Those Tear-jerkers :'(

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions Those Tear-jerkers :'(

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    The Happy Bookaholic
    @the-happy-bookaholic
      • Total Posts: 61

Guyyyys I want to know what books have made you cry and why.

For me I only have five and I feel quite proud of myself that I don’t just cry at any old book. They have to be SUPER good books. But yeah, here you go in chronological order of my tears.

1) Ransom’s Mark by Wendy Lawton: because I was a small kid about age ten and when Olive’s sister died I started tearing up and dying inside. I think if I read it again now I probably won’t cry.

2) Little Women by Louisa May Alcott: WHEN BETH DIED. Who doesn’t cry at that? Well actually not when Beth died. I cry at a different time every single time I read it. So I usually cry at Jo’s poem or when Beth and Jo are at the seaside together, or when Jo starts getting depressed and cries Beth’s name out loud. Oh man the feels.

3) Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis: I only cried the first time I read it, when Orual stabbed her arm because she loved Psyche so much. It was so good. But now I don’t cry anymore.

4) Emily’s Quest, by L.M. Montgomery: this one’s kinda weird because no one died or got hurt. It’s just that Emily realised how much she loved Teddy and then she got sad because Teddy would never love her…yeah I cried both times I read it.

5) David Copperfield by Charles Dickens: when David’s mother died. I don’t actually know why I cried because his mother was a bit of a fool, but I think it must have been the sadness and emptiness that the little boy David felt when his mother died.

Ok, so that’s it! Everyone?

Rosey Mucklestone
      @writefury
        • Total Posts: 467

I’ve not really all out cried at a book before. But the Peleg Chronicles made me tear up at a few moments.
        I’ve cried at a couple movies, though. Maybe the visuals get me. 😛

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

Good topic! I also cried reading Little Women, in several different places, but I find the more often I read a book, the less likely I am to cry at the sad parts. So I tend to ration my re-reading based on whether or not I want to maintain my ability to tear up when sad or happy things happen. 😛
          One book that still makes me chokey in my throat and damp about the eyes is The Return of the King, in more places than just the ending. I’ve teared up over almost all of Sam Gamgee’s ‘speeches’ and the little sacrifices he made so Frodo could keep on, and when I thought Faramir had died, and obviously at the Grey Havens in Mithlond… I could have cried with frustration when the hobbits came back to the Shire and found it as they did. (I won’t say anymore— don’t want to give too many spoilers!)
          Also A Tale of Two Cities, at the end scene with Sydney Carton’s sacrifice, and most recently ‘The Count of Monte Cristo’. With that one it wasn’t so much a sad or happy crying as it was an ‘I’m-so-shocked-and-dazzled-and-awestruck-with-this-thing-in-so-many-places-that-I’m-just-going-to-topple-backwards-and-have-a-thinking-meditation-fit’ kind of crying. It’s not like I fell down on my bed and wept my heart out or anything.

Another one that makes me teary eyed in some places is Howard Pyle’s ‘Men of Iron’. Have you read it?

Hope Ann
          @hope
            • Total Posts: 1092

The end of The Warden and the Wolf King (last book of the Wingfeather Saga) made me tear up. I was in a bit of shock over what the author actually did. Has anyone read the Wingfeather Saga…very good books.

The end of Mockingjay made me cry too, but for the opposite reason…there was so much hopelessness and despair.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Jada Morrison
            @jadamae
              • Total Posts: 199

I almost never cry at books but “Rilla of Ingleside” by Lucy M. Montgomery made me cry when they read Walter’s letter that he wrote right before he died. Every time I read it, I cry.

Ivy Rose
              @ivy-rose
                • Total Posts: 102

I love crying over books! It doesn’t happen very often, though…the book has to be REALLY good for me to cry about it. The first book that comes to my mind is A Penny Parcel by Avery E Hitch. That book…wow…it was such a powerful story that I wasn’t able to stop thinking about it for DAYS! Actually, all 3 of Avery’s books made me cry. She is such an incredible writer, you feel like you know the characters like siblings by the time the book is over.

Mostly, I cry over something good; like a big relief from oppression or something like that. Sometimes I’ll cry about a sad part, but mostly over happy parts. 🙂

Tatiana
                @belegteleri
                  • Total Posts: 97

I am a very emotional person. I’ve cried over a lot of books over the last year or so. I can’t remember all of them, but here are the most recent:

1. “Rilla of Ingleside”, L.M. Montgomery. @Jada, that part gets me every time.

2. “The Book Thief”, Markus Zusak. It is a depressing book! I was crying constantly in the reading of it.

3. “Unbroken”, Laura Hillenbrand. When the POWs found out that the war was over, I was so relieved I cried! It felt so good!

4. “The Silmarillion”, J.R.R. Tolkien. Yes, I cried when I read this book. I don’t remember exactly which part, but I know it had something to do with Maedhros.

5. “A Tale of Two Cities”, Charles Dickens. Never have I cried more. Ever. And I never will again.

6. “Son”, Lois Lowry. This book is the sequel to “The Giver”. So the main character falls in love with this guy, and he falls in love with her too, but they can’t get married because she has to leave and find her son, and the book says they never saw each other again. Their relationship was the sweetest thing ever! It wasn’t mushy or anything like that. I couldn’t help thinking that at the end of the book, they eventually found each other again and got married.

And I always cry when I read the Lord of the Rings. And “Anne of the Island”, when Ruby dies. Ohhh, and the Viking Quest series. Not so much the first ones, but definitely the last one at the end. And the Maze Runner series. It’s kind of violent and really painful as some of the (really amazing) main characters die.

I feel the need to reiterate the fact that I am a very emotional person and that books get to me in a way that nothing else can. 🙂

Daeus
                  @daeus
                    • Total Posts: 4238

Another one that makes me teary eyed in some places is Howard Pyle’s ‘Men of Iron’. Have you read it?

Hey, men of iron, somebody else has read that. Howard Pyle is a pretty good author. Men of iron was probably his best one since it was the most personal.

Sorry guys, I don’t cry over books. Some stories will put me in a daze though or get me all emotional. For that though, I have to say, I think true stories often hit the hardest. Especially when the person who is telling it is getting all emotional too.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Ezra Wilkinson
                    @ezra-wilkinson
                      • Total Posts: 146

Pfft. I’m going with stories that make me cry, because stories are stories, whatever form they’re in:

1. Harry Potter. It’s sad. So. Many. Times.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird. I usually can hold together pretty well, but that last stinkin’ line…

3. Halo. Just…it’s terribly sad.

4. Many Doctor Who things. Because it’s Doctor Who

David B. Hunter
                      @dbhgodreigns
                        • Total Posts: 89

Probably the number one for me was “I Know Why Angels the Dance” by Bryan Davis. I didn’t really cry, but that is probably the closest I’ve come to crying.

Kate Flournoy
                        @kate-flournoy

@Tatiana— Yes! I remember crying reading the Silmarillion as well. I think it was when Morgoth had chained Maedhros to the cliff to die, and Fingon, I think it was, came to rescue him, and couldn’t, and was afraid he was going to have to shoot him to end his pain. That’ll make anyone tear up.

@Daeus
                          — yes, Men of Iron is a great book. I liked Otto of the Silver hand as well, (another tear-jerker, only in a different way) but it can’t hold a candle to Men of Iron. Myles was the crowning achievement of characterization for Howard Pyle.

The Happy Bookaholic
                          @the-happy-bookaholic
                            • Total Posts: 61

@Hope I’ve read the Wingfeather Saga but I didn’t cry at the end. Personally I didn’t like the protagonist and found him rather irritating…but the plot was good. Writing style and grammar not excellent, but the plot was admittedly riveting and very complex.

@Kate I only JUST finished the Lord of the Rings last week and now I’m a new fan. I’m so in love with it and I NEARLY cried when Sam carried Frodo but I told myself not to because I didn’t want to add to the number of books at which I cry (I know, I’m weird like that). But I haven’t read the Silmarillion yet.

@Jada and @Tatiana I have read Rilla of Ingleside (oh come on I’ve read all seven Anne books) but I didn’t really like the book as a whole compared to its predecessors. I have to admit that the part when Walter dies is pretty terrible. But I didn’t cry.

I really love A Tale of Two Cities but I didn’t cry at the ending. I just stared at the book and went “Wow. Wow. Wow. WHY I CANNOT WRITE LIKE THAT.” That’s actually my usual response to books that are super good but don’t make me cry. I get really depressed with my own writing.

Shaina
                            @jenali
                              • Total Posts: 142

Hmmm, I don’t usually out and out cry over books, though there are a quite a few that make me tear up. The ending of Lord of the Rings does that to me every, single, time.

But, there are a couple that I have bawled over. ‘The Boy in the Striped Pajamas’, very well done, very, very sad. And ‘The Three Brides’, I love the book so much, even though the ending is so sad! It is the only one that I would suggest to someone else even though it is a tear jerker.

That said, I really don’t like crying over books, and I usually get annoyed that it made me cry. ‘The Three Brides’ is the only exception to that rule.

The Scattered Writer

Greta
                              @gretald
                                • Total Posts: 450

I usually don’t cry during books, but I cried during Allegiant (I was literally bawling) and Where the Red Fern Grows (and I was bawling again 🙂 ). And I started tearing up reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and The Seven Sleeper Series.

Kate Flournoy
                                @kate-flournoy

@Greta-D yes! Where the Red Fern Grows makes me bawl as well. And Old Yeller, though not in the same way.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >