What Book Are We Going To Read?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions What Book Are We Going To Read?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    Daeus
    @daeus
      • Total Posts: 4238

So this is where we can all vote on what we want to be the first book we’ll read for our KeePers Author Book Club. You may proceeded to make suggestions, but first, let me just lay down a couple things to consider.

1. Short is preferable. That way more people will be able to participate. Don’t feel like it has to be short thought, that’s just better.
      2. Free is preferable. If your library has several copies, other libraries will probably have at least one. Older books may be better since a lot of them will be free as ebooks and/or audiobooks via librivox. Sometimes modern authors will have a free book available for download to boost their audience. That might be a good opportunity.
      3. It doesn’t have to be a book you’ve read before. This could be your opportunity.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Christine Eaton
      @christi-eaton
        • Total Posts: 306

I have a couple of books I absolutely love (and no one has really heard of them) One is the Fiddler’s Gun by A.S. Peterson. The writing style is magnificent, it’s almost like poetry and the imagery along with is is fantastic, it is perfect for anyone who loves a good, historical high seas adventure. Allow me to give you a taste of its beauty.

“She stretched out her arms and began to play. Sound eddied out of the fiddle on a wave of notes as long and as deep as grief itself. She poured all of her broken pieces into the song and offered them up, struggling to weave notes enough to mend a heart so finely shattered. The song lifted her, lightened her, each note siphoned out bitterness and in its place left something as pure and sweet as rainwater. Her song rose and spiraled and sailed as a cool wind blew off the river and carried leaves, whirling, into the air like dervishes, wrapping her in a tree-fallen lament.”
        Pg. 100

That right there is the kind of writer I want to be. The main problem is accessibility as it is available for purchase on an e-reader and there aren’t that many hard copies and it isn’t available in most libraries. But one thing is for sure, that book is a treasure and it will leave you yearning to be able to craft such a book.

I’m looking around my bedroom right now looking at my favorite books but many are rare and hard to find (such as my Lamplighter books if anyone here has heard of those) and many belong in a series where you can’t find copies at the library.
        We could do the Great Gatsby (but you might have already read my thoughts on that one 😉
        Anyway enough blabbering from me. Anyone else have a book they want to suggest @daeus I presume your book would be The Count of Monte Cristo.

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Greta
        @gretald
          • Total Posts: 450

Hmm…I could mention so many good books to read. @Daeus are you going for well-written or great stories or both? Or does it matter?

Mallory O’Bier
          @overcomer
            • Total Posts: 550

What sort of age range are we thinking, @daeus ? Because I can think of lots of very different books. It might help to narrow them down a bit.

Faith Kindred
            @faithdk
              • Total Posts: 139

Okay, so a couple books I’ll suggest:

The Wanderer by Sharon Creech. It’s about a girl, Sophie, who sails across the Atlantic, to England to visit her grandfather, with her three uncles and two cousins. Through the trip, she uncovers bits of her past. The story and their experiences are told through her and her cousin Cody’s travel logs.
              “Sophie’s struggle to reclaim who she is inspires similar exploration from those around her -as the crew discovers the joys and trails of belonging to a family.”

Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett is one of my favorites. It’s a great mystery, starting off where three letters are delivered to three persons in the same neighborhood without being signed or having a return address. The writer requests help from these three persons in uncovering a centuries old crime that wronged ‘one of the world’s greatest painters’.
              I love this book. And it really makes you think a lot…about a lot of different things.
              Anyway, I don’t really know how easily accessible they are, but I do know my library has both of them, so I don’t think they would be too hard for one to get.

And yeah, the age range @Daeus? I am curious about that too. The books I’ve mentioned here are young fiction, I think. Like, Sophie (from the Wanderer) is 13 years old, and Chasing Vermeer’s main characters are two 5th graders. I mean, the characters are young, but the books aren’t that ‘kiddish’ really. At least, not in my opinion, but…

Greta
              @gretald
                • Total Posts: 450

Oh, oh! I have one: To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I don’t know how many of you all have read it, but it’s a truly amazing work of literature, and it really makes you think about important issues. It should be easy to get from the library, I think…I don’t know about online, though.

Daeus
                @daeus

@gretald @faithdk @overcomer Really all that matters is that you think it would be a good book to learn from.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Faith Kindred
                  @faithdk
                    • Total Posts: 139

Okay, so between the books I talked about, Chasing Vermeer would probably be the one you would really learn from. 😛 It’s more the type of book that makes you think. It talks a lot about coincidences and how things are connected…a good ‘thought-book’.
                    I just wanted to mention that 😛 …Anywayyyyy… carry on with the suggestions folks. 🙂

Daeus
                    @daeus

That sounds like a good one Faith. I love thought provoking books. The book doesn’t have to be deep though. The important thing is that it be good for analyzing from a writer’s perspective.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hope Ann
                      @hope
                        • Total Posts: 1092

To Kill a Mockingbird would be good…I want to read it, but I haven’t yet. 😉 I’d suggest Lord of the Rings, but it’s not exactly short. 😉

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Sarah Hoven
                        @sarah-h
                          • Total Posts: 669

The only book I can think of right now is The Count of Monte Cristo. I haven’t read it yet, but I really really want to.

Daeus
                          @daeus

@sarah-h The Count Of Monte Cristo would be fantastic. Just one rather big problem. It would take us … (oh, let me see), it would take us at least a year I’m sure.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Anna Brie
                            @anna-brie
                              • Total Posts: 312

If long books were allowed, I’d suggest Ben Hur. I don’t think I’ve actually read through the whole book myself, but I know it’s good.

If we wanted to do a Christian fantasy book, By Divine Right by Patrick Carr is short and permanently free.

Daeus
                              @daeus

Ben-Hur is awesome. The other book looks good too.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                                @kate-flournoy
                                  • Total Posts: 3976
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >