What Is Your Favourite Tool To Use As A Writer?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions What Is Your Favourite Tool To Use As A Writer?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Emily D
    @emily-d
      • Total Posts: 168

Hey writers!

So, I was wondering: What is your favourite tool (or tools) to use as a writer? I probably should say that I’m referring to “tool” as a resource or source of inspiration. And, before you say it, Kingdom Pen, its courses, articles, et cetera, go without saying. 😉

Mine is probably *drum roll* the thesaurus. I love it, I love it, I love it. And seriously, where else are you going to be reminded of words like “accolade,” “crestfallen,” or “sultry?”

I’d love to hear what your favourite resources are!

@perfectfifths
      @holly-nelson-gray @jayniecatgirl08 @rolena-hatfield @emily @joy @epicaddie2 @dragon-snapper @salome01w4g @mariposa @dragon-watcher @anne-of-lothlorien @dragon-watcher @so-sorry-to-anyone-else-that-I’ve-forgotten-please-feel-free-to-join-in

• This topic was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Emily D.

I tell my story. Not so that I get glory, but so that others may know Hope.

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

@emily-d

On the same line, if you have a mac, right-clicking on a word and then selecting “look up ‘word'” will bring up a dictionary, thesaurus, and short Wikipedia description of that word. It’s super helpful. If you have a laptop, it’s even easier. Simply hover the mouse over a word and then tap the trackpad with three fingers.

I love macs. 😀

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Josiah DeGraaf
        @aratrea
          • Total Posts: 717

@emily-d “The Emotion Thesaurus” by Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi (sp?). Really excellent book that gives you all the shortcuts you need to portray emotions effectively through body language and dialogue.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus. Guiding authors at Story Embers.

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 3976

@Emily-D my brain… 😛
            *coughs* What, that’s not what you meant? *grins* In all honesty, I think I must’ve short-changed myself when it comes to tools besides my imagination because now that you asked (and ruled out KP) I can’t think of a single one I depend on regularly. Besides ones I’ve invented and they’re more like theories than tools. So… yeah. My brain.
            I just got Scrivener though and I’ve heard a lot of good things about it, so that may be an up and coming option on the list.

EpicAddie2
            @epicaddie2
              • Total Posts: 794

@emily-d I actually get a lot of ideas just by browsing baby name websites. Just seeing what certain names mean kind of give me ideas for characters. *shrugs* Other than that, I mostly just us KP and my brain.

INFJ ~ 4w5
              aldarley.wordpress.com

Mariposa Aristeo
              @mariposa
                • Total Posts: 335

@emily-d The thesaurus is always a handy tool—Aberdeen uses it all the time. 😉

Tools? Well, as for books, articles, or websites, there isn’t one I’ve found more useful than another. I usually acquire my information from a conglomeration of sources. I did find an article about on-the-nose writing by Jerry B. Jenkins that was very helpful.

Elizabeth
                @that_writer_girl_99
                  • Total Posts: 1819

This may sound kinda obvious, but I think the tool I use most is either my computer or my phone–but I probably use my phone more. The notepad feature is awesome and really easy to use, but there’s also a Microsoft Word app… @emily-d

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Snapper
                  @dragon-snapper
                    • Total Posts: 3515

@emily-d
                    My favorite tool is music. Yep. Music. It is that absolute best thing for writing in the world. So inspiring. I think I like music better than the thesaurus and dictionary. Especially epic music. *nods*

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

EpicAddie2
                    @epicaddie2
                      • Total Posts: 794

@dragon-snapper Ah yes, music is pretty inspiring XD If I want to write but I don’t have any inspiration, I listen to Hurricane from Hamilton. I dunno why, but that always seems to inspire me to write.

INFJ ~ 4w5
                      aldarley.wordpress.com

Kate Flournoy
                      @kate-flournoy
                        • Total Posts: 3976

@Dragon-Snapper *sniffs* Music used to be one of mine too, actually. Until I got a hearing problem that made it so I can’t wear earphones. *weeps pathetically* I’d use it both for inspiration and to drown out the noise around me (our house has an entirely open floorplan so there’s not a whole lot of quiet ;P) but blasting it loud enough without earphones to drown the noise distracts everyone else. 😛
                        What are some of your favorites?

Anonymous
                          • Total Posts: 1330

@emily-d Music is helpful. I enjoy listening to hymns, country music, and Tree of Life. I also use the dictionary and thesaurus thing on my mac like @daeus. It makes life so easy. I sometimes look up names for people in my story online, but not very often. Most of the time a name just comes to me or I ask someone else. The thing I use most is definitely the thesaurus.

Hannah
                          @salome01w4g
                            • Total Posts: 991

@Emily-D Nameberry.com, google drive , Wikipedia I know I’ll think of more stuff later.

~I don’t know what I’m doing~

Louise Fowler
                            @perfectfifths
                              • Total Posts: 726

@emily-d Let’s see. fantasynamegnerators.com is one of my favourite resources. I noticed a few people said their brain, and I agree, but I’m also going to add my friends’ brains. 😛 Nothing helps me more than brainstorming and picking the brain of my alpha-alpha-reader. 😀

Currently reading Les Miserables

SeekJustice
                              @seekjustice
                                • Total Posts: 3365

@Emily-d my two favourite resources are a) my 20 step plot outlines and b) my notebook. I’ve always been a pantser, but I found that didn’t help me finish projects. somewhere, and I really wish I could remember where, I read about the 20 step plot outline, which is essentially twenty steps through your novel 1 being the beginning and 20 being the last scene. I’ve found it super helpful.
                                and my writer’s notebook. I have one for each novel I work on and I write absolutely everything in it: character sketches, plot ideas, random buzzy plot bunnies and research. Its great to keep it all in one place and is definitely a fantastic resource if you don’t have one.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Ethryndal
                                @ethryndal
                                  • Total Posts: 1013

@Emily-D GAH, there are so many. I’ve got to say though, the The Emotions Thesaurus by Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi is one of the greatest things ever. Especially for me, a Thinker who doesn’t process emotions quite as… emotionally… as most normal people.

And Scrivener is great. I just got it, but already love it.

And Audiomachine music. Wow.

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >