Titles are going to be the death of me…

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Idea Critiques Titles are going to be the death of me…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    Kate Flournoy
    @kate-flournoy
      • Total Posts: 3976

*sigh* Okay guys… I need some help here. I’m usually pretty good at brainstorming by myself, but it hasn’t worked this time. Everything I’ve come up with has been awful.
      I’m changing the title of my WIP— the theme shifted in the editing process, and the current title no longer fits. It was ‘Chosen’. Now I’m looking for something along the lines of Wandering, Aimless, Drifting, Lost, Uncharted… something that implies blind searching or confusion or a trackless wilderness.
      I prefer it to be a one word title, though that’s not one hundred percent necessary.
      Do you awesome forum people have any suggestions whatsoever? I’m at my wit’s end.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Kate Flournoy.
      Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

Ooh! Ooh! I’m bestistest at one word titles. Let’s see …

No bearings
        The closing uncertainty
        Groping in the darkness
        Chaos’s path

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Jada Morrison
        @jadamae
          • Total Posts: 199

Is there something wrong with Uncharted? I think that sounds pretty cool.

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy

Thanks @Daeus and @Jadamae! Actually Jada I’ve been considering that one, but my editor (aka my little sister) doesn’t like it for some reason… I’m playing around with using it anyway. 😛 You really like that one?

Sarah Hoven
            @sarah-h
              • Total Posts: 669

I like Uncharted, too. It sounds mysterious.

Hope Ann
              @hope
                • Total Posts: 1092

I was thinking Uncharted sounded kind of cool too.

Or you could put all those wandering words in your title and make them wander around your cover, getting smaller and smaller until they vanish? No? Don’t mind me. That would make it a rather difficult title for people to remember. 😉

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Jada Morrison
                @jadamae
                  • Total Posts: 199

I do really like Uncharted. I think it is a good mix of telling what the story is about without giving things away. (assuming that’s what the story is about 🙂 ) Or, maybe Untrodden?

Hope Ann
                  @hope
                    • Total Posts: 1092

I really like Untrodden!

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Daeus
                    @daeus

I like Untrodden too, but does it convey the right image?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                      @kate-flournoy

I really like that one too guys, but unfortunately it doesn’t quite fit. 🙁 The focus is more on the wanderee than the path being wandered, if that makes any sense. 😛
                        Otherwise that would be perfect in every respect. *frustrated growl*
                        Oh well. Thank you for the awesome idea anyway.

@Jadamae
                        @Hope @Daeus

Daeus
                        @daeus

Makes sense. Do you need any more ideas, or are you going with Uncharted?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                          @kate-flournoy

@Daeus hm… if you happen to think of anything I want to hear it, but for now I think I’ll go with Uncharted.

My little sister is not going to be happy. 😉

Daeus
                            @daeus

Give her my condolences. Maybe some raspberries too.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                              @kate-flournoy

Okay people, this is her little sister, Emma. Actually not physically little, just a little younger. I’m taller. 😉 I had to usurp her account for a minute, because I don’t have my own. Though I sent in my application to be a member a little while ago, so just in case I ever need to say something on the forum again, I won’t have to use hers. 🙂

But I wanted to say the reason I don’t like Uncharted, to see if anyone agrees. For the record though, I respect that this is her book, and I won’t kill her if she uses it. (Kate, be glad.)
                                I think it’s a really cool name too, but it doesn’t quite fit, in my own very humble opinion. Because it’s not that it’s uncharted, it’s just that the MC doesn’t know it. It’s not unknown for everyone; so it’d only fit for him. Get me? Was that coherent? Besides, Uncharted makes me think of a land surveyor. :/

And I just thought that while I’m on here, I’ll tell you guys—I follow y’all on this place, and LOVE watching your discussions. I feel like I know all of you, even though almost none of you do me. I’m awfully glad Kate has so many great guys like herself to talk to. You people are really nice, so keep it up. 😉

And one more thing—even though I’m not a writer myself, I know all the writing lingo and stuff, and understand most everything about story-making (many thanks to Kate 🙂 ), so if anyone replies to me, I’ll understand you without you needing to clarify writerly terms and stuff. Just FYI.

And @Daeus, thanks for the condolences. And the raspberries—those are my favorite kind. 😉

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Kate Flournoy.
                                Kate Flournoy
                                @kate-flournoy

EMMA! EMILY CHRISTINE FLOURNOY, WHAT ON EARTH!!! *gapes in laughing, incredulous astonishment* Okay, I didn’t think you’d seriously ever do it… I do respect your opinion, little sister. 😀 😀 😀 Most definitely. But I have rewritten the book already in my head and I know exactly how it’s going to turn out, and I think the title fits… so THERE. 😉 The author has spoken.

It may change. Who knows. But as of right now, that’s the best we’ve got.

*shakes head, still chuckling* I didn’t think I remembered posting on this topic last…

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >