Weird Things People Tell Me 'Cause I'm a Writer

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Weird Things People Tell Me 'Cause I'm a Writer

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Snapper
    @dragon-snapper
      • Total Posts: 3515

@kate-flournoy And now it’s working. Weird. But I’ll still take that chocolate.

Oh yeah. I would love it if someone said something — not “What’s your book about?” — to “Here’s my email so you can send me the book.” XD But of course…I’d rather not give my email to random strangers.

No thanks.

Yeah. Definitely need more practice. “Hi, mirror. We’re going to practice pitching today. My novel is about a… uh… boy named Ike. He’s cool. Oh, but sometimes he’s mean. Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that his dad–no wait, that’s not important. And then there’s this girl…”

Oh bother.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

Random social stranger at a random social function: “Oh, you write books? Cool! What’s your book about?”

Me, randomly trying to function socially: *stilted grin and shivering, nervous laugh* “Here, let me… let me…” *digs out notebook with a triumphant flourish* “I wrote it down!”

XD

@Dragon-snapper

Snapper
        @dragon-snapper
          • Total Posts: 3515

*gives person business card* “Here. This way I can send you a prompt, civilized introduction to my novel.”

@kate-flournoy

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Jenna Terese
          @jenwriter17
            • Total Posts: 2522

@rochellaine OH, SPANISH MOSS!!! Yes, that is gorgeously mysterious!

@princessfoo
            Heheh, that’s funny. I can totally imagine that happening to me.

@mariposa
            Yeah I think I’ve gotten the “How you gonna pay the bills?” question at least once.

Funny the mistakes we make in writing…..Thank goodness for editing………i guess. 🤔

@notawriter
            hehe, story snobs?

@kate-flournoy
            That’s hilarious! We writers are our own special kind of people.

@dragon-snapper
            That happens to me so. many. times.

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
            www.jennaterese.com

SeekJustice
            @seekjustice
              • Total Posts: 3365

@jenwriter17

Once upon a time, I was on duty with St John Ambulance (basically sitting around waiting for someone to fall off a horse and break an arm), and while I was on duty, I was finishing up my Stars Fill Infinity outline and character charts (I believe I was writing the chart for Sean Darcy). The guy on duty with me asked if I was working on schoolwork, and I replied that I was just doing it for fun. He said “Oh well, you’re boring!” And I just grinned awkwardly and wondered what he’d think if he ever read it. Like, I’m systematically murdering twelve out of seventeen characters and….yeah…it’s best if I don’t say that.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Louise Fowler
              @perfectfifths
                • Total Posts: 726

@seekjustice

(basically sitting around waiting for someone to fall off a horse and break an arm)

*blinks*

Um… That happened to me. XD

Currently reading Les Miserables

SeekJustice
                @seekjustice

@perfectfifths

You fell off a horse and broke your arm?

I am sincerely sorry for you. I once fell off a horse and sprained my ankle, that was Christmas day 2016 and it still hasn’t healed.

Were you team sorting? That was the event I waas watching.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Louise Fowler
                  @perfectfifths
                    • Total Posts: 726

@seek justice Well, more correctly a horse bolted on me and threw me, and I broke my wrist but basically, yeah.

Yikes.

Uh, no. I was having a lesson. It was quite unexpected – the horse I was on was about 14 and usually very placid.

Currently reading Les Miserables

Sink
                    @sarah-anson
                      • Total Posts: 117

@jenwriter17

I think some of the funniest things that have ever been said to me was when I picked a book of herbs(medicine and poison research) from the library and came home, only for my mom to go;

“Sarah, what are you doing with a book of poisons?”

Me: “….research?”

Also, I like to weird people out by talking about writing in public, so I was with some good friends one time(both of who write) and I was telling them about this very satisfying death scene I wrote.

I got several strange looks from people walking by.

Not to mention, when one of my friends later on read the scene, she was mad I killed someone that she didn’t even know. It was ridiculous, because I was playing for sympathy on the other character the whole time, and she hates him, but loves the one I killed! And she knows nothing about him! *sighs* At least someone will find his death emotional.

And I’ll probably be getting an angry fan letter from her. (If I got fan letters, lol)

Sarah

INTJ. Dragon. Artist. Dreamer. Writer.

*vader vibes*

Jenna Terese
                      @jenwriter17

@seekjustice Lol, yeah might not want to yell out how most of the characters end up at the end of the book! That guy will find out for himself one day…..

I didn’t know you ride horses! (or did i?) Do you have a favorite breed?

@seekjustice
                        @perfectfifths Yup, fallen off a horse twice and almost two other times. No broken bones though……….yet. Sorry to hear about your broken wrist PerfectFifths.

@sarah-anson
                        Lol, the things we do for research! I can definitely imagine getting weird looks from strangers when I talk to my brother about how to easily kill someone, if you’re a girl and don’t have the strength of a man. Yikes, that sounded bad when I typed it, lol.

www.jennaterese.com

Ingrid
                        @ingridrd
                          • Total Posts: 830

@everyone  Wow, what fun!  This is a great idea.

I don’t have a lot of funny stories, but…all those times that my mom shuts my laptop down for me and I have a mini heart-attack, hoping that all the tabs about unique baby boy names, synonyms for the word ‘pungent’ and villain pictures on Pinterest are not still open…

Oh and also when I’m writing and my siblings sneak up behind me and ask, “are you writing your book?” and I’m like, “no, I am DEFINITELY doing my Latin homework that’s due tonight…”

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Sam Kowal
                          @sam-kowal
                            • Total Posts: 635

@jenwriter17 XD Nice topic. It’s rather fitting for writers, since… ahem… people often tell writers strange things.

XD @kate-flournoy @dragon-snapper I know what you mean. Trying to tell people is like… hard.

The solution I came up with is to have a really simplified and parody-like synopsis all ready, which really isn’t very accurate but people will get it.

So, for example, pitching Lord of the Rings:

‘My book? Oh, it’s about a few super short dudes who really hate jewelry…and love long walks, so they walk to a volcano to melt a really cool piece of jewelry that this super scary fiery guy wants and then oh by the way on their way they help one of their friends become the king of this huge city. :D. The end.’

@jenwriter17
                            XD The other day I was talking to this guy about writing. But I kept forgetting to explain all the writer-ly words that we use. So he was kind of listening and nodding with a sort of pained smile, being polite, and then when I walked away I was just like… ‘maybe I could have handled that better.’

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
                            Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

Daeus
                            @daeus
                              • Total Posts: 4238

@sam-kowal That synopsis is great. 😀  Where can I read this book? 😛

I’ve taken to just sharing my story premise.

“Oh, my book? It’s about these guys who are trying to steal this thing from the dark lord before he figures out it has the power to release him from his captivity.”

Never mind that description lacks any life whatsoever. They don’t really care.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Jenna Terese
                              @jenwriter17

@ingridrd Oh my goodness this happens to me a lot too! I’m afraid I”ll have to explain when they see ‘ways to poison someone’ in my search history or something.

@sam-kowal
                                I’ve done that a couple times before deciding to just use normal words everyone understands to explain writing things. That’s hard though, I have to use a lot more words.

www.jennaterese.com

SeekJustice
                                @seekjustice

@jenwriter17

Haha yes. 😀

Saying I ride is probably a stretch. I used to ride a lot and my family own two standardbreds and two shetlands. My horse often has hoof problems, and our other horse  is not trained, so I only ride when I visit a friend with a horse.

My favourite breeds…I like standardbreds, Percherons, Dartmoors, and Aussie Walers.

@perfectfifths
                                  Aw, that’s no good! Sometimes horses do weird things! I’ve fallen  off many times, but the only time it was bad was when I fell off an ex-racehorse who had decided that she HAD to be the fastest.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >