Weird Things People Tell Me 'Cause I'm a Writer

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Weird Things People Tell Me 'Cause I'm a Writer

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    LivGiordano
    @livgiordano
      • Total Posts: 86

I have an awkward conversation whenever someone asks me “so, what’s your book about?” I’m like….uhh. I used to start out by saying “it’s fantasy”. Until my mom said that for her generation it meant a totally different (not so great) thing. O_O Whoops. So now I can say it’s fiction. *laughs* I guess I’m getting a *little* better at saying what it’s about. I really need to memorize a sentence that gives the basic idea of it, but it’s so hard…

I also forget that other people don’t know writing lingo, such as WIP, character arc, MC, etc… But I try to intentionally not avoid those words, so that people won’t be totally confused.

It’s also pretty funny, because my brother knows my plot inside and out. We’re constantly talking about it, but then we always have to stop suddenly when my mom enters the room. Because she’s an alpha for the book, and doesn’t want any spoilers.

Oh, and my sister read one of my brainstorming cards, in which I put “BF” for “boyfriend”. She interpreted it as “best freak”. bursts out laughing. Let’s just say that was pretty funny.

www.livforhim.wordpress.com

Jenna Terese
      @jenwriter17
        • Total Posts: 2522

@seekjustice ooh, I like Percherons too

@livgiordano
        Lol, I totally got a picture of you and your brother dead silent staring off into space as your mom walks in!

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
        www.jennaterese.com

SeekJustice
        @seekjustice
          • Total Posts: 3365

@livgiordano

I sometimes read my books aloud to my siblings, but whenever my mum or dad walks in, I stop and awkwardly try to make conversation about something totally random until they go away. I don’t mind my mum reading my stuff, I just hate it when she hears me reading it aloud. Whereas all my small brothers and sister think I can do no wrong in the realm of writing!

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Snapper
          @dragon-snapper
            • Total Posts: 3515

I sometimes read my books aloud to my siblings, but whenever my mum or dad walks in, I stop and awkwardly try to make conversation about something totally random until they go away. I don’t mind my mum reading my stuff, I just hate it when she hears me reading it aloud. Whereas all my small brothers and sister think I can do no wrong in the realm of writing!

@Seekjustice
            XD

I don’t know. Sometimes I don’t want people to hear me reading out loud either. Like reading my essays to myself. *facepalm*

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Snapper
            @dragon-snapper
              • Total Posts: 3515

Person: How was drawing today?

Me: Good. Ike actually let me draw him today. I had so many conversations with him, trying to convince him to let me draw him–because he never does–and finally, I got ONE picture of him. Out of the twenty I’ve done. That boy…

Person: The men in white coats will be here shortly.

This actually happened, although they were of course, joking.

Or were they? ….

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

LivGiordano
              @livgiordano
                • Total Posts: 86

@jenwriter17 yup. That’s exactly what happens. It’s  pretty funny. Or we talk in whispers.

@seekjustice
                Yeah, I don’t like reading any of my stuff aloud, but I  could totally imagine that happening. Yes, siblings are pretty good with that. 🙂

www.livforhim.wordpress.com

Jessi Rae
                @jessi-rae
                  • Total Posts: 250

I wish I had more people tell me weird things ’cause I’m a writer! ‘Cause then I’d write those things into stories about a writer. XD

Maybe the weirdest thing, though, was when I was talking with my former best friend about his character killing one of my characters in a roleplay we were doing, and someone sitting beside him thought he was actually talking about killing me for real. So then the two of them joked about how to kill me without leaving evidence… Yeah, not unsettling at all… *nervous grin*

Jenna Terese
                  @jenwriter17

@jessi-rae Lol, sometimes I wonder what unfortunate strangers hearing my writer conversations think!

Love your profile pic! Is that your dog?

www.jennaterese.com

Joy
                    @dekreel
                      • Total Posts: 2304

@jessi-rae  I saw the word “roleplay,” and that raised a random question: Do you play The Aetherlight…?

You can pronounce it however you want.

Jessi Rae
                      @jessi-rae

@jenwriter17 Yes! I wonder that same thing. XD And yes, my profile picture is of my dog. His name’s Henry, and he’s a five-year-old German shepherd who acts like a big baby! 😍

@dekreel
                        I played the part of the game that was free. 🙂 But the roleplay I mentioned was over Google Hangouts.

Joy
                        @dekreel

@jessi-rae  Ah, cool 🙂 Are you on the forums?

Jessi Rae
                          @jessi-rae

@dekreel Not really. I mean, I’ve been planning to look into them after hearing people here on KP talk about them, but I don’t think I was aware of the forums’ existence before I heard them mentioned. *sheepish grin* I’ll hopefully look them up fairly soon.

Joy
                            @dekreel

@jessi-rae  That’s okay!

I’m not on the forums, but Aislinn and Iliara and a few others are. they should be quite easy to spot 🙂

Jenna Terese
                              @jenwriter17

@jessi-rae Aw, he’s adorable!

www.jennaterese.com

Jessi Rae
                                @jessi-rae

@dekreel Thanks for the tip! 🙂

@jenwriter17
                                  *grins* Isn’t he, though? I like to call him My Preciousss… XD

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >