Where do you live?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Where do you live?

Viewing 9 posts - 241 through 249 (of 249 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Hoven
    @sarah-h
      • Total Posts: 669

@anna-brie Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the First Fleet? I’ve not heard of that before. 🙂

@bluejay
      Oh, cool. My family doesn’t really celebrate Christmas or Easter either. It is a huge part of American culture; is that so in Australia? Australia Day sounds a lot like our Fourth of July, except we have fireworks. Do you do fireworks over there?
      Oh, fun. What kind of concert? Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday; it’s hard to imagine not having it. America seriously has way too many little insignificant holidays, like “Columbus Day”. I can never remember them all. I think the government just makes them up. And I’ve never seen anyone celebrate them; it’s just that all the banks and libraries and post offices go dormant for a day. Do you have holidays like that?

BlueJay
      @bluejay
        • Total Posts: 1622

@sarah-h Yeah, everyone goes crazy. I really don’t think most people understand what Christmas is about. They just celebrate it because they get presents.
        It is my singing teacher’s end of year concert. All her students, (those who want to) singing a song or two that they have learned that year. It’s lots of fun.
        We do not have small holidays like you do.
        And no, we don’t have fireworks. 🙁 Sorry, let me rephrase that. We have fireworks, but I have never been to a fireworks display.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by BlueJay.
        Anna Brie
        @anna-brie
          • Total Posts: 312

@Sarah-H
          The First Fleet was, well the First Fleet. About a thousand people on 11 ships came out from England to found the colony that was the first European settlement in Australia.

We actually do have some some public holidays for things like the Queens birthday, or a show day. They’re basically days most people don’t go to work. Nothing very significant.

And I’ve been to quite a lot of firework displays. There’s one in our area every year to raise money for the fire brigade and at a obscure little town I was at for a youth camp, they had some of the most beautiful fireworks for the queen’s birthday. I don’t why, or who pays for it. There’s so few people around to see them and there isn’t even a celebration in the capital cities.

Sarah Hoven
          @sarah-h

@Anna-Brie Ah, I should have guessed that. There’s only one first. 🙂 That is odd about the fireworks; over here, it’s the big cities that do it. I wonder if ours look different than yours. Lately, they’ve been coming out with shaped fireworks, like a heart or a smiley face. I don’t like them as much. Do you have that kind over there?

@bluejay
            I know, it’s dreadful. And even though “Christmas” is such a big deal, it’s practically illegal to put up nativity sets or Christ-themed decorations on public land, so everything’s centered around Santa Claus and reindeer. I feel like it gets emptier and more meaningless every year.
            Oh, I hope you get to see a fireworks show sometime. They’re really pretty.
            I was wondering, a while back you said you were dealing with some health problems. Are you better now?

BlueJay
            @bluejay
              • Total Posts: 1622

@sarah-h I’m better only because I on medication. After October as things run out, we won’t be replacing them, so we’ll find out if we’ve fixed the problem or not.

Hannah R.
              @his-instrument
                • Total Posts: 229

@bluejay It’s sad how much America has commercialized Christmas and Easter. My family has never done anything with Santa Claus (is Santa Claus even a thing in Australia?) and we have a “happy birthday Jesus” celebration every year on Christmas morning with family. Easter for us is just a great time to remember Jesus’ sacrifice. A lot of churches in my area do Lent, a forty-day period prior to Easter during which people fast something– it could be electronics, or chocolate, or even food altogether. The point is, in feeling your own sacrifice, you remember how what Jesus did is so much greater.
                Now, in America, chocolate Easter bunnies are a huge thing. While Easter has never been about bunnies to me, I will eat a solid chocolate rabbit if you give me one. But I read that in Australia they have chocolate Easter bilbies instead. Which is super cool. Are you familiar with that?
                I’ll be praying for your health problems.

YA Fantasy Writer
                Obsessive Character Namer
                Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Sarah Hoven
                @sarah-h

@bluejay Oh dear. What kind of medication is it? I’ll be praying for you, and I hope everything goes well in October/ November, when you stop taking it. How serious is it?

Anne of Lothlorien
                  @anne-of-lothlorien
                    • Total Posts: 440

Hey guys, it’s me! I live in Indiana, and while I love my state, I will admit it is very monotonous. We are best know for corn, soybeans, basketball, and racing. We who live in Indiana are called Hoosiers, but I prefer my made up word, Indianians. And Daeus would be an Ohioite. (I make up a lot of words)
                    That is weird that most of us are from Australia, Washingon, Ohio, and Indiana. As a favor, if anyone lives in a state bordering Indiana, than could you tell me what city you live in? I might be able to meet you sometime. I myself live in Walkerton, a tiny little town in Northern Indiana.
                    Too bad my relatives aren’t on here; they’re spread all over- Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Massachusets, Maryland, Texas, and sometimes Africa.

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Sarah Hoven
                    @sarah-h

Africa @anne-of-lothlorien! Wow, that is spread out. I lived in Illinois for a few years, and it sounds a lot like Indiana- corn and soybeans. I’ve never been to Indiana though. 🙂 Making up words is such fun. Indianians sounds way better than Hoosiers. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 241 through 249 (of 249 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    >