Where do I start my novel?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Idea Critiques Where do I start my novel?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    SleepwalkingMK
    @sleepwalkingmk
      • Total Posts: 179

Hi guys,
      I’m writing a fantasy novel about a girl from a another world and a boy from earth who have special lockets that give them powers (not magical powers, basically very hard to attain human gifts like amazing ability to communicate, genius strategies and heightened senses).
      I’ve started the story in four different places, and I still don’t know which parts are backstory and which part should be my introduction. The first intro I had was with the girl’s mom giving her the locket and then being killed by the villain (established girl’s motive), the second intro I had was with the girl being helped by hunters in the forest who take her in (established girl’s context), the third intro I had was with the boy defending his little brother (established boy’s character), and the fourth is with the girl and the hunters tracking where the boy will “come” when he gets to their world (establish story).
      I figured the first and third were backstory, and the second was not interesting enough, so now I’m experimenting with the forth, but I’m not sure. Any feedback?

Read to explore worlds, write to create them.

Rolena Hatfield
      @rolena-hatfield
        • Total Posts: 405

@sleepwalkingmk Hey this sounds like a neat story! There’s always so many ways you could start a story! In the end it’s up to you how you want to go about it, but from your snops of the your intros, from the readers perspective, I’d say the fourth sounds like a good start. I’d say the second and third are details that can be showed in the story as you go along and the first idea either sounds like a good thing for your MC to flashback too as a memory or you could use the first idea as a preface to the book.
        Hope that helps!

https://rolenahatfield.com/

Snapper
        @dragon-snapper
          • Total Posts: 3515

@sleepwalkingMK

Well, with the girl’s mom’s death from the villain, the villain should have a to have a reason to kill her. (Of course, most bad-guys don’t, but it might add to complexity) Perhaps the mom once had the locket and the powers, and the villain was getting back at her for that. He didn’t know that the locket was given to her daughter.
          As for where to start, it depends on who your MC is: the girl, or the boy. If the girl, then you could have her backstory as a prologue, and when she’s living with the hunters as the beginning. Then, when she meets the boy, he can have his own little flashback or he can explain his backstory to her when they meet. Vice versa for whoever the MC is.
          I love the idea! And good luck!
          -Dragon Snapper-

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Jess
          @jess
            • Total Posts: 575

@sleepwalkingMK

I personally like starting with the fourth idea. I think the first should be used as a flashback. The second and the third are good background information to be revealed throughout the first part of the novel. I like all the ideas though! Best of luck!

SleepwalkingMK
            @sleepwalkingmk
              • Total Posts: 179

@rolena-hatfield Thanks for your feedback. 🙂 I’ll work with the forth intro as the beginning and incorporate the others into the story.

@dragon-snapper
              Oh my goodness, you just described the mom’s backstory 🙂 The girl is the main character, so I like your idea of having the other openings as flashbacks or details in the story. Thanks!

@jess
              Thank you for your feedback 🙂 I’ll try to incorporate those intros in the story like you said.

Read to explore worlds, write to create them.

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy
                • Total Posts: 3976

@SleepwalkingMK— yeah. What they said. 😀

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Kate Flournoy.
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              >