What to do with a blog/website ?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Publishing & Platform What to do with a blog/website ?

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    itisastarrynight
    @itisastarrynight
      • Total Posts: 134

I have heard of how important it is for authors who plan to publish to create a platform as early as possible. A way you can do this is by having a blog/website. But what if you don’t know what to post about? there isn’t a point in having a platform if you don’t. If you are an amateur writer and are not in the position to give writing advice or anything, what do you say? Do you spend all of your posts as opportunities to talk about the project you’re working on? how does that attract new people if its all self-advertising?  

So what is the point in having a platform if you don’t know what to do with it? What do you do with it if you are inexperienced in your craft?

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me if you comment as there probably is an obvious answer I’m just unfamiliar with.

PS please don’t be offended if I don’t reply for quite a long time as I am going on a trip tomorrow.. I guess I didn’t plan the timing for this post right. Sorry about that in advance!

I can't believe it's not butter!

MNValentine
      @mnvalentine
        • Total Posts: 123

Hi!

I haven’t started a website or blog yet but I plan to reasonably soon, and I’ve been looking through a lot of them. Don’t worry about not being in a position to give writing advice, because that isn’t what should go on your website. A website or blog put together by an author as a way of platforming should have content for readers, not for other writers. I mean, it’s definitely okay to have a writer’s corner type feature on the site, but if you’re trying to find readers, you want to put up something for them to read.

Consider writing a serial story or a series of short stories for it. Also, here are some tips for advertising your book without sounding too much like you’re self-advertising…

-Talk about your story as itself. Don’t compare it to other novels or go on about its good messages and characters and how awesome it is. Just talk about what it’s about and even its themes; but don’t say it in a self-promotional way. That sounds confusing. What I mean is, don’t write things like ‘The new Narnia series is on its way! Read my book with its brilliant writing and classic-level messages. I will soon be a NYT bestselling author!!!!’ Okay, that was exaggerating slightly. But you get the idea (hopefully). Just write and be friendly.

Especially be friendly. Don’t act like you’re famous and aloof. Sound human.

Okay, that was a long and confusing post, but I hope there was something helpful in there somewhere 🙂

Silence! Silence everyone, for the king's speech!

MNValentine
        @mnvalentine

The other things you could post could include things about your world – maps, character art, clothing examples, what they eat.

itisastarrynight
          @itisastarrynight

@mnvalentine Yes that makes sense . Thank you!
            Especially liked:
            A website or blog put together by an author as a way of platforming should have content for readers, not for other writers.”
            “Talk about your story as itself. Don’t compare it to other novels or go on about its good messages and characters and how awesome it is. Just talk about what it’s about”

itisastarrynight
            @itisastarrynight

Also, question: Should a website focus more on the author and the person behind it or be a site mostly dedicated to the project alone? I’m guessing its more preference, but I’m curious.

MNValentine
              @mnvalentine

I would say that a general author site should be focused on the author, but the author as a writer – so it should mostly have content about the stories you’re writing, but with things about you, and not really focusing on one project. This is so that you are using one platform to advertise all of your writing, not just one story. I have read that readers like to know things about the authors as well, and I sometimes do as well.

I think overall it’s a matter of preference.

Daeus
                @daeus
                  • Total Posts: 4238

@itisastarrynight Blogs, like social media, serve two potential purposes. 1, To promote yourself/get people on your email list. 2, To interact with readers. Actually, they also serve a third purpose of helping you get used to writing regularly.

If you really want your blog to be a major way you promote yourself, you need to blog about something that will draw a lot of people in. Unless you’re already famous, just blogging about your life probably won’t draw many people in. Here’s something not many people recognize: you don’t have to blog about anything book related. Sure, it’s great if you do, but if your passion is bird watching and you know you can write a lot of blog posts about bird watching that will draw in thousands of bird watchers from all over the globe, then blog about that. If blogging is about followers to you, then blog about what will get you followers. Even if your book has nothing to do with what you’re blogging about, you can still sell your novel to your blog readers because they know you.

If you don’t need your blog to be a big part of your platform (there are other very good ways to build your platform), then I’d say just try to make your blog as fun as possible. You may have only 100 followers, but make it a tight group. If you want to do something like this, check out @ethryndal’s blog: The Sarcastic Elf. She posts about the most random stuff that I honestly don’t care much about, but I read everything she writes because she’s really really fun.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

itisastarrynight
                  @itisastarrynight

@daeus @mnvalentine Thank you!

Snapper
                    @dragon-snapper
                      • Total Posts: 3515

@itisastarrynight So, I had that exact same question just a week ago.

And I started a blog. I had no idea what I was going to write about, but as soon as I started it, I started finding ideas.

To get a general idea of what bloggers blog about, I’d check out a bunch of blogs. There are some good ones on the page of my blog.

For me, I get the ideas as I go. I’ve started by posting about writing, but I’ll also want to post about my WIPs eventually.

The thing about blogging is that you’re absolutely free to do whatever you want. I’ve just started, and it is amazingly fun so far!

You can check out my blog here if you want.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

itisastarrynight
                      @itisastarrynight

@dragon-snapper I’m glad it’s working out for you! And I think I will have to observe how other people tackle it.

Snapper
                        @dragon-snapper
                          • Total Posts: 3515

@itisastarrynight For me, simple observing has been the best. I’ve actually been observing for a year and  half now. O.O Woah… that long, self? Weird.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        >