Variation for Capture the Flag ideas?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy Variation for Capture the Flag ideas?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jess
    @jess
      • Total Posts: 575

Okay, so I am trying to come up with a variation of the game of capture the flag. I don’t necessarily want magic, I just need something that’s not usually incorporated in the regular games. Any ideas?

BlueJay
      @bluejay
        • Total Posts: 1622

What’s capture the flag? @jess

Jess
        @jess

@bluejay, I found this explanation online… It might be more of an American game! 😉

“Both teams get five minutes to hide their flags. Once the flags are hidden, the game begins. Obviously, in order to win the game, you must capture the other team’s flag and bring it back to your own territory. But if an enemy team member grabs you while you’re standing on their part of the field, they are allowed to take you straight to jail (which is a small patch of land in their territory). You can be freed from jail if one of your team members touches you.. You can also be freed after five minutes.”

“Capture the Flag originated on the battlefield of some of the most deadly wars in history. In fact, that was exactly how all the soldiers knew when a battle was over – once the enemy’s flag was captured, both sides considered the skirmish settled. In the [American] Civil War, soldiers that were able to either capture the enemy’s flag or save their own were rewarded with a Medal of Honor. Nobody knows for sure when Capture the Flag took off as an outdoor activity.”

BlueJay
          @bluejay

Hmmm…let me see. What if when the people got tagged they had to work for the opposing side?
            (Btw I’m adding this for my younger sister. *waves hi*) She was waving at my computer screen 🙂

@jess

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by BlueJay.
            Daeus
            @daeus
              • Total Posts: 4238

What? Nobody gets out after five minutes. At least not in any game I’ve ever played.

@jess
              What about putting a really technological twist to the game. Things like laser detectors, super advanced camouflage, spy drones, smoke bombs, etc?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Jess
              @jess

@daeus, yeesh, how long would you play for? Granted, I’ve always used to play with friends in our multi-acre, hilly, wooded backyard, and play would last for hours even with the five-minute rule! I do like the technological twist… I’ll see if I can work that in somehow.

@bluejay
                *waves back at the computer screen* Though I don’t think the work idea will quite fit in with what I’m thinking… 🙁

BlueJay
                @bluejay

@jess She didn’t realize that I told you. 🙂 She says ‘Hi’

Jada Morrison
                  @jadamae
                    • Total Posts: 199

@Jess I’ve never played you go free after 5 minutes. I think playing that way might make the game take longer. Typically most the the team gets caught before the flag is found. As far as variations, what are trying to do with the game? Why does it need to be changed?

Jess
                    @jess

@jadamae, I am just trying to give the game a different twist so it’s not really capture the flag anymore. I want to keep the premise, just make it harder.

Jada Morrison
                      @jadamae
                        • Total Posts: 199

Hm…Maybe make the object harder? As in, instead of a flag, you are trying to capture something else. A person perhaps?

Hope Ann
                        @hope
                          • Total Posts: 1092

Or maybe fight with real weapons…like in Percy Jackson? They have some pretty intense games of capture the flag there. @Jada-morrison’s idea is good too. Perhaps they have to capture a person. Or perhaps one team member on the opposite is a spy and no one on either side know who it is so everyone is sending out spies and making alliances. And maybe they are trying to capture some sort of information?

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Jess
                          @jess

@jadamae, That’s a good idea…

@hope
                            , that’s interesting…

Thanks everyone! I think I have it now! Each team will get a basket with devices to help them. They use wooden and blunted weapons. And, people can defend themselves when they are on the enemy’s territory. If they hit someone, that person cannot capture them for the duration of their stay. I might use the spy idea as I write it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >