What You Think of When You Hear the Word "Texas"

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions What You Think of When You Hear the Word "Texas"

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien
      • Total Posts: 440

@shannon From what I’ve heard, they’re usually just normal lullabies. But when drovers watch the cattle at night on drives, they would actually sing them to sleep.

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

NC Stokes
      @daughteroftheking
        • Total Posts: 1156

@Shannon Hm, I thought Six Flags was the reason people lived in Texas. XD *furrows brow* Cow lullabies? Well, um, moo. I hail from Rohan, but my earthish home is the southwestern USA. We have cacti, corn, and scrubby little plants we call “trees,” but are more like overachieving bushes. Nothing super green. Whenever I visit Texas, I keep telling my dad, “Look! Look at that tree! It’s, like, green.” 😛 Oh, and I nearly forgot the wind turbines!! One of the first things that pop into my head when I think about Texas.

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 859

@anne-of-lothlorien That’s neat. I don’t really have much experience with cattle. I have worked at a horse ranch though.

Ok, @daughteroftheking now I think I understand why you call TX green. Maybe 😉. I don’t like roller coasters, so I technically can’t like Six Flags. ; )

SeekJustice
          @seekjustice
            • Total Posts: 3365

@Shannon, being Aussie, and only just having woken up, I have extremely stereotyped views of Texas. I`m thinking deserts, cacti, bow-legged cowboys in black ten-galleon hats and stations (ranches?). Kind of like a smaller version of Australia?

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Anonymous

Yes, @seekjustice, we have all of those here. But don’t be mistaken, because Texas is a lot more than that. A whole section of Texas is pine trees and forests, and another (where I live) is what we call the “Hill Country”. It is really pretty, though not lush and green. Oh, and there’s cactus everywhere. And cowboys 🤠. Then of course, there are deserts, but I don’t know what those even look like. Anyway, thanks for your input. It is really interesting to hear what people from a completely different country think of my state!

NC Stokes
              @daughteroftheking

@Shannon *ears perk up* A horse ranch!? How neat! You don’t like roller coasters? Aw. Well, you’re missing out on… um, near death experiences? I actually have no idea why rollers coasters are so fun. (I like them anyway. 😛 )

Jane Maree
                @jane-maree
                  • Total Posts: 909

@Shannon WELL HERE I GO.
                  Texas makes me think of…hotdogs, people with huge American drawl-y accents, and cowboy hats.
                  That is the end of my stereotypical envisioning. XD
                  Australian person over and out.

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Anonymous

Thanks @jane-maree! Americans have accents? *astonished stare* I thought Aussies did! ; )

Anonymous

Well, @daughteroftheking (by the way, I really like your name) I’m not really a thrill person : ( My little brother and sisters think I’m crazy. My mom understands. : )

Jane Maree
                      @jane-maree

@Shannon nooooo we absolutely don’t have accents. You do. Of course. XD

Snapper
                        @dragon-snapper
                          • Total Posts: 3515

@jane-maree What does any American accent sound like?

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Anonymous

Oh, I guess you have never heard a North Dakota accent @dragon-snapper, or a southern accent. Oh, and then there is the Donald Trump accent. ; )

But it would be really interesting to hear someone imitate an American accent. My dad and little brother love doing Indian, Asian, and Shri Lanka (if that is how you spell it) accents.

Anonymous

By the way, I am not making fun of Donald Trump. My family and I thought that Ted Cruz would be a better president, but Trump’s way better than Hillary Clinton.

Jane Maree
                              @jane-maree

@Dragon-snapper There are lots of different sorts of American accents. But one of the most prominent parts about it is the fact that you actually pronounce the ‘r’s in words. Aussies don’t do that. Other than that, it’s kinda hard to explain…

NC Stokes
                                @daughteroftheking

@Shannon Oh, thank you! Not being a thrill person is a-ok. *fingerguns* 😀

@jane-maree
                                  Wait, if you don’t pronounce r’s, how do you say Australia? What with the R right in the middle? I am very curious. *looks at you expectantly*

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 93 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >