The Show Don't Tell Me Rule

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions The Show Don't Tell Me Rule

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 95

@daeus, @dekreel, @sam-kowal, @emily, @supermonkey42, @epicaddie2 @alia, @dragonsnapper, @any and all…

If you’re like me you spend a deal of your time learning to write. Learning style techniques, word usage, and hundreds of other stuff. One such technique is the “Show Don’t Tell” rule. It has been something I have been trying to understand and I just found the BEST tool. Well actually it was sent to me and some of you may have even gotten the same following email today

————–

Hi

Are you a writer?

If not, sorry to bother you. Forget this message even exists. In fact, you never even received it. That was just an illusion. Have a nice day!

Still reading?

Then this is for you.

What’s one of the most prevalent issues that plague both published and unpublished novelists alike?

It’s a lack of mastery of the essential writing rule, “show don’t tell.” You’re probably already aware of this rule. If so, you can easily imagine what mastering it could do for your writing.

This week, I am releasing part 1 of a four-part mastery course that dives deep into the often undiscussed details of “show don’t tell.”  The best part is that if you get it before midnight, January 7th, it’s totally free! (After January 7th, it will be $37.)

Has anyone tested this course out yet?

Yes. I’ve already had a few writers preview it. Here’s what Josiah Degraaf, editor-in-chief of Kingdom Pen Magazine, had to say about it.

“Many writers struggle knowing what it looks like to “show not tell” when they’re told their work tells too much. Daeus has put a lot of time and thought into thinking through what it looks like to show effectively. Each lesson breaks one aspect of showing down into multiple, easy-to-follow steps and sheds clarity on what can be a confusing topic for many writers. I would recommend this course to any writer who wants to tell more compelling, engaging stories.”

Also, last time I published a course on writing, I got a review from one student stating the following.

“I’ve learned loads more about writing from this course than I have in my three years at college (which reportedly has the best creative writing program around.)”

If you’re a writer, click on this link //www.thescratchingquill.com/the-show-dont-tell-course/  and check it out.

———-

This course really helped me to begin to understand how to show and not tell. The course is a few short videos that break it down and give you chances to practice. But this right here is me telling you how great this course is let me show you what its like.

I sat at my computer with my earbuds shoved in my ears as my pen floated over my paper. Looking up I watched my screen as I listened intently to the enthusiastic voice. there was a pause, a chance for me to practice on my own. Pulling out my earbuds I began to move my pen is various strokes to form letters in order to form words on my paper as I scratched out the assignment. Completing it I turned back to my computer and played the next segment of video lecture. Eagerly I scribbled notes as the speaker began to talk fast spewing tasty bits of information. I quickly hit the pause button to give me a chance to write.

Now that is my first try and I hope that showed you what happened to me during to videos. I encourage you (even if you got this mastered) to take a look at it. And for those of you who do know how to show not tell how did I do in showing?

Please tag anyone I missed who you know needs this long post.

Sam Kowal
      @sam-kowal
        • Total Posts: 635

@inkling-for-christ

😀 I got the same email

Stan and I got the course, too

I’m really liking it so far

I’ve watched about half of Part 1

All I can say is, @daeus thanks for making such a good learning tool available for free, and great job

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
        Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

Ben Powell
        @supermonkey42
          • Total Posts: 273

@inkling-for-christ

*squints*

Did @daeus put you up to this to get free advertising?

Nah, just kidding! 😉

Yes, I got the email, but I haven’t had a chance to do the course yet. From your stellar recommendation, though, I definitely will do it soon. One of my weaknesses is relying on telling, especially when I’m writing in third person.

A Kapeefer for life!
          Compendium of KP Literature: kapeeferliterature.wordpress.com

Daeus
          @daeus
            • Total Posts: 4238

@inkling-for-christ Haha! 😀 I don’t think I’ve ever seen a “show don’t tell” review before. Good job.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Audrey Caylin
            @audrey-caylin
              • Total Posts: 323

@inkling-for-christ I just randomly stumbled across this forum topic, and I’m so glad I did! Definitely signing up 😀

Anonymous

Showing seems easy to do when you are writing in third person but how does one accomplish it when writing a first-person narrative?

Daeus
                @daeus

@inkling-for-christ First person and third person really aren’t that different. Mood setting descriptions, body language, sensations — they all still work. If you have trouble telling in a first person story, it seems you have a telly-y narrator. If your narrator is constantly telling how he/she feels or giving too much information about the situation, just change the narrative style a bit. Have the narrator be more subtle. Does that help?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy
                    • Total Posts: 3976

All KeePers and Kapeefers alike, I can also seriously recommend this course. Click it. Sign up. Do the thing.

Sam Kowal
                    @sam-kowal

@inkling-for-christ  Everything that the course teaches about showing and the techniques to use it more effectively, for example, body language, can be transferred into first person just by changing what the character says, for example

“I walked down the hall slowly, feeling nervous (telling)

would change to

“I shuffled down the hall, my hands clenched inside my pockets and my heart thumping” (showing)

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Sam Kowal.

Daeus
                      @daeus

@inkling-for-christ

Yeah, what @sam-kowal said. 😛

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Anonymous

@daeus, and @sam-kowal

Thanks, guys! That does help. Guess I should study those homework pages and practice them more thoroughly. So in essence you are saying to “tell” the story by showing the environment rather than telling what it looks like?

Sam Kowal
                          @sam-kowal

@inkling-for-christ Yes, that’s exactly it. SHOW the environment, don’t have the narrator TELL the reader what it looks like. Have it be more like you’re looking directly through the narrator into the story, rather than that they’re trying to summarize what they saw for you and tell it back to you

Elizabeth
                            @that_writer_girl_99
                              • Total Posts: 1819

I’m with @kate-flournoy here. Definitely recommend the course. It’s awesome. @daeus did a great job!

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Aislinn Mollisong
                              @aislinn-mollisong
                                • Total Posts: 445

@daeus I already finished the course. Get part two out quickly. I MUST LEARN!!!!!

ENTP, Aether-borg Hero with cape obsession and fascination with swords.
                                https://forums.theaetherli

Daeus
                                @daeus

@aislinn-mollisong 😀 Okay. I’m working on it.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >