Tips for Writing Short Stories

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Tips for Writing Short Stories

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    Ethryndal
    @ethryndal
      • Total Posts: 1013

@perfectfifths I have nothing to add to anything that has just been said, other than keep it simple and sweet, but I hope you win!

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Louise Fowler
      @perfectfifths
        • Total Posts: 726

@emma-flournoy @ethryndal Thanks, guys! 😀 Normally I wouldn’t go for this since it’s such a small word limit, and I struggled to try one that had 1,7500 (2,500 more words than this) but the prize is… extremely generous and I do have something that I actually need it for. 🙂

Currently reading Les Miserables

Emma Flournoy
        @emma-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 1352

@PerfectFifths Go forth and conquer. 🙂

Louise Fowler
          @perfectfifths

@emma-flournoy Huzzah!

Daeus
            @daeus
              • Total Posts: 4238

@perfectfifths Btw, if you’re allowed to have outside input, I’ll volunteer to beta read. I think I can handle 1,500 words. 😉

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Louise Fowler
              @perfectfifths

@daeus I don’t see why not. Thanks! How would that work? 😀

Daeus
                @daeus
                  • Total Posts: 4238

@perfectfifths Sorry I forgot to get back to you. If you could create a google doc and share it with me, that would be the best. I don’t normally prefer that platform for editing books, but I would in this instance.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Louise Fowler
                  @perfectfifths

@daeus All right, Thanks, that sounds good. When I actually start on the story (and now that I have someone editing/”keeping me accountable” I will probably get that done sooner 😉 ) Thank you!

Ethryndal
                    @ethryndal

@Perfectfiths So when is it being judged/winners announced/whatever that thing is called? 😉 Keep us posted–I want to know if you win. 😀

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Louise Fowler
                      @perfectfifths

@ethryndal All I know is that the closing date is April 19, so I have quite a bit of time. I don’t know when the winner will be announced or anything.

I shall copy-paste the requirements – I am open to any and all suggestions at this point 😀 I just want to point out I don’t believe this is a Christian magazine or contest, so I am going to avoid writing anything obviously Biblical just so I don’t risk the possibility of unfair judging – not that I think they would, but people can be biased. 😉

The chance to see one’s work in print and win a substantial prize of $5000 has tempted many readers over the years to try their hand at Country Style’s Short Story Competition. Some have been experienced writers, others first-timers who surprised themselves with the extent of their literary talent: all are equal 
when the entries are collected for judging. Your story 
can involve any situation or setting, but must incorporate ‘light’ as a major or minor theme in either 
a figurative or literal sense. We look forward to your imaginative response — time to start writing!

Ethryndal
                        @ethryndal

@perfectfifths Phooey, I missed the f in your tag up there, and I didn’t even catch it. XD Do you know what your story’s going to be about yet? Besides light, I mean.

And I hope you don’t mind that I’m being nosy. I always like learning about other peoples writing endeavors. 😉

Louise Fowler
                          @perfectfifths

@ethryndal No worries there; I saw your comment 🙂

As for what my story’s going to be about, I’m not sure at this point. I started with a small idea about a candle and the different meanings lighting one could have, but I wasn’t feeling. I do have a half-written piece about how and why light and darkness are representatives of good and evil, which is pretty good in itself, but I don’t think it’d be appropriate for this entry.

I am open to any suggestions you may have, even if it’s something super tiny, something could grow from it 😉

As for being nosy – you’re not being nosy 😉 I’m happy to share what I’m trying here (actually, I don’t believe a lot of people on here have asked about my writing yet, so this is nice 😀 ) And I will definitely keep you guys posted about whether I win or lose or what have you 😀

Ethryndal
                            @ethryndal

@Perfectfifths (notice I got the f in there 🙂 ) Alas, I haven’t any suggestions, though I may yet so don’t write me off as completely unhelpful. 😉

Though here is something kind of abstract: Light as more of a physical thing than just sun derived. Light as something you can touch and hold, kind of like the memories in Inside Out. Something you can really interact with.

I just realized that was a suggestion. And not a very helpful one at that. Okay, you can write me off now. XD Light has always kind of fascinated me, so I’m interested to see what you come up with. 😀

Louise Fowler
                              @perfectfifths

@ethryndal Ha, I got emailed this time 😉

Heeeeyy… that’s pretty good! I might be able to do something with that! I now remember a little story I read about animals at the beginning of the world, and the world was all in darkness, so the different animals travelled to get the light. It was also like one of those stories that explains why some animals are the way they are, like the vulture is bald because the light burned its feathers off when it carried it on its head.

Don’t you dare say any suggestion is unhelpful – there’s not such thing as a bad idea when brainstorming!

By the way, nice profile pic 😉

Ethryndal
                                @ethryndal

@Perfectfifths Forgive me, dear lady. I repent of my grievous injustice toward helpfulness. 😛 Anyway, glad I could be useful.

And thanks. I rather like it myself. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 111 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >