What's the best book you've read recently?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions What's the best book you've read recently?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Kaya Young
    @kaya-young
      • Total Posts: 272

Ok y’all, I’m about to go off on a book rant because I just read an AMAZING book, and it’s the best I’ve read in a long time. Why? It made me think deeper, and while I may fangirl over a lot of different books, they still don’t make me think about things differently or leave me so… sad that it’s over.

It’s Dawn of Wonder by Jonathan Renshaw. At first I didn’t like it. I didn’t enjoy the writing style, it was slow, and I wasn’t engaged in the story until chapter 7. Then I realized how much it had to set up.

The world building, dialogue and plot are wonderful, and you find yourself transported to a land where a boy is smart and strong but can’t face some things on his own. You find yourself looking helplessly to a government that can’t fix things, and you are disgusted by men who think they are doing things right but really are corrupt, disfunctional or evil. You cry when you see injustice, and you laugh at the silly little things.

But the most importantly? the theme of the book is consistent throughout, and it leaves you with a beautiful picture of redemption and forgiveness without being forced or contrived. To me, that is what makes a good book.

So anyway, my questions for you guys are:

• Has anyone read Dawn of Wonder?
      • What is the last book you read that made you think deeper?

@rochellaine
        @jenwriter17  @warrioroftherealm (there’s a lot of political intrigue) @ingridrd  @any-one

The Kingdom has been torn asunder...
      http://www.encircledbygrace.com/

Jenna Terese
      @jenwriter17
        • Total Posts: 2522

@kaya-young wow, this books sounds cool! *goes to check it out on Goodreads*

most of my reading lately has been for school, but…..

I just finished A Time to Die, by Nadine Brandes. (warning: mild spoilers!!!) Everyone (in the USE-United States of the East) has a clock that tells them exactly when they’re going to die. It’s not like I was thinking super deep while reading this, but it got me thinking more about God’s will. We can’t change when we die, and we never know the exact moment. A few times I wondered if I wanted a Clock like in the story, so I’d know how much time I’d have left to do good in the world, but I think we as Christians should always be striving to do God’s will without knowing our deadline.

that said, the book was awesome 🙂

Other books that can get me thinking deeper: The Kingdom series, Knights of Arrethtrae series, Wars of the Realms series

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
        www.jennaterese.com

Kaya Young
        @kaya-young

@jenwriter17  Yes! read Dawn of Wonder ASAP! 😉

A Time to Die sounds really interesting! I’ll have to find it. Thanks for answering!

Joy
          @dekreel
            • Total Posts: 2304

@kaya-young  Good topic idea! Let’s see…. The most recent thing I can think of is Shakespeare’s play, Richard III. I haven’t read Act 5, though, so no spoilers X)

You can pronounce it however you want.

Anonymous
              • Total Posts: 103

@kaya-young I didn’t exactly read it, per se (listened to Focus on the Family’s dramatized version of it) but Les Miserable is a book I could probably rant about for hours on end. I also listened to Oliver Twist, and it is now also a favorite of mine. I’ll have to read these two one of these days…

One that I actually read, though, was Christy. The characters were all do beautifully and brilliantly done, and I loved everything about it. I cried and laughed with the characters, and I felt like I was a part of their world. I loved it sooooo much!!!

Kaya Young
              @kaya-young

@dekreel OOoohh! Shakespeare!

@radically-surrendered  Oliver Twist is great! I’m not sure if I’ve read Christy or it just sounds familiar. I’ll have to find it!

Elizabeth
                @that_writer_girl_99
                  • Total Posts: 1819

I can’t stop thinking about this book I read a few weeks ago.

<i>Scythe, </i>by Neal Shusterman. I’m not gonna give any spoilers plot-wise, but suffice it to say that this book has amazing worldbuilding, the character development is really well done, and the overall concept of the book isn’t at all what I expected it to be–it’s better.

This book is so good, I read it in two hours. Two. Hours. The whole thing.

Read it, read it, read it. That’s all I can say.

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Kaya Young
                  @kaya-young

@that_writer_girl_99  Neat! I’ll have to read it. 😉

I’m starting to desperately need to go to the library to get all these books!

Sage G
                    @sage-g
                      • Total Posts: 45

@kaya-young Back in December I read, To Kill a Mockingbird, for the first time, and I really really enjoyed it. It was one of my favorites of the entire year. I don’t know why I didn’t read it sooner! 🙂

I also read, Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale. It’s a Grimm’s fairytale re-telling, and it was surprisingly good! Shannon Hale is a great story teller.

I just looked up Dawn of Wonder, and it sounds really interesting. It’s also free on kindle, which makes me happy! 😉

https://sageinthemeadow.wordpress.com

Bella B.
                      @ashlyvye
                        • Total Posts: 96

Ooo! I’ve never read Dawn of Wonder but I’ll have to check it out soon!

The best book series I’ve read recently is definitely the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.  It’s absolutely amazing!  It was incredibly interesting the whole way through (except chapter 5 in the Final Empire….)  It was so much fun to read and I can definitely say this is my favorite trilogy ever!  If I had to only pick one book then probably the Final Empire (first Mistborn book.)

*insert awesome signature because I'm a bit too lazy to come up with one*

Rochellaine
                        @rochellaine
                          • Total Posts: 3322

@kaya-young Sorry I didn’t reply sooner.  The reason was kinda because I haven’t been doing much reading lately and had to think back a while to figure out what books to mention. *covers face in shame* *peeks out* But…

I recently introduced my grandmother to the author Isabella Alden.  If you haven’t heard of her, you may have heard of her niece, Grace Livingston Hill.  If you haven’t heard of Grace Livingston Hill, you’ve heard of her now, so go find some books by her and read them immediately!  *holds out GLH books threateningly*

Grace Livingston Hill is sometimes credited with inventing the genre of Christian Romance – and her books, written from about 1900 to 1940 are much cleaner than modern Christian romance books. 😀  Isabella Alden wrote in the 1870s-90s, and her books are also extremely good.  Her Ester Ried series is one series that made me think more deeply than most other books I’ve read.

If you have a kindle you can get a lot of books by both of those authors free. If you don’t have a kindle, you can also find them on Project Gutenberg to read online.  Or else, just order the old books or the reprints on Amazon! 🙂

…Actually, the books that really make me think lately are my law school books because I have to think when I study them… 😀 😀

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Kaya Young
                          @kaya-young

@sage-g  I’ll have to check out Book of a Thousand Days. Kindle is wonderful!

@ashlyvye
                              Ohhh! You really like the Mistborn Trilogy!. 😉 I’ll have to find and read them!

@rochellaine
                              HHmm… I like old romance novels! I’ll have to read those too before you *threateningly* throw those GLH books at me!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >