War-Torn City

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Snapper
    @dragon-snapper
      • Total Posts: 3515

So, I have an idea for a story, but I need a reason for this one aspect.

Why would a city be abandoned after a war. Like a huge city, with a population of a couple million. Why would it be abandoned, and why would it stay abandoned for 15+ years. Ideas? Brainstorm? Throw it at me.

@daeus
      @mark-kamibaya @kate-flournoy @catwing @aratrea @emily @lady-iliara @supermonkey2 @aislinn-mollisong @winter-rose @anyone

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

PrincessFoo
      @princessfoo
        • Total Posts: 194

@dragon-snapper A plague maybe? Or, (because your profile picture reminds me of star-trek) chemical or nuclear residue? Or even just rumors of nuclear residue. Or maybe the city was built over some natural gas chamber that opened and drove people away. Or maybe during the war, an army came and killed everyone who hadn’t left yet, and then no one wanted to come back (because they thought there would be ghosts or something.) Are any of these in the correct general ballpark? What genre is it?

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 1330

@dragon-snapper Maybe there wasn’t enough food. Or the opposing soldiers had occupied during the war and afterwards, everyone was too scared to go back. Or there could have been a giant sinkhole that opened up by the city and everyone was so scared that it was going to open up under the city too that they got out as fast as they could (Ok, that one probably won’t help you :P). Maybe there were dangerous mobs that gathered there after the war so that one by one the people just…left? I dunno…maybe something above helped you in some way or another. 😛

Silverclaw Bonnetfolly
          @silverclaw-bonnetfolly
            • Total Posts: 69

Something could have been found that made it unlivable, or whoever the type of government is could have lied and nobody went back to see if whatever happened or was told happened is still happening.

Anonymous
              • Total Posts: 859

@dragon-snapper Possibly you could have it be a “ghost town”. Maybe the land around the city was used for farming, and the soil failed, so everyone moved on. @princessfoo’s idea of nuclear residue makes sense, depending on the time period and genre.

Snapper
              @dragon-snapper

@princessfoo Yes! Go Star Trek! 😛 so, my first idea was actually a nuclear wasteland, then I realized that because my characters have to go through the city, it wouldn’t make sense. They’d melt. :O The Genre is sci-fi, set in the future of earth, 22nd century.

@emily Actually, the giant sinkhole is really helpful. I’m going to use that somewhere. 😀

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Anonymous

@dragon-snapper, maybe just make it rumors of a nuclear wasteland?

(Oh my goodness, every time I read one of your posts, I laugh, ’cause you melt a chair right after. I don’t know how there can be any chairs left here after your 2,646 posts!)

Anonymous
                    • Total Posts: 1330

@dragon-snapper Ok then! Glad to be of service. *salutes* *bows*

Snapper
                    @dragon-snapper

@silverclaw-bonnetfolly Thanks for your input! I think it sorta does have to do with the government, but I’m not sure how yet.

@shannon (You’re back!) Well, it’s a pretty big ghost town, but that’s definitely what it is…minus the tumbleweeds and self-playing pianos. And yes, I’m going to make the soil useless too. *nods* I think…

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Snapper
                      @dragon-snapper

@shannon 😛

We have chairs the same way the First Order still has computer consuls. 1800-KYLO-INSURED
                        kylo insurance

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Anonymous

@dragon-snapper LOL…now I get it 😜. Yup, I’m back, I though I tagged you in the update saying I was back, but I guess not…

Daeus
                          @daeus
                            • Total Posts: 4238

@dragon-snapper A plague makes sense to me.

Monsters or demons take over the city.

The water gets poisoned.

An unexplained phenomenon creeps out the city so bad they all leave. I.e. 1% of the population mysteriously disappears every Saturday at exactly 12:43 A.M.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

NC Stokes
                            @daughteroftheking
                              • Total Posts: 1156

@dragon-snapper Perhaps whatever resources that made the city livable were destroyed/used up. Water, valuable ores underground, oil, or something.

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

TheAcornman
                              @theacornman
                                • Total Posts: 125

@dragon-snapper Perhaps it could partly be due distrust and suspicions of each others motives. Which could lead to in fighting and the formation of smaller factions. And then from those smaller factions even smaller groups of people break away because os their distrust. Due to all the inner conflict people could begin to leave the city. Possibly using tactics such as those used by terrorists inflicting fear of another war in the general population. Ultimately leading to important work sectors (i.e. health care, mechanics) to fall apart. Thus making the city more unsafe to live and forcing more people to move elsewhere. Until the city was utterly abandoned.

That one English guy.

Daeus
                                @daeus
                                  • Total Posts: 4238

@dragon-snapper Oh, or you could have a nearby mountain that started showing signs of volcanic activity.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >