Well, Hello, People!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Well, Hello, People!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    The fledgling Artist
    @notawriter
      • Total Posts: 328

@annaberens Interesting! How long have you been writing for?

and I was so confused

AnnaBerens
      @annaberens
        • Total Posts: 16

@notawriter I started when I was 13, so…almost six years, I guess.

The fledgling Artist
        @notawriter
          • Total Posts: 328

@annaberens Wow that’s so long! *Dumps  rainbow confetti on your head* 😀

and I was so confused

AnnaBerens
          @annaberens

@notawriter ooh I love rainbow confetti! 🙂

SeekJustice
            @seekjustice
              • Total Posts: 3365

@annaberens

You write retellings!! Me too, I’m obsessed with them and your ideas sound really cool! I’ve never heard of the Firebird ballet, but it sounds intriguing. 🙂

Who are some authors you enjoy reading?

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Sam Kowal
              @sam-kowal
                • Total Posts: 635

@annaberens Welcome to the bestistest place on the internet 😀 Your WIPs sound really interesting, especially the idea of the magical higher and lower races. How do you keep all those projects organized in your head??

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
                Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

AnnaBerens
                @annaberens

@seekjustice Thanks! It is pretty interesting, although less interesting than my retelling (imo). I took a lot of liberties.

Jane Austen, Shannon Hale, Sarah J. Maas, Janette Oke, Louisa May Alcott, to name a few. What about you?

AnnaBerens
                  @annaberens

@sam-kowal I honestly have no idea. XD Especially since I have many, many more ideas in my head that I haven’t written at all yet

PrincessFoo
                    @princessfoo
                      • Total Posts: 194

@annaberens Sorry for the late-ish reply. I went to a prom last night (which coincidentally was Beauty and the Beast themed!) and woke up this morning feelings like I had a fever, even though my temperature is fine. I’ve been in bed all day.

My first story is about a girl named Mary-Ellen who wakes up in a castle with no idea who she is or where she came from. Also, she is invisible. Also, everyone else is invisible, expect for the prince, who is instead incredibly hideous. Everyone else knows each other as servants of the castle, but no one knows who Mary-Ellen is. Mary-Ellen ends up making friends with the prince and other servants, and spends most of her time in the castle library, trying to find a way to break the curse. She use to be a magician, but in this world, the cost of magic is physical beauty, and Mary-Ellen is now invisible. (So when you cast a spell, you get uglier. That is why old wise witches are always ugly hags, and beautiful young enchantresses are evil, because they have stolen other’s beauty to power their spells. Since Mary-Ellen is invisible, she has nothing to power a spell with.) Everyone, including the servants, are very upset about the curse, because it keeps them away from their families that weren’t at the castle when the spell was cast, and binds to the castle.
                      Mary-Ellen’s memory comes back in bits and pieces. She remembers that she lived in a small village near the edge of the kingdom, with her mother, father, and two brothers. They had all loved each other very much. Then Mary-Ellen remembers that they are all dead. The nearby kingdom raided their village, and burned it. Mary-Ellen was one of the few survivors of the whole town. The prince had promised to protect the village, and Mary-Ellen had gone to the castle to curse him in revenge. Mary-Ellen had never been a powerful magician, and the prince had, like, a GAZILLION protection spells on him, since he is the prince, so Mary-Ellen had inadvertently drawn from the appearances of everyone nearby to power the spell she was trying to cast, which turned them invisible, and had started drawing on the prince’s own physical appearance when she finally collapsed, and the spell she had been trying to cast kinda just hung there, and has stayed in limbo this whole time. So, basically, this whole thing is Mary-Ellen’s fault. That’s about as far as I have gotten.

This next one is a very loose retelling of Beauty and the Beast. There is a girl who goes by the name of Beauty, (even though she is very plain), and she travels around in a caravan, all over the world. She has a HUGE dog. Everyone calls the dog Beast, she calls him Tom, because that is his name. (I actually have a pet peeve about how in a lot of stories the Beast is only ever known as “Beast”. Like he isn’t even a person anymore, the only thing that matters is that he is a monster. That might be fine at first, but as his character develops and stuff I think he should have a name other than “Beast”. Being a “beast” should not be the thing that defines him. Anyways) Every night, Tom turns into a man and asks Beauty to marry him. She says no, and he laughs and says something like “Good, I didn’t want to marry you.” Tom is actually quite happy being a dog and traveling the country with Beauty, it is only the curse that compels him to ask someone every night. He and Beauty have come to the arrangement that he will ask her, she will say no, and everyone goes on their merry way. Beauty and Tom have been traveling together with the caravan for some time now, and they both know that if the situation ever came up, and Tom needed to go back to his normal life as a human prince RIGHT NOW, then she would say yes, and the curse would be broken. But for now they are happy with the way things are. Also, Beauty can control air elementals (that is where the invisible servants come in.)

So, yep! That was pretty long. What do you think?

PrincessFoo
                      @princessfoo

@annaberens I have heard of the Firebird! Actually, I have read a Beauty and the Beast retelling that included the Firebird! It’s crazy how I keep running into things that are related to Beauty and the Beast.

AnnaBerens
                        @annaberens

@princessfoo Those ideas sound amazing! I especially love the idea of how magic works in that first one! I don’t usually have a cost for my magic…but I should. After all, as the Dark One says, “All magic comes at a price!”

I feel the same way about names for the Beast! In my first retelling, I named him Tasmarin Jennings and called him Arin for short. XD

PrincessFoo
                          @princessfoo

@annaberens Thank you! I like your Beast’s name. In my mind, the Beast’s name is Ralph until I think of a specific name for him, like Tom.

Cool magic systems are one of my favoritest things. I actually wrote an article about it here, so you can tell I am pretty into this sort of stuff.

NC Stokes
                            @daughteroftheking
                              • Total Posts: 1156

@annaberens *sweeps into room* Many welcomes!!! All your WIPs sound really cool, especially the Beauty and the Beast retelling. I love the names you came up with!!!! They definitely sound like books I would pick up at the library because I’m intrigued by the title. Do you have a favorite kind of music?

@princessfoo
                              *hits repeat on Evermore* *dabs eyes with a handkerchief* I’m too heartless to cry. Really. *sniffles*

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

AnnaBerens
                              @annaberens

@princessfoo That’s great that you have a temporary name until you can come up with a more permanent one! What made you choose Ralph, as opposed to any other male name?

@daughteroftheking
                                Thank you! The B&tB retelling is my favorite one at the moment. I don’t have a particular favorite kind of music, but I like classical, Lindsey Stirling and similar music, Josh Groban and similar music, and country. And I’m sure there are other kinds that I can’t think of. Also, Evermore is a fantaaastic song!

PrincessFoo
                                @princessfoo

@annaberens I don’t know. I guess I thought it fit him.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >