What genre do you write in?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions What genre do you write in?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Bella B.
    @ashlyvye
      • Total Posts: 96

I’m just curious what genre everyone writes in, because I know I’ve met people here that all have completely different styles of writing; and some people (me included) just write kinda crazy and need to create their own genre or adopt two at the same time.

I write in Realistic Science Fantasy.  *Ahem*  Yep.  So it’s kinda like this:  The world, climax, etc. looks like a more realistic version of a science fiction version of our world (I don’t include anything about space, aliens, just not my thing).  The people are just like normal people, but maybe slightly more serious because the world is usually really hard to live in.  The fantasy part in it is because I always include magic, but not just like “Oh hey, I can fly!!”  because there’s always a reason they got their powers, where the magic comes from, etc.

So.. Yeah.  What genre’s are some of your guy’s favorites to write in?

*insert awesome signature because I'm a bit too lazy to come up with one*

Joy
      @dekreel
        • Total Posts: 2304

@ashlyvye  Good topic idea!

Let’s see… I don’t know what genre I write in… I have a novella that’s science-fiction/fantasy, but other than that I have a huge mix of other things 😛

You can pronounce it however you want.

Ben Powell
        @supermonkey42
          • Total Posts: 273

@ashlyvye I like basically anything, but I usually write in either sci-fi or fantasy (or some sub genre of speculative fiction.)

If I write fantasy, magic may exist, but it’s not usually the focal point of the story and it doesn’t usually feel too much like magic. Like, in Narnia, magic appears often, but somehow it doesn’t feel like magic; it feels more like that’s just the way their world is. Or, in Brandon Sanderson’s Mistborn trilogy, Allomancy is technically a “magic system” in his fantasy world, but to me it definitely does not feel like magic. It’s a biological ability to burn metal that is inherited by members of the nobility. And no spells. I don’t like spells (sorry Gandalf!)

Oh, and I try to keep sci-fi technologies relatively realistic.

And I also sometimes do realistic fiction, just not as much.

And whatever else I feel like writing. 😉

A Kapeefer for life!
          Compendium of KP Literature: kapeeferliterature.wordpress.com

Bella B.
          @ashlyvye

@dekreel  Yeah, I really like your writing because it’s not really one genre, but it’s just a little bit of everything instead.

@supermonkey42
              Fantasy without magic?  Wow.  That must be really hard.

I don’t really like spells either because to me they just seem to easy.  Like in Harry Potter how they just have to wave their wand a certain way and say an incantation… just too easy.

I love how Brandon Sanderson and C.S. Lewis can make magic seem like ‘just the way things are.’  That’s a good way to explain how I also try to make my magic systems.

Kaya Young
            @kaya-young
              • Total Posts: 272

@ashlyvye  Cool topic! I have like 4 different WIP/ideas that I plan on writing, here are their genres:

My one WIP is kind-of Realistic Science Fantasy like you described, but set in the future!

My second WIP is historical fiction and romance.

I also have a fantasy world that I’m working on.

I love to write nonfiction!

The Kingdom has been torn asunder...
              http://www.encircledbygrace.com/

Snapper
              @dragon-snapper
                • Total Posts: 3515

@ashlyvye Awesome! I love genres. I write science fiction. Right now, my WIP trilogy is a kind of dystopian world + some space but not very extended space – aliens (no aliens) + big government + cool technology.

So yeah. Whatever that is called. 😛

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

SleepwalkingMK
                @sleepwalkingmk
                  • Total Posts: 179

@ashlyvye What a cool topic! I write mostly fantasy, though I’ve begun to dabble in science fiction and realistic fiction. They don’t come as naturally to me though 😛

@supermonkey42
                  I agree. In my worlds, there’s “magic” in the sense that powers may exist, other creatures that I made up exist, and there are different races that I made up. But it’s always the way the world works, like the science of that world.

I’ve always wanted to try dystopian, satire, and historical fiction. Someday… *looks wistfully into the distance* *sighs* So many things to write, so little time.

Read to explore worlds, write to create them.

Elizabeth
                  @that_writer_girl_99
                    • Total Posts: 1819

Ooh, I love this idea!

I write in science-fiction, dystopian, and fantasy. Sometimes all at once. 😉

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Bella B.
                    @ashlyvye

@sleepwalkingMK  @that_writer_girl_99

I’ve heard of the genre dystopian but what does that actually mean?

Elizabeth
                      @that_writer_girl_99
                        • Total Posts: 1819

adjective

relating to or denoting an imagined place or state in which everything is unpleasant or bad, typically a totalitarian or environmentally degraded one.

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

SleepwalkingMK
                        @sleepwalkingmk
                          • Total Posts: 179

@ashlyvye It’s the opposite of a utopia, basically. Utopia is the perfect world, dystopia is the awful world. I have not read much dystopia, though, so I’m not very familiar with how it usually plays out in fiction.

Read to explore worlds, write to create them.

SeekJustice
                          @seekjustice
                            • Total Posts: 3365

@ashlyvye

Cool topic 🙂 I write a bunch of different things: historical fiction, historical fantasy (which is kind of like the contemprary fantasies that have become popular lately, think Percy Jackson, with magic in the real world, but historical). I also like dystopian and writing retellings of fairy tales and classics. I’ve dabbled in sci-fi and superhero but it didn’t agree with me. I’ve also tried realistic missionary stories but that wasn’t great success either.

I’ve been planning an epic fantasy for some years now, but I haven’t started it yet.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
                            @rochellaine
                              • Total Posts: 3322

@ashlyvye @supermonkey42 Fantasy without magic isn’t too unusual, actually.  The original fantasy work, Pilgrim’s Progress doesn’t use magic; Chuck Black, who is one of the most well known new Christian fantasy authors, doesn’t use magic at all in any of his books; Frank Peretti didn’t use it in the Cooper Kids series; Gilbert Morris didn’t use it in any but the last book of his Seven Sleepers series… 😀  So it’s certainly possible!

As for what genres I write: My full books are all contemporary realistic or semi-realistic fiction, some with a little his-fic thrown in, (Time travel, or ancestor’s diary kind of thing 🙂 ) and my short stories are almost exclusively historical fiction.  The novel I am working on right now is a contemporary realistic western, so that’s another genre I’m trying out which fits into the genres I usually write, but is a little different.

It is a well-known fact around here that I don’t write fantasy, and it is believed that I avoid it with diligence, but that is not completely true. 🙂  The first, ten-page “books” I wrote as a ten-year-old included invisible walls, giants, and flying saucers (actually saucer, not alien space ship.  This was a plate that they rode on for some reason. 😀 )  So I have actually written fantasy in the past, though not with magic.  Don’t faint, anybody!

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Skredder
                              @skredder
                                • Total Posts: 527

@ashlyvye Um, let me see. Currently I’ve got going realistic fantasy, historical fiction, and science fiction. In the past I have written contemporary fiction and dystopian fanfiction.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Skredder.

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

Sam Kowal
                                @sam-kowal
                                  • Total Posts: 635

@rochellaine *faints*

Hmm, that’s interesting about Pilgrim’s Progress. Is something like Beowulf considered pre-fantay if it came hundreds of years before Pilgrim’s Progress?

@ashlyvye
                                  I write fantasy, primarily, but currently I’m working on something which is more like sci-fi/ dystopian. Realistic science fantasy sounds really cool :D. The Reckoners is like that in some ways, although it’s more superhero.

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
                                  Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >