Website Feedback

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Josiah DeGraaf
    @aratrea
      • Total Posts: 717

@lifeofkatie Got ya–thanks for the clarification! Yeah, not sure how much I can do about screen sizes, but I’ll see if I can resolve that. 🙂

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus. Guiding authors at Story Embers.

Emma Flournoy
      @emma-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 1352

@Aratrea I concure mostly with what the others said (though I’ll admit I skimmed over a lot of the techincal detail stuff. I know next to nothing of web design. :P). Mostly what I thought when I first went there though was the focus on the story right away, instead of you and the blog. Someone else mentioned it too; it just struck me a little odd to have the first thing be the story instead of the site.
        But I love how personal the feel is, and your bio is hilarious. And I love the mansion.
        So yep…not really anything new for ya there. 😛

Josiah DeGraaf
        @aratrea

@Emma-Flournoy Thanks for the feedback! Appreciate the input. Yeah, I had fun writing that bio. 😉

Emma Flournoy
          @emma-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 1352

@Aratrea I just bet you did. 😀

Hope Ann
            @hope
              • Total Posts: 1092

@Aratrea I really like it! Everyone else has touched on things I would mention – mainly that it is very much a ‘story first’ blog rather an an ‘author first’ blog. Which is great, if you plan on just posting about your stories. If you plan on posting articles or stuff about yourself, you might want to change that aspect of it, even if it is just as slight as the order of your pages. Normally the first page is the most important and the last pages are the more common ones. On a website, generally the first page at the top will be your blog, and then book pages, writing corners, etc. Then you’ll have a newsletter or street team link. The last pages are your bio (love yours, btw XD ) and ‘contact me’.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Hope Ann
              @hope

Also, I’d recommend getting easy ‘follow’ buttons on your site. There’s the email follow, but I’m not sure if that is for the blog or newsletter. And a WordPress follow button would be very helpful to your readers.

Josiah DeGraaf
                @aratrea

@hope Thanks for the advice on page order. That makes sense. The email follow is for the “newsletter,” but I’ll be posting infrequently enough that I’ll be sending an email every time a blog post goes out. What do you mean by follow buttons? And what do you see as being the advantages of allowing WP-follow as opposed to funneling readers to subscribe via email?

Hope Ann
                  @hope

@Aratrea The advantage of a follow button is that you’ll get followers that way who aren’t otherwise committed enough to actually sign up to a newsletter. Depending settings, they will automatically get an email when you post something and your post will show up in their reader feed. I know there are a number of blogs I follow because it just takes the push of a button and then I can keep an eye on them even if I don’t want to sign up to their newsletter.

Josiah DeGraaf
                    @aratrea

@Hope Got it; makes sense!

katie
                      @lifeofkatie
                        • Total Posts: 137

@aratrea – no problem; I totally understand about screen sizes! Again, I think your website looks great! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      >