The Problem Child

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Idea Critiques The Problem Child

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Snapper
    @dragon-snapper
      • Total Posts: 3515

So, I’m writing a trilogy right now. A sci-fi trilogy, and I’ve finished the first book. I’m 30% through the second book. But I have problem.
      I have no plot for the third book. I know who my villain is. I know who my heroes are, but I have no exciting way to make them clash. Does anyone know how I’m might make an election in a country that has never had elections actually exciting? Something bigger than just character issues?
      I have scenes in my head, but its only enough for 30,000 words. I need 80,000, 70,000 at least.
      HELP!

@daeus
      @kate-flournoy @salome01w4g @shannon @aratrea @epicaddie2 @catwing @seekjustice @alloftheotherwisekapeefers

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

SeekJustice
      @seekjustice
        • Total Posts: 3365

@Dragon-snapper I have a confession to make. I’ve never written a third book. I’ve written a duology, but most of my novels are standalones. I’m not really sure how to help you, but I have a few suggestions. Finish the second book first, and then look at it. are there any loose ends that need to be tied up, which you could use in the third book? Is there a subplot or something in the second book that needs more than one book to explore? As for making an election exciting…make the stakes personal for the characters. For example, if one side wins, what does that mean for your characters? if that side doesnt win, what does that mean for the characters? If its not personal, the readers won`t care about this election.
        I hope that`s helpful!

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Daeus
        @daeus
          • Total Posts: 4238

@dragon-snapper Well, I always recommend knowing your end from the beginning. But, of course, we have to deal with the situation as it is.

I think this is the simplest way to approach the issue. What lessons do your characters learn in the first two books and what would it look like if that lesson had to be learned on a national scale? Once you’ve answered that question, ask what terrible calamities could get in the way.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Anonymous
            • Total Posts: 1330

@dragon-snapper It’s tough for me to say because I don’t know the plot for your other books. What about the people just overthrew whatever ruler there was previously and now have an upcoming election for a new ruler? Or also, what if the present day ruler decided that his power was so great, that everyone would vote for him if there was an election. So to demonstrate his popularity (and to show his opponents that he wasn’t just ruler because he was the successor) he arranged an election to show everybody. *desperately hopes the aforesaid makes sense* Hope something in all of that above confusion of words helps you a little. 😜 As for the plot, I agree with @seekjustice. Just wait until you finish your present book and then read over it and your first. Something will be sure to come to you. 😉
            Ok. I don’t know how many words that was, but that has got to be my longest KP post yet. Hope it helped you some.

Catwing
            @catwing
              • Total Posts: 2557

@dragon-snapper *gasp* *is touched* You think I am a wise KaPeeFer? Thank you. I myself am writing a trilogy. Editing book one, outlining two. Number three is waiting it’s turn. Hopefully I can halt the speeding train of infinite plot and resolve everything. Though I’m waiting to write the second first. So @seekjustice that’s sort of what I’m doing. But on to your question…
              They have never had an election. They probably need to figure out how they are going to do that. Meaning problems in the design of the election, hacking (may be easier), world dominationaters looking for the easy way to rule a country by infiltrating the government and then corrupting it, double votes for the same person, system glitches, etc. Everything that could go wrong will go wrong. *grins*
              Terrorists, bombs, a car crash, giant angry robots, betrayal.
              There’s a few thoughts for you.

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

Hannah
              @salome01w4g
                • Total Posts: 991

@dragon-snapper…. ummmmm……….. everyone else has said about what I could say… sooooo… well I’d just finish book 2 then worry about book 3

~I don’t know what I’m doing~

Snapper
                @dragon-snapper

Why do I always forget about my own topics? *facepalm*

So first off @daeus You’re point about the lessons to be learned does open up a lot. I planned the second book by plotting out the theme first…I guess I should do that again, just for a national scale. And indeed it works very well. And usually, I would plot it out from beginning to end, I just had no idea that this would be a trilogy when I started Sector One…sooo. *climbs tree and hides in foliage*

@seekjustice
                  Loose ends. I forgot about those. And I say I’m a perfectionist… Ha!
                  @emily Ooh, I like the idea of the one making an election just to prove his popularity. That’ll work well for my villain/antagonist.

@catwing
                  Aye, you are wise. A wise cat. 😛 All those little things you mentioned, ie. car chase, bombs, betrayal, glitches and hackers…I’ve got to use them! Haha!

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Snapper
                  @dragon-snapper

*double facepalm* And I used the wrong form of ‘your’. My apologies, grammar fairies.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Catwing
                    @catwing

@dragon-snapper *Cheshire cat grin* That I am. Though I forgot about one. The man with the gun. (I read a writing article somewhere, that had something about if their book was getting boring they would throw in a man with a gun. Or something else suspenseful. I wouldn’t use a random guy with a gun all the time though. Just stuff from a Man With A Gun mental list. Though my story hasn’t had that problem. Yet. 😉 )

Snapper
                      @dragon-snapper

@catwing Man with a gun…mysterious catwing with a gun. That would be creepy. 😛

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Catwing
                        @catwing

@dragon-snapper *nods* Catwings like cats don’t really have opposable thumbs. So I don’t know how I would shoot it…

Anonymous
                            • Total Posts: 1330

@dragon-snapper Glad to be of service. Hey, I like that: grammar fairy. Listen up, everyone. Not only am I now the perfect grammaticalion, but I am also a grammar fairy. JK.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >