Home Forums General Writing Discussions What You Think of When You Hear the Word "Texas"

This topic contains 92 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Emma Flournoy 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 93 total)
  • Author

Shannon
    @shannon
    • Total Posts: 447

@f5a8c3e92 Very interesting. I did not know that. I did know that Australia was a place where England “marooned” her criminals @jane-maree. I read about it in geography. Are Aussies sensitive about that fact? I know what vegemite is, and personally, I would go with @perfectfifths, and refuse to consume it. But what is Weetbix?

Holly Nelson-Gray
    @holly-nelson-gray
    • Total Posts: 53

@shannon Weetbix are little brick shaped thingies made out of wheat 🙂

The Impossible Girl
    @f5a8c3e92
    • Total Posts: 133

@shannon Most Aussies are pretty chill and we’re rarely sensitive about anything. XD
    We’re mostly a migrant nation, anyway. So, less criminal ancestry and more European immigrants.
    As @holly-nelson-gray said, Weetbix are brick shaped thingies made of wheat. Generally consumed with milk (these things absorb like there’s no tomorrow) and some fruit or a drizzle of honey on top; these are perfect for an Aussie brekkie.
    I should do Weetbix advertisements! As for disliking Vegemite… sacrilege!
    Vegemite is beautiful… it’s just that many foreigners consume too much at once, which is terrible for first-timers. It’s quite strong stuff.

Shannon
    @shannon

Well thank you for your wonderful insight @holly-gray-nelson and @f5a8c3e92! Now if I ever go too Australia, I will have people thinking I’m a native, with my newly acquired knowledge of weetbix and vegemite. Now if I can just get that Australian accent down…; )

Hannah R.
    @his-instrument
    • Total Posts: 216

@shannon Hi! I don’t think I’ve met you yet! As usual, I’m late to the discussion, but for what it’s worth, I’ll give my opinion.
    Like most people, my first thought is a great big cowboy hat. Scorpions also come to mind, since I had friends from Texas who had to deal with scorpions.
    I think of some sand and deserts, but also of bluebonnets (is that accurate?) because someone gave me a postcard that has the words “Texas bluebonnets” on it.
    I’m from Ohio, and a lot of us say “y’all,” too. Although I picked it up from my friends from Texas, so I think you guys started it. 🙂 Ohio people, and Eastern U.S. people in general, have trouble spelling “y’all,” though. They want to put the apostrophe after the a instead of after the y. That drives me crazy because I’m a grammar nerd, and you just put the apostrophe where you took out the letters!
    Anyway. Glad to meet you!

Shannon
    @shannon

Hey @his-instrument, It is nice to meet you too! Bluebonnets are the state flower here. And scorpions are a huge problem! We just moved into a new house a couple years ago, and we finally exterminated them a couple months ago. Thank you so much for your input!

Jane Maree
    @jane-maree
    • Total Posts: 707

@shannon I’ve never heard of an Aussie being sensitive about criminal ancestry. I’m inordinately proud of it to the extent that it makes no sense. XD

Kate Flournoy
    @kate-flournoy
    • Total Posts: 3770

@shannon UGH. *shivers* Brings back very… uh… questionably pleasant memories. 😛

Louise Fowler
    @perfectfifths
    • Total Posts: 461

@f5a8c3e92 @shannon Yeah, people who don’t know it do take too much. It’s not like peanut butter where you can spread it all over and the worst you get is a sticky mouth. I once watched American people trying Australian foods, and when they got to the Vegemite, they were spreading too much, and one dude took a whole spoonful and ate it, and gagged.

SeekJustice
    @seekjustice
    • Total Posts: 277

@perfectfifths Vegemite is wonderful when taken in small doses. otherwise…urgh.
    @jane-maree, we’re really an odd bunch aren’t we? We are ridiculously proud of our convict ancestry and people like Ben Hall and Ned Kelly and the Breaker. I wonder what’s wrong with us.
    @shannon you might be interested to know that a year or two ago Cadbury released a limited edition vegemite chocolate, which was literally one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever tasted. They haven’t tried Weetbix chocolate yet though, thank goodness 😀

Louise Fowler
    @perfectfifths
    • Total Posts: 461

@seekjustiace Oh yes, I heard about the Vegemite chocolate. My friend and her mum and brother tried it, and I think they said it was disgusting. It just sounds disgusting.

Shannon
    @shannon

@jane-maree LOL. Good to know! ; )

@perfectfifths I’m not sure if I could get up the guts to try vegemite.

@seekjustice Vegemite chocolate? That exists? I don’t think that I would like that either! Weetbix chocolate…Hmmm, I think that that would kinda end up looking like kit-kats, with the weetbix in the the middle and the chocolate coating it.

Shannon
    @shannon

I like that phrase @kate-flournoy

questionalbly pleasant memories

😜
    Later that day we went swimming, with out realizing that there were still a couple hundred floating around the pool. It wasn’t really that fun. But hey, at least I will have a great story to tell my kids some day when they survive their first “ant attack”!

Emma Flournoy
    @emma-flournoy
    • Total Posts: 1175

@shannon Ack. When I was little in TX and we were fixing to go somewhere one day, I was wearing sandals and stepped right in a fire ant hill. OWWWWWW. My feet didn’t return to their normal color for awhile. Red welts all over. I don’t like fire ants.
    Hopefully the effects for y’all were somewhat neutralized in all that water… 😛

The Impossible Girl
    @f5a8c3e92
    • Total Posts: 133

@seekjustice Weetbix chocolate doesn’t sound like such a bad idea, actually…

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.