What You Think of When You Hear the Word "Texas"

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions What You Think of When You Hear the Word "Texas"

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Louise Fowler
    @perfectfifths
      • Total Posts: 726

@shannon No, I do not. I live in Western Australia. And even though it has the word “Western” in it, it’s nothing at all like the Wild West 😉

Currently reading Les Miserables

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 859

Yah, @perfectfifths, I realized after I asked you where you live that your home page says Australia…woops! Do you guys have fire ants there? If not, I’m about to impart a narrative that might be interesting.

Louise Fowler
        @perfectfifths

@shannon We might, but we may not call them fire ants specifically. We have what we call bull ants though.

Anonymous

@kate-flournoy & @emma-flournoy: What happened this morning to us made me think of you guys. Basically we had a fire ant explosion behind our pool. Yes, you heard me correctly…fire ants. @emily and I decided that I would supply pictures, and she would tell the details of this incredible event. So, here are some pictures. Don’t worry, they will be explained soon.

pool
            So, this is our pool. Pay close attention to the waterfall. That is where it mainly happened.

ants
            This is behind the waterfall, and the thing covered with white stuff is the ant bed.

Anonymous
              • Total Posts: 1330

@kate-flournoy @emma-flournoy Along the right side of the pool there was a long trail of ants which @shannon swept into the grass while I netted probably around a thousand ants out of the pool. Amazingly nobody got stung!

Anonymous

Ok @kate-flournoy and @emma-flournoy to flesh that out for you–the ants actually were up inside the waterfall. When my mom turned on the waterfall, they exploded everywhere. We think that they were inside the waterfall trying to get water. Let’s just say that they got more than they needed. I got the most interesting job of sweeping away the trail of dead ants so that my nieces and nephews (who are coming over this afternoon) don’t freak out.

Anonymous

We just thought that you guys would find this interesting after your long history of fire ant attacks when you lived here. Truly everything is bigger in Texas. Even the ant beds.

The Impossible Girl
                  @f5a8c3e92
                    • Total Posts: 146

@Shannon *ahem* *adjusts glasses* I just felt the need to add this on the topic of accents (even though it has probably already been and gone). So, North America was colonised quite some time before Australia. England actually used to have what is now the American accent. Over time it was not, as many believe, America that had changed, but England themselves. So, when it came to colonising Australia, we kept most of what the English accent had become… then made a few of our own adjustments. Thank you. Now, I must obey the bidding of my stomach and leave to consume my Weetbix.

"Not all who wander are lost."
                    Wild Australian. INXJ.

Louise Fowler
                    @perfectfifths

@f5a8c3e92 Oh yeah, I heard about that before too. Oh, and Weetbix! That’s a very Australian thing too 😉 Although I don’t eat them myself (or Vegemite)

Jane Maree
                      @jane-maree
                        • Total Posts: 909

@f5a8c3e92 Yass I heard that a while ago. *nods* IT WASN’T OUR FAULT. It was the fault of our wonderful criminal ancestry and probably most of the convicts never had a decent education or learnt ‘proper english’ even as it was at that stage.

@PerfectFifths
                        no weetbix??? Or Vegemite?? SHAME ON YOU. XD

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Louise Fowler
                        @perfectfifths

@jane-maree Yeah, I know, I can’t be a true-blue Aussie if I don’t 😉 But I am a picky eater, and usually if something doesn’t get past the smell test, it can’t move on to the taste test, and Vegemite doesn’t pass 😉 XD

Jane Maree
                          @jane-maree
                            • Total Posts: 909

@PerfectFifths hehehe okay that makes sense. XD *pats* I forgive you. 😛

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Anonymous
                              • Total Posts: 53

@shannon Just thought I’d add my two cents. Australian accents are very different from English accents. The biggest difference for me is that most Enlglish people tend to be very soft-spoken…
                              As to what I think of when someone says ‘Texas’…

On a vacation to Australia, a Texas farmer meets an Aussie farmer and starts talking to him about his farm.

The Aussie takes him to see his big wheat field, but the Texan wasn’t impressed.

“We have wheat fields that are twice as large as this one,” he told the Aussie.

The Aussie farmer drives him around the ranch and shows off his big herd of cattle.

“Oh, our longhorns are at least twice as big as these,” the Texan bragged.

The Aussie farmer is getting frustrated when the Texan notices a herd of kangaroos hopping across a field.

“What on earth are those?” he asks.

The Aussie turns to him with an astonished look. “Don’t you have any grasshoppers in Texas?”

There we go. Texas is the land of big animals and big talkers.

Louise Fowler
                              @perfectfifths

@holly-nelson-gray I love it! XD

Anonymous

@holly-nelson-gray LOL! That is a fun story. And yes, I agree, everybody here knows that everything is bigger here. Except the grasshoppers XD

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 93 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >