜€ Although that might seem kind of terrible at first. Still, your other ideas were great, too.

Ā 

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Sam Kowal.

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
                          Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

Skredder
                          @skredder
                            • Total Posts: 527

@jenwriter17 Thatā€™s a pretty cool idea! However, it sounds a lot like the plot of Loganā€™s Run. With a twist though, it could become very unique.

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

Joy
                            @dekreel
                              • Total Posts: 2304

@jenwriter17Ā  That sounds cool! I agree with Liv in that the submit or danger thing is a little cliche. The Underground also sounds cliche. So, yeah, if you could put a unique twist in there, it would be perfect!

You can pronounce it however you want.

Anonymous
                                • Total Posts: 103

@livgiordano I thought the same thing!!!

Mariposa Aristeo
                                @mariposa
                                  • Total Posts: 335

@jenwriter17 The Underground sounds very exciting and it looks like it has a lot of potential, especially if you put in some interesting plot twists. The title makes me think of the Civil War though.

I like the idea, but I still vote for 3 and 4. šŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >