Tips for Writing Short Stories

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Tips for Writing Short Stories

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    Ethryndal
    @ethryndal
      • Total Posts: 1013

@perfectfifths Nice! Sooo… It’s either an entry fee and a free book, or a free entry and a twenty dollar book. Either way the glass is half full, I guess. 🙂

On another, more random, note, it’s nice that it’s such a professional thing. I entered a short story contest last year done by Patrick Henry College (You actually might not know who they are, being Australian. They’re a college that specializes in writing and literature.). They said the winners would be announced in April, but April passed and there was no word about ANYTHING. They didn’t even tell the contestants what was going on, or if it was being postponed, or WHY. And that kept up until August, when they finally announced the winners, FOUR MONTHS after they were supposed to. It was a pretty bad experience, being my first time at doing something like that. So it’s good that the contests you’re entering are pretty specific about all that. 😀

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Louise Fowler
      @perfectfifths
        • Total Posts: 726

@ethryndal That’s one way to put it! 😀

Yikes! I’m sorry you had to go through that! Yes, it is nice that it’s so professional-like 😉 I have heard of Patrick Henry College, I don’t know where, I don’t know when, and I didn’t know what it was for, but I have heard the name 😉

Y’know, they could very well have meant August and simply made an error, but why wait so long to judge and announce winners, anyway?? I hope this one is prompt and in a timely manner 😉

By the way, I want to point out, the email update I got for your reply just now also said you commented on the $5,000 prize for the Home Life, but I don’t see it in the actual reply, and I don’t see anywhere that it says you edited it. But so you know, yes, the Home Life prize is $5,000 and your story published in the Country Style magazine in July. The simple fact that it was such a huge sum (and that I couldn’t find information for it at first) made me think it was a scam, but once I found the info (wasn’t searching for the right stuff XD) I was all in 😀

Currently reading Les Miserables

Ethryndal
        @ethryndal

@Perfectfifths Zikers! (as @graciegirl would put it 😛 ) Now this thing is deleting parts of my posts! I’ve been having a lot of trouble with the site lately; sometimes certain peoples tags won’t come through, and today, the spot that lets you log in disappeared for four hours and I was locked out of my account. Apparently, it doesn’t like me.

Hey, that could be true! You never know what goes on behind the scenes of these things. Anyway, I think yours will be fine. They’ve been doing these things for a while, right? I don’t think the PH one had been going on very long.

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Louise Fowler
          @perfectfifths

@ethryndal So, you never edited your previous post? Because a few minutes after replying I got another update that had your post minus the comment about $5,000, like I see here now, and I thought, Oh, she did edit it, I just didn’t get an update about it right away. That’s weird 😛

Yeah, I don’t know how long the Bunyan one’s been going, but they have been going a while, and from the looks of it, things were done promptly last year (I didn’t enter then, so I don’t know 😉 )

Emma Flournoy
            @emma-flournoy
              • Total Posts: 1352

@PerfectFifths Nice! Is Douglas Bond Australian? I’ve read some of his books.

@Ethryndal
              @Kate-Flournoy entered that contest too, and went through the same thing (obviously). It was n.e.r.v.e. w.r.a.c.k.i.n.g. I don’t think it was an error, either; not to be badmouthing them of course, but there were updates on their Facebook page or something before then, that said the judging was a little late. The actual reveal was still later than the amended date though.
              I still think that is so cool you got second place. I don’t know if I’ve even told you, actually…but hey, I think it’s so cool you won 2nd place in that NATIONAL contest!!

Ethryndal
              @ethryndal

@Emma-Flournoy Wait, that was NATIONAL?! *freaks out* Whoa. How did I not know that? Though I was in the second division, which is 12-15 year olds, so I doubt there was as much competition as in the first division, 16-18. Pretty cool Kate entered it too! It’s funny how people’s paths cross sometimes and they don’t even know it.

Emma Flournoy
                @emma-flournoy

@Ethryndal Yeah, purty sure. 😀 And it’s still awesome, no matter your age group.
                  I KNOW! Small world.

Ethryndal
                  @ethryndal

@Emma-Flournoy Thanks. 😀 I didn’t breath for the next three days.

Louise Fowler
                    @perfectfifths

@emma-flournoy Nope, Douglas Bond is American. My dad knows him (talk about small world, right? 😉 ) so he’s wanting to get the books I got with my coupon code from entering the contest autographed when he next goes to the States (yeah, my dad is American 😉 )

What books of his have you read? 😀

Emma Flournoy
                      @emma-flournoy

@PerfectFifths Wow. So cool to know a famous author.
                        But it’s gonna be really nice—I’ll know quite a few famous authors once all you guys get published. 😮

I’ve read Hostage Lands, and his 6 Scottish/Scottish-American ones.

Louise Fowler
                        @perfectfifths

@emma-flournoy Haha, that’s a great thought! 😉

Are the Scottish/Scottish-American ones the Crown and Covenant and Faith and Freedom trilogies? Because Crown and Covenant are the ones I got with my coupon 🙂

Emma Flournoy
                          @emma-flournoy

@PerfectFifths Indeed they are. I liked the first trilogy a good deal, and the second one was good at times but I found it pretty boring. 😛 But I hope you like ’em!

Louise Fowler
                            @perfectfifths

@emma-flournoy Thanks for the input 😉 From reading the blurbs, I don’t think I was as interested in the second trilogy, except for the simple fact it’s about the same family. But I don’t even know yet if I like the first trilogy, so I’ll just wait and see how it goes with that first 😉

Emma Flournoy
                              @emma-flournoy

@PerfectFifths At your service. 🙂 *bows*

Louise Fowler
                                @perfectfifths

Welp, I got an email about the Bunyan Fiction Writing contest yesterday. I didn’t win or get runner-up, but that’s okay 🙂 Still waiting about the magazine one, but the winner isn’t decided until next month, so yeah 😛 🙂

@daeus
                                  @ethryndal @emma-flournoy @kate-flournoy @dragon-snapper @mark-kamibaya

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 111 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >