What do I write?

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Non-Fiction What do I write?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Kaya Young
    @kaya-young
      • Total Posts: 272

I need to write a short testimony, but here’s the thing: I have no clue what to write!

Most things say to write out your life before Christ, how you came to Christ, and your life after Christ. This is kinda a problem because (praise the Lord) I have always known Jesus. So how do I write a testimony?

I need to write it ASAP so any help, insights, or suggestions are much appreciated!

@jenwriter17
        @rochellaine   @notawriter   @ingridrd    @daughteroftheking    @gh24682468999    @anyone

The Kingdom has been torn asunder...
      http://www.encircledbygrace.com/

The fledgling Artist
      @notawriter
        • Total Posts: 328

@kaya-young I grew up in a christian home with very christian parents and I don’t think I could look back to a time in my life from before I knew about God and his love for us. To me a testimony is like telling people your story.. And so my advice is to just be honest? If you can’t tell people about when you first met Jesus you can talk about what he means to you now, and what things he has been teaching you. Or maybe you can point to a season in your life that you matured in your relationship with him?
        I know for me I didn’t get serious about persueing a closeness with God till I was around 15-16

I know I didn’t word this very well so if you have any questions about what I was talking about please tag away! 😉

and I was so confused

Jenna Terese
        @jenwriter17
          • Total Posts: 2522

@kaya-young I know what you mean; I’ve grown up in a Christian household so I’ve always known Jesus too. There was one evening when I was 8 that I, I guess “officially” gave my life to Christ. I felt a difference inside of me then even though I’d already known Him.

Did you have a moment where you gave your life to Christ, even though you were already following Him? If you did, then you could write about that. But if not, you could maybe write about how God has worked in your life and changed you and shaped you as a Christian.

Is this a writing assignment or something?

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
          www.jennaterese.com

Kaya Young
          @kaya-young

@notawriter  Thank you for taking the time to answer! That was super helpful. Like you, I’ve grown up in a Christian home so it’s hard to follow the typical steps for writing out a testimony. I had no idea what to write, but what he means to me now sounds like a great place to start! Thanks again! 🙂

Kaya Young
            @kaya-young

@jenwriter17  Thanks! I like your way of wording that “how He has shaped you as a Christian”. I will use that. I don’t really have one specific moment when I gave my life to Him, it just has happened over time.

This is actually for a mission trip application! 🙂

Jenna Terese
              @jenwriter17

@kaya-young oh cool! a mission trip to where?

www.jennaterese.com

Kaya Young
                @kaya-young

@jenwriter17  Ireland! I’m super excited. 🙂 🙂

Jenna Terese
                  @jenwriter17

@kaya-young IRELAND! I’ve always wanted to go there! a lady who used to teach my horseback riding lessons has gone there twice I think. She said it was really pretty there and she saw some castles too 🙂

www.jennaterese.com

Rochellaine
                    @rochellaine
                      • Total Posts: 3322

@kaya-young I also grew up in a Christian home, but I am wondering about your wording a little bit. 🙂  I would say I’ve always believed in Christ, rather than always known Him.  Because just knowing about him and believing it’s true isn’t enough to get to heaven.  The Bible says that even the demons believe.  We can’t inherit Christ from our parents.

So what I would say would be if you don’t have a specific point that you know you came to Christ, write about how you know you are going to heaven, and what you believe serving Christ means.  I’ve heard testimonies of that nature.

My dad was raised a Muslim, and he also doesn’t have a specific point that he came to Christ because he gradually understood and accepted different truths over time.  He tells his testimony explaining that, but also explaining what the truths are that he had to accept.  The meaning of “testimony” is that you are “testifying” the power of God, so it doesn’t have to be all about you, but about Who you believe God is.  (Though it should explain how you actually put your beliefs to practice.)

(I kind of feel like I was rambling here, since I had to write this very fast before I go, so if it doesn’t make sense, I’m sorry!)

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Kaya Young
                      @kaya-young

@rochellaine  Oh, I do see where my wording was confusing. I guess I mean I’ve always had a personal relationship with Him and I don’t remember a time before I’ve known Him and believed in Him. Instead of knowing of Him, I mean I know Him personally as my King and Savior.

Thanks for taking the time to answer! 🙂

Rochellaine
                        @rochellaine
                          • Total Posts: 3322

@kaya-young 😀  I did think that was what you probably meant, so that’s why after clarifying I put the other stuff in about writing “how” you know instead of “when” you knew. 🙂  I do believe that the “when” isn’t all that important, but people usually emphasize it because it often corresponds with the “how,” right?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Kaya Young
                          @kaya-young

@rochellaine  Yup!

NC Stokes
                            @daughteroftheking
                              • Total Posts: 1156

@kaya-young I was raised in a Christian home, and I always knew God existed, but I can point to one moment when my relationship with Him became personal, and I trusted in Him for salvation. Now, if I were to write my testimony out in full, I would focus more on what God did after He saved me, because the story didn’t stop there. Like @rochellaine said, a testimony is about testifying the power of God, and I have so many times when my relationship with Him deepened, not through me, but through Him.

Hope that helps! And Ireland is REALLY COOL.

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Ariel Ashira
                              @ariel-ashira
                                • Total Posts: 739

@kaya-young

@rochellaine
                                is right on!  I totally agree with what she said.

I was raised in in a Christian family, so I always believed God was real and that the Bible was his word.  But then when I was in my early teens I began to really search for a couple of years to be sure I was his and that I would go to heaven.  It turns out I wasn’t.  It took a while before I recently have become a true Christian, not only someone who believes God exists.  I am glad I can finally say I am His!

It sounds like you already got some great advice, and I am not sure what I would say to make things any easier.  Id probably just muddy the waters.  🙂

I hope you get to go to Ireland.  Sounds really neat, although I cant say because I have never been there.

"In a mask, was he?"

Ariel Ashira
                                @ariel-ashira
                                  • Total Posts: 739

By the way, your purple giraffe’s are so cute. 😉

@kaya-young

"In a mask, was he?"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >