Weird novel idea

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Idea Critiques Weird novel idea

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    EpicAddie2
    @epicaddie2
      • Total Posts: 794

@daeus I am trying to write a vengeance plot, but I’m stuck now. I think I’m going to try writing a bunch of different plots with different trees and see which one is best.

@seekjustice
      I really like the Hiroshima Bonsai tree idea. I think I’ll try that one next once I research it xD

INFJ ~ 4w5
      aldarley.wordpress.com

EpicAddie2
      @epicaddie2

@seekjustice I was just researching famous trees from history and I found one that seemed like it would have a really cool story to tell. The tree is called Major Oak, and it is in Sherwood Forest. According to legend, it served as the hideout for Robin Hood and his Merry Men!
        Now I want to do the Hiroshima Bonsai Tree and the Major Oak!

Which one sounds like it would tell a more interesting story?

INFJ ~ 4w5
        aldarley.wordpress.com

Mark Kamibaya
        @mark-kamibaya
          • Total Posts: 318

@epicaddie2 I think you should do a novel. Partly because everyone says it won’t work. I mean, Book Thief pulled off a book narrated by Death. Anyways, now that you gave me a great idea :D. I’ll brainstorm a little in this post so you can steal my ideas.

Brainstorming Session
          -The biggest advantage is that trees are older than most people. 100s of years old.
          -Biggest disadvantage is that trees can’t move around that well. 😀
          -Would be cool to stick the tree in the middle of a town and be super prized possession. Then you can narrate the town’s life
          -Or maybe a city like the white tree in Gondor in LOTR
          -Or like a tree that two lovers met at and they come back to it throughout the years. Might write this one actually.
          -I’m limiting myself to only a single tree. Why?
          -Maybe I think I should use the POV of a tree as an advantage rather than the hindrance it may be if I switch POVs
          -Really want to stay in the tree’s head (or branches? leaves? I guess it’s the trunk. Where does a tree think?)
          -Don’t want to characterize a tree by how they look. Sounds stereotypical. And racist (tree-ist?). Reminds me of Alice in Wonderland
          -I like writing about individuals, but a tree sees life longer. So it’d be hard. A tree’s advantage is to see how society develops.
          -Maybe a generational thing. Like how a family’s relationship to each other. Then I could plant the tree right outside their house.
          -The most important thing is to give the POV tree one great personality. Like a Bostonian stuck in the South or something.

That’s my brainstorming session! Did it help any?

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

SeekJustice
          @seekjustice
            • Total Posts: 3365

@epicaddie2, Major Oak sounds pretty cool too! I’ve never heard of it before, but you could definitely do a Robin Hood themed story about it! Maybe we could both write a story about the bonsai and then come back and compare notes. 😀

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Joy
            @joy
              • Total Posts: 59

Hi! I’ve been playing around with an idea for a story for the past few months; it sounds weird but here goes.

It’s about these four races who all live in the same country: Gold, Red, Black, and Umber. They’re named that way for the colour of their hair. The Gold are the best pilots and excellent strategists; the Red have the most powerful weaponry; the Black are gifted healers; and the Umber can take the shape of any human they choose. The Gold and the Red are jealous of the Black and Umber’s powers and for the past five years they’ve been at war. Caught up in the middle of this war are the Dispossessed, people who intermarried (Red marrying Black, Gold marrying Umber, etc.). They’re being hunted both because of who they are and because some of them possess magical gifts too. My story is about several different types of people who are trying to survive in the war.

I have no idea where to start, what to call any of the places in my story, or even what genre it falls into. I kind of based it off a strange mix of WWII-era and fantasy. Please help!

*whispers aggressively* "The HONOUR!"

EpicAddie2
              @epicaddie2

@mark-kamibaya Those ideas are pretty cool. The white tree in Gondor would have a cool story to tell!
                That’s a good question about where a tree actually thinks. I was thinking maybe somewhere in its trunk… I dunno. I’ll have to think about that.

@seekjustice
                I could always do both trees. It would be cool to compare notes! We should definitely do that!

@joy
                That’s a super cool idea! It sounds more like a fantasy story.
                Do you want place names to be actual words or do you want to make the names up? If you want to make them up, I guess I would say just start making up words in your head until you find the right words. That’s what I’ve done before xD

INFJ ~ 4w5
                aldarley.wordpress.com

Joy
                @joy
                  • Total Posts: 59

I’ve done both before too! I might make them up as I go along 🙂 I’m still not too sure about the genre, though. I want technology like guns and trucks and airplanes, but it does have a fantasy theme.

*whispers aggressively* "The HONOUR!"

EpicAddie2
                  @epicaddie2

@joy It sounds like it would make a really good story either way!

INFJ ~ 4w5
                    aldarley.wordpress.com

EpicAddie2
                    @epicaddie2

I have another novel idea.
                      I have lots of them.

So there are these six kids, Aralia, John, Markus, Adam, Emberlee, and Harper, who all live normal lives until one day they each (except Emberlee) come across a piece of jewelry (Ring, necklace, bracelet… I haven’t decided yet), and when they put the piece of jewelry on their minds connect with a phoenix.
                      So basically there are only five phoenixes left in the world, and according to the legends of their world, phoenixes would specially choose one person to be their partner. Those people that are chosen are called Phoenix Riders (Maybe. I might change that). The thing is, the phoenixes were being hunted and killed, so there weren’t many left. And the phoenixes hadn’t chosen anyone for hundreds of years.
                      So the five phoenixes choose partners, and they choose Aralia, John, Markus, Adam, and Harper.
                      That’s mostly all I have. I honestly don’t really have much of a plot.

Oh yeah, I have phoenix name ideas. Tell me which ones you like best!
                      Kateri
                      Galatea
                      Azrael
                      Cyrek
                      Emrys– who would be the king of the phoenixes, and John’s phoenix
                      Lourdes
                      Zenos
                      Raina– Queen phoenix, Aralia’s phoenix

Tell me what you think!

INFJ ~ 4w5
                      aldarley.wordpress.com

Snapper
                      @dragon-snapper
                        • Total Posts: 3515

@mark-kamibaya So that’s what brainstorming looks like.
                        Awesome.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

SeekJustice
                        @seekjustice

@epicaddie2, cool I’ll work on it when I get some spare time (ha-ha, spare time…) I’ll make some time to write it!

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

SeekJustice
                          @seekjustice

@epicaddie2, the phoenix idea sounds cool too. Just a question though, why does poor Emberlee not get a phoenix? and if she doesn’t get a phoenix, what’s her role in the story?

EpicAddie2
                            @epicaddie2

@seekjustice Emberlee is Harper’s best friend, so she kind of tags along with her. In the end a baby phoenix is born and Emberlee is chosen by that phoenix.

INFJ ~ 4w5
                              aldarley.wordpress.com

WarrenLuther04
                              @warrenluther04
                                • Total Posts: 270

This sounds like a fantastic idea! Are you thinking of making the trees like the trees in Narnia/dryads, or just sentient beings that observe? There are so many possible storylines, I am amazed!

Your other novel idea is also good. Phoenixes are amazing mythological creatures, and I hope you submit both of your stories to Kingdom Pen!

Also, the king-phoenix’s name, Emrys, reminded me of a spectacular book series. Depending on where you live, the titles might vary, but in the U.S. it’s called Merlin. The first book is called Merlin: The Lost Years. I don’t want to spoil anything, so I can’t tell you why your phoenix reminded me of it, but I highly recommend that you read it. (Unless you already have, of course.)

Kapeefer 'Till We're Old and Grey!
                                ENFJ-T ... I think (haven't taken the quiz in awhile)

EpicAddie2
                                @epicaddie2

@warrenluther04 I think I’ll make the trees just kind of observing what’s happening. It’ll be difficult that way, but I think I can make it work.
                                  I’ve never read that series! I think I’ve heard of it though. I’ll be sure to check it out!

You’re a Ravenclaw? I am too! Have you been to Harry Potter World in Universal Studios? I just went last month. It was really cool! The butterbeer was REALLY good!
                                  Who’s your favorite Harry Potter character?

INFJ ~ 4w5
                                  aldarley.wordpress.com

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >