Where do you live?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Where do you live?

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 249 total)
  • Author
    Hope Ann
    @hope
      • Total Posts: 1092

@timothy-young That is fascinating! I know very little about any part of Africa and love hearing about new places. And perhaps…perhaps our government isn’t quite as bad as it could be… 😉

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Timothy Young
      @timothy-young
        • Total Posts: 23

Hey, President Obama does not have six wives does he? 🙂 President Zuma has had six. Though I think he has four now. He also built a mansion that cost 246 Million rand, of money that was not his for the taking… (Granted a rand is now rather weak to the dollar, but its the thought that counts). We also have the most expensive cabinet in the world (cabinet, as in the people helping the) which is composed of over 60 people, all paid in the hundreds of millions (of rand) every year.

So yes, fiscally, we have it worse.

But the Western Cape has good scenery! 😉

Sarah Hoven
        @sarah-h
          • Total Posts: 669

Oh my, and I thought we had it bad. Thanks for putting things into perspective. 🙂 What is South Africa’s climate spiritually? Is it hostile to Christianity, or not?

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 3976

Whew, yeah @Timothy-Young, that puts things here in perspective! 😛 At least you guys over there have learned not to depend on the government for everything, though. People seem to be very slow in catching on to that over here. :/

Anna Brie
            @anna-brie
              • Total Posts: 312

We have a federal election on Saturday.

MarkMcGuire
              @markmcguire
                • Total Posts: 22

Is a dollar still about 11 rand?

Jess
                @jess
                  • Total Posts: 575

@christianna-hellwig
                  I live in north Carolina too!
                  You are right about the summers, hot and humid. And we have lots of trees. Where do you live?

Fun fact: our state vegetable is the sweet potato. And we have the awesome outer banks! Oh yeah, we have the white water rafting center, where our Olympians train. (I guess that was three facts) @bluejay

Jess
                  @jess

I’m a little late but thought I would put it out there anyway. .. 🙂

Sarah Hoven
                    @sarah-h

@Jess – Hey, I used to live on the Outer Banks! They are awesome. Have you been to the Cape Hatteras lighthouse yet?

Jess
                      @jess

@sarah-h – Yes, I’ve been to the lighthouse, but it was during the off season, so we couldn’t climb it.

Christianna Hellwig
                        @christianna-hellwig
                          • Total Posts: 23

I’m in Rolesville right next to Raleigh; what about you?

Jess
                          @jess

@christianna-hellwig -I’m about twenty minutes away from Rolesville in Raleigh. I moved from California before, and like that state better though! Oh well, it’s not too bad here! 😉

Sarah Hoven
                            @sarah-h

Okay, here we are @bluejay @ClaireC.
                              I confess I do not know what quokkas or goanna are. You have the coolest animals over there. What kind of seals do you have? I never thought of seals being around Australia, I don’t know why. Have either of you been to the Great Barrier Reef? I want to go there one day; it sounds amazing. @bluejay It’s too bad that you had a fire. How much longer do you think it will take for the wildlife to recover? I’ve heard that bush fires are common in Australia. Is it something you have to worry about often? What kinds of snakes do you have to deal with? I take it that you and they don’t get along very well. Do you have to deal with spiders a lot too? I detest spiders. In the last place we lived, there would be one in the shower almost every morning. (Now I’m rambling.) What is the bush like? Is it rainforesty? We used to have pet cockatiels. Do you see them over there? Kookaburras and rainbow lorikeets are my favorite Australian birds, probably because I don’t know many others. Which parts of Australia have you traveled, @ClaireC ? Did you see the desert? Have you seen Ayers Rock? (I think that’s what it’s called.) Have you been to Tasmania? Did you say you lived in Queensland? I can’t remember. Is the northeast of Australia pretty much the same as the southeast? When we studied Australia, it seemed like even the coast on the west side of Australia is deserty, but that didn’t make sense. Is it really? What is the outback like? I’ve heard the term used a lot, but I’ve never seen a picture of it.

*surveys post* Ouch, you’d think I was playing Twenty Questions. The more I think, the more questions I have. I should stop. Thank you for taking the time to tell me about your country, though. I am very curious. 🙂

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Sarah Hoven.
                              BlueJay
                              @bluejay
                                • Total Posts: 1622

@sarah-h I wish you were able to come over so I could show you everything rather than telling you. (That’s not to say, that I dislike answering questions, but that it’s more fun in person)
                                We have a different garden now, no gumtrees in the front yard, so it’s possible that we are just not attracting them as much.
                                Tiger snakes, Red-bellied blacks, copper heads. And no, we don’t get along at all. I am so terrified of snakes.
                                You are talking to the spider catching champion in our family here. My sister is terrified of spiders even if it’s smaller than the head of a pin. So often she calls on me. We do get big spiders too, which aren’t as fun, but I’m pretty good with them. (oh dear, it sounds like I’m boasting.)
                                Where I live the bush is well…bushy. It isn’t rainforest down here. Lots of gum trees and grass tussocks.
                                I have traveled too. I’ve been to N.S.W. (New South Wales) and South Australia. My older sister just went to Queensland and Northern Territory.
                                I’ve never seen wild cockatails over here. But as pets, yes. 🙂
                                One of our most beautiful birds, is the wedge-tailed eagle. Kind of like the bald eagle for USA.
                                Any more questions???

Sarah Hoven
                                @sarah-h

@bluejay I know, it would be so much more fun in person. Oh well, maybe one day. 🙂
                                  Haha, we would complement each other well. I deal with the snakes, you kill the spiders. I’ve always thought snakes were cool, but the snakes I’m used to are harmless, so maybe that’s why. It’s funny, I used to be fine with spiders too (I used to catch them for fun) but I got bit one too many times. I know how your sister feels; one time, during family Bible time, I looked down and there was a little white jumping spider on the pillow on my lap, so without thinking I threw it and it hit my mother, who also doesn’t like spiders. She was not happy…
                                  I guess I’d have to see a picture of the bush to really understand it. I don’t think we have anything quite like it here in America. What is South Australia like? That’s the part of Australia I know the least about. Is it also bushy? Have you ever been to the seaside? What is it like? Here in America, the West Coast is really rocky, but the East has shallow sandy beaches. I don’t suppose you have palm trees there? In our beaches (at least the ones I’ve been to) there are palm trees, or mangroves, or sea oats along the water. Do you have different beach plants like that, or does the regular terrain go right up to the water?

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 249 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >