THE THING YOU WOULD HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR IF YOU KNEW ABOUT IT (I assume)

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions THE THING YOU WOULD HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR IF YOU KNEW ABOUT IT (I assume)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Daeus
    @daeus
      • Total Posts: 4238

*Warning. Big announcement ahead*

Hey everybody, I’ve been working in the background recently on the newest KP project to be. Let me tell you, this thing’s gonna be pretty cool. All I need is to know that enough of you can do this to make it happen. So here’s the idea.

Have you ever noticed how the way you read novels totally changed after you became an author? I know, you just all of a sudden start seeing how they “showed instead of told”, or used symbolism to pull of a really powerful punch, or maybe even how the author messed up somewhere. Reading books from an analytical author’s perspective can teach you tons about the craft.

Well, what if instead of just your perspective, you could dissect a book with a bunch of other authors? You could learn even more.

That’s exactly what this is all about. KP want’s to start an Official Author’s Book Club and all we need to know is that you are on board.

We’ll discuss more details when I know you all are up for this, but here’s basically how it will work:

.First of all, everyone can suggest a book they want to study and vote on them. I’ll pick one or two of the most popular and send them off to KP for verification. Assuming it looks like a good choice, that will be the book we’ll study.
      .Next, we’ll dig in. There will be a regulated pace to this. We can talk more about this later, but I’m thinking maybe two chapters a week. We don’t want this to be too hard on anybody’s schedule. So the first week we will read our chapters and the second week we will dissect those chapters and read the next ones. I’ll create a new subject on the forum for every book we study.
      .I’ve been asked to be the club leader. Basically, this just means I’ll keep the ball rolling, but anyone can bring up a topic for discussion/dissection.

Well, what do you think?

• This topic was modified 7 years, 12 months ago by Daeus.
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Josiah DeGraaf.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Christine Eaton
      @christi-eaton
        • Total Posts: 306

That sounds awesome! I’m in! I’ve got a couple books to recommend that has changed me both as a person and as a writer!

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Daeus
        @daeus

High five @christi-eaton! You get a special award for being the first person to register. *searches frantically for a reward* Ah! Here we go. ???

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Christine Eaton
          @christi-eaton
            • Total Posts: 306

Yay! Thanks @daeus *eats virtual candy and returns high five*

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Daeus
            @daeus

Goody, now let me round in the other peeps. Hmm, let’s see.

@faithdk
              @hannah-olsen @vanna @overcomer @zoe-wingfeather @ingridrd

@adry_grace
              @cahndida-serkhaman @lightningmouse @anna-brie @hannah-krynicki @mas410 @gretald @ivy-rose @dbhgodreigns @the-happy-bookaholic @belegteleri @writefury @kate-flournoy @hannah-c @jenali @hislittlerose @wordfitlyspoken @jadamae @rolena-hatfield @hope @watersnail @sarah-h

• This reply was modified 7 years, 12 months ago by Daeus.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hannah A. Krynicki
              @hannah-krynicki
                • Total Posts: 81

Hey @daeus, great idea! Sign me up. Suppose we decided to dissect the entire History of Middle-earth series…? 😉

Amanda Fischer
                @wordfitlyspoken
                  • Total Posts: 79

Thanks for tagging me. I tend to forget I haven’t checked KP in forever, then it emails me when someone tags me and I’m like “Oh hey, that’s right, KP forums are a thing.”

😛

Anyway, this sounds like a cool idea! I’m not sure I could commit to it in this season of life, but it is definitely something I’ve thought about before and it’s true, you do learn a lot more if you read books with the intent to learn how the author does things–and discussing it with others is absolutely beneficial.

Anonymous
                    • Total Posts: 68

how about yes!!!
                    although i’m not a published author.
                    does that matter?

~~Zoë, Master Fangirl and Sower of Dreams in Fantasia, in the Realm of the KeePers.

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy
                      • Total Posts: 3976

Oh boy, this sounds absolutely lovely @Daeus, but I don’t think I can do it… *sheds bitter tears* Especially not since we’re coming up on summer now, and I’m going to be spending a ton of time out picking tomatoes for my little brother’s tomato growing business…

If you guys hold the discussions on the forum and it’s a book I’ve read, I may drop a line or two, but otherwise I’m going to have to say I’m too busy. 🙁
                      Have fun, though, those of you who can do it!!!

Daeus
                      @daeus

@zoe-wingfeather
                        Dear Master Fangirl and Sower of Dreams in Fantasia, in the Realm of the KeePers,

According to article 47 of the rules and regulations governing the KeePer book club, “no member is to be withheld or impeded in any way from engagement in the book studies for reasons of the lack of publication.”

And a note for anyone who is not sure if they will be able to participate but would like to: We’d love it if you’d just stop in for a short time if you ever do have the opportunity. Sometime or other we will probably be going over a book you’ve already read so you could just hop right in.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Daeus
                        @daeus

@kate-flournoy Gardening is quite a noble distraction. Probably we’ll get to a book you’ve read some time or another so I’m sure you won’t be totally cut off. It’d be nice to have you.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Anonymous
                            • Total Posts: 68

@daeus bahahah i laughed

sounds awesome!

Kate Flournoy
                            @kate-flournoy
                              • Total Posts: 3976

@Daeus I’ll keep my eyes peeled for that. It’d be nice to come. 🙂 Thank you.

Hope Ann
                              @hope
                                • Total Posts: 1092

That sounds like a lot of fun. I’m in. I should have time, though no promises… 😉

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Tatiana
                                @belegteleri
                                  • Total Posts: 97

Oh my gosh, this sounds so awesome! I would love to present my writerly opinions on books and share them with you all! @daeus I haven’t been on KP in a while, but this here post just made my day! Thank you so much!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >