What You Think of When You Hear the Word "Texas"

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions What You Think of When You Hear the Word "Texas"

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 859

@f5a8c3e92 Very interesting. I did not know that. I did know that Australia was a place where England “marooned” her criminals @jane-maree. I read about it in geography. Are Aussies sensitive about that fact? I know what vegemite is, and personally, I would go with @perfectfifths, and refuse to consume it. But what is Weetbix?

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 53

@Shannon Weetbix are little brick shaped thingies made out of wheat 🙂

The Impossible Girl
        @f5a8c3e92
          • Total Posts: 146

@Shannon Most Aussies are pretty chill and we’re rarely sensitive about anything. XD
          We’re mostly a migrant nation, anyway. So, less criminal ancestry and more European immigrants.
          As @holly-nelson-gray said, Weetbix are brick shaped thingies made of wheat. Generally consumed with milk (these things absorb like there’s no tomorrow) and some fruit or a drizzle of honey on top; these are perfect for an Aussie brekkie.
          I should do Weetbix advertisements! As for disliking Vegemite… sacrilege!
          Vegemite is beautiful… it’s just that many foreigners consume too much at once, which is terrible for first-timers. It’s quite strong stuff.

"Not all who wander are lost."
          Wild Australian. INXJ.

Anonymous

Well thank you for your wonderful insight @holly-gray-nelson and @f5a8c3e92! Now if I ever go too Australia, I will have people thinking I’m a native, with my newly acquired knowledge of weetbix and vegemite. Now if I can just get that Australian accent down…; )

Hannah R.
            @his-instrument
              • Total Posts: 229

@shannon Hi! I don’t think I’ve met you yet! As usual, I’m late to the discussion, but for what it’s worth, I’ll give my opinion.
              Like most people, my first thought is a great big cowboy hat. Scorpions also come to mind, since I had friends from Texas who had to deal with scorpions.
              I think of some sand and deserts, but also of bluebonnets (is that accurate?) because someone gave me a postcard that has the words “Texas bluebonnets” on it.
              I’m from Ohio, and a lot of us say “y’all,” too. Although I picked it up from my friends from Texas, so I think you guys started it. 🙂 Ohio people, and Eastern U.S. people in general, have trouble spelling “y’all,” though. They want to put the apostrophe after the a instead of after the y. That drives me crazy because I’m a grammar nerd, and you just put the apostrophe where you took out the letters!
              Anyway. Glad to meet you!

YA Fantasy Writer
              Obsessive Character Namer
              Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Anonymous

Hey @his-instrument, It is nice to meet you too! Bluebonnets are the state flower here. And scorpions are a huge problem! We just moved into a new house a couple years ago, and we finally exterminated them a couple months ago. Thank you so much for your input!

Jane Maree
                @jane-maree
                  • Total Posts: 909

@Shannon I’ve never heard of an Aussie being sensitive about criminal ancestry. I’m inordinately proud of it to the extent that it makes no sense. XD

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy
                    • Total Posts: 3976

@Shannon UGH. *shivers* Brings back very… uh… questionably pleasant memories. 😛

Louise Fowler
                    @perfectfifths
                      • Total Posts: 726

@f5a8c3e92 @shannon Yeah, people who don’t know it do take too much. It’s not like peanut butter where you can spread it all over and the worst you get is a sticky mouth. I once watched American people trying Australian foods, and when they got to the Vegemite, they were spreading too much, and one dude took a whole spoonful and ate it, and gagged.

Currently reading Les Miserables

SeekJustice
                      @seekjustice
                        • Total Posts: 3365

@perfectfifths Vegemite is wonderful when taken in small doses. otherwise…urgh.

@jane-maree
                        , we’re really an odd bunch aren’t we? We are ridiculously proud of our convict ancestry and people like Ben Hall and Ned Kelly and the Breaker. I wonder what’s wrong with us.
                        @Shannon you might be interested to know that a year or two ago Cadbury released a limited edition vegemite chocolate, which was literally one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever tasted. They haven’t tried Weetbix chocolate yet though, thank goodness 😀

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Louise Fowler
                        @perfectfifths
                          • Total Posts: 726

@seekjustiace Oh yes, I heard about the Vegemite chocolate. My friend and her mum and brother tried it, and I think they said it was disgusting. It just sounds disgusting.

Currently reading Les Miserables

Anonymous

@Jane-maree LOL. Good to know! ; )

@perfectfifths
                            I’m not sure if I could get up the guts to try vegemite.

@seekjustice
                            Vegemite chocolate? That exists? I don’t think that I would like that either! Weetbix chocolate…Hmmm, I think that that would kinda end up looking like kit-kats, with the weetbix in the the middle and the chocolate coating it.

Anonymous

I like that phrase @kate-flournoy

questionalbly pleasant memories

😜
                              Later that day we went swimming, with out realizing that there were still a couple hundred floating around the pool. It wasn’t really that fun. But hey, at least I will have a great story to tell my kids some day when they survive their first “ant attack”!

Emma Flournoy
                              @emma-flournoy
                                • Total Posts: 1352

@Shannon Ack. When I was little in TX and we were fixing to go somewhere one day, I was wearing sandals and stepped right in a fire ant hill. OWWWWWW. My feet didn’t return to their normal color for awhile. Red welts all over. I don’t like fire ants.
                                Hopefully the effects for y’all were somewhat neutralized in all that water… 😛

The Impossible Girl
                                @f5a8c3e92
                                  • Total Posts: 146

@seekjustice Weetbix chocolate doesn’t sound like such a bad idea, actually…

"Not all who wander are lost."
                                  Wild Australian. INXJ.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 93 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >