When is it "to late" to outline your story?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions When is it "to late" to outline your story?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Hannah
    @salome01w4g
      • Total Posts: 991

Okie-dokie, I have an outlining question.
      So I’m 5 chapters into my story and in part two of the whole thing. I feel like I’m losing hold of my story (Not to mention I’m getting writing burn out.)
      and am wondering if I should create an outline for it, or is it to late to outline it.

I honestly have never outlined any of my writing before soooooo, I have a feeling it would be a bit of a disaster.
      @winter-rose @emily @catwing and anyone else who wants to jump in/ has any advice

~I don’t know what I’m doing~

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@Salome01w4g never. Seriously, never too late. If you’re serious about this story and an outline is what it’s gonna take, outline it.
        I’ve been very vocal in the past about my hatred of outlining, but lately I’ve been eating some pretty serious humble pie and planning to outline all the rest of my ideas from here on out. Too late for my current one (it’s in third draft and an outline wouldn’t change much) but for all the rest… yep, I’m definitely trying it. The more involved you get with time, the more you need one. Go for it.

Hannah
        @salome01w4g

alrighty…… my schedule for the next week of writing just got way hard…. 😀 thank you for the advice! @kate-flournoy

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy

@Salome01w4g *grins* You can do it. Go forth and conquer.

Hannah
            @salome01w4g

@kate-flournoy

deep breath, means I have to do lots of ahem…. history research…. :'(

Anonymous
                • Total Posts: 1330

I totally get you, @salome01w4g! I despise outlining too and until recently, I had never done any unless it was required in school or something. The way that @that_writer_girl_99 said to do it has really worked great for me. It doesn’t take long, and it isn’t like the standard Roman numeral, Arabic numeral, a, b, c, thing. All you have to do is write down every detail of your story on a blank sheet of paper. It is so easy and fast. I kind of had to outline my story when it was already half way done, but it still worked and my story is going GREAT now. I hope this helps a little.

Kate Flournoy
                @kate-flournoy

@salome01w4g ooh brother, now there I do not envy you. 😛

Hannah
                  @salome01w4g

yep, I doubt ANYONE envies my position 😉 @kate-flournoy (also this is totally unrelated , how do you pronounce you last name??)

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy

@Salome01w4g Heh. It’s Flor-noy. The Flour rhymes with door. 😉

Catwing
                      @catwing
                        • Total Posts: 2557

@salome01w4g I wrote two drafts and started a third before I outlined… So I outlined the fourth draft. Never too late! 😸

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

Hannah R.
                        @his-instrument
                          • Total Posts: 229

@salome01w4g I just figured out that it’s great to outline in post-it notes. I write each plot point on a different note and stick it on my bedroom wall. Each character has their own color, and I write the year/date of the occurrence in one of the top corners so it’s consistent throughout. So you’ll end up with a line of post-it notes all across your wall. And you can move pieces around until you get it the way it satisfies you. Then, take them all and stick them on a piece of paper, in order, and put it in a page-protector. Or, once you’ve got the colorful visual, type it up in an orderly way. It works for me because I like to see things in bright colors and moveable pieces. It helps my brain. 🙂 Anyway, I used that method a couple of chapters into one of my fantasy stories, and it’s worked out so far.

YA Fantasy Writer
                          Obsessive Character Namer
                          Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Catwing
                          @catwing
                            • Total Posts: 2557

@his-instrument Great idea!

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

SeekJustice
                            @seekjustice
                              • Total Posts: 3365

@salome01w4g I second everyone else here, it is never too late to outline and I thoroughly suggest you do it.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Hannah
                              @salome01w4g

@his-instrument oh that is a really good idea!! Thanks!

@seekjustice
                                , thank you!!

Anonymous
                                  • Total Posts: 1486

@salome01w4g Yep I agree with everyone. It is never too late to outline. 🙂 I also find it helpful to write down what my main characters (The protagonist, antagonist, major side characters, etc.) want and what they could do to achieve those goals, along with how those goals can get in the way of each other.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >