The Next Four Years

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions The Next Four Years

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    The Happy Bookaholic
    @the-happy-bookaholic
      • Total Posts: 61

Okay so this isn’t exactly related to writing, but I was wondering what all you Americans are thinking in this time period.

As an American friend of mine said: “Four and a half years of a fast ride down a hill have been confirmed for the U.S. We just don’t know which of the two contestants is going to be pushing us down that hill.”

What are your thoughts on this election? I’d like to say that ‘I don’t care because it doesn’t affect me here in Singapore’, but with America being such a global superpower, it’s impossible for this presidency not to affect the world. But for you guys, how’s it? Might I dare to ask…who you will be voting for, if you are old enough to vote?

So yeah I’d just like to know some thoughts from a Christian demographic, and from firsthand observers. 🙂

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@the-happy-bookaholic good question Sarah. I’m not old enough to vote, but if I were, I wouldn’t vote at all. I don’t really buy the argument that no vote is a vote for someone else, and the lesser of two evils is still evil.
        Ultimately, I’m judged by God, not the Republican party (or what’s left of it) and I’d rather take human pressure now than try and explain to my Savior why I supported a lying, adulterous con man for president of my nation.
        So what about the next four years?
        Well… we ride it out. America’s been low before, but God knows what He’s doing.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Kate Flournoy.
        • This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Kate Flournoy.
        Daeus
        @daeus
          • Total Posts: 4238

@the-happy-bookaholic I’d rather have Hillary than Trump, not because she’s better but because she’s a democrat and at least wouldn’t be a blight to the republican party. I’ll either write Cruz in or vote Constitutional or Libertarian, none of which will get elected, but it will at least be a statement and might help a good third party get some minor seats down the road.

Thankfully we’re not just a national government and can still save our individual states, but that itself doesn’t seem to hopeful for most states including mine. I’m kind of thankful though because I really think this is a good thing. There are millions of amazing people all across the US, but many of them have just been lazy. Rich, fat, and stupid we like to say. Anyways, I think they’re gonna start waking up. That’s just what we need. We don’t need numbers, we need strength. Everybody over here is lazy. I’m lazy. We can’t stay that way forever though. There’s also some really great stuff happening on the sides. Like the ark. Hey, that’s opening before the elections even and it’s gonna be presenting the gospel to millions upon millions of people a year. *rubs hands gleefully* Yes, these will be interesting times. You might want to grab some popcorn.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Greta
          @gretald
            • Total Posts: 450

@the-happy-bookaholic I’m kind of glad that I can’t vote for anyone, since I’m not old enough yet. Right now, I honestly don’t know who I’d vote for: Hillary, who’s clearly been caught in lies before, or Trump, who, if we’re all honest, doesn’t have a clue what being a president entails and would be horrible at foreign relations and could possibly even start a war. Yeah, I don’t know. I just have to trust that God’s got this–I know He does. Really, though, the choice between Hillary and Trump isn’t a choice at all.

@kate-flournoy
            I see your point about not voting at all. Like I said before, I’m glad I can’t vote yet, so I don’t have to make that decision for now, anyway. Part of me thinks that anyone is better than Hillary, but then again, from the debates I’ve watched, Trump seems to have absolutely no idea what he’s doing. I’m not sure which one’s worse. And we Republicans definitely should not just vote for Trump because he’s the Republican nominee.

There are millions of amazing people all across the US, but many of them have just been lazy. Rich, fat, and stupid we like to say. Anyways, I think they’re gonna start waking up. That’s just what we need. We don’t need numbers, we need strength.

@Daeus
            , Wow, way to see the bright side! 🙂 Seriously, though, that is a great point. It’s so sad how lazy and even–dare I say it–uneducated we’ve become. I think that technology (smart phones, games, television, etc.) is a big reason why we’ve become so lazy. All many Americans want is to be entertained. It’s really sad.

Reagan Ramm
            @reaganramm
              • Total Posts: 110

I’ll probably write-in Rand Paul.

My Music:
              AndromedaCoastMusic.com

Learn Music Production:
              OrpheusAudioAcademy.com

The Happy Bookaholic
              @the-happy-bookaholic
                • Total Posts: 61

I’ll either write Cruz in or vote Constitutional or Libertarian, none of which will get elected, but it will at least be a statement and might help a good third party get some minor seats down the road.

@Daeus
                oh is that an option? Sorry; I’m not that well-versed in American politics.

Oh, and *anyway

Daeus
                @daeus
                  • Total Posts: 4238

@the-happy-bookaholic Yes, we have many political parties and you can vote for any of them. It’s just that only the democrats or republicans ever win (except maybe in a few very small government positions). You can also vote for whoever you want. Santa Clause gets a couple votes every year. It would be a huge constitutional crisis if he ever won. 😉

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hope Ann
                  @hope
                    • Total Posts: 1092

Santa Clause gets a couple votes every year. It would be a huge constitutional crisis if he ever won.

I think I just discovered who I’m going to vote for.

In all seriousness though, I honestly don’t know. If there’s a reasonably 3rd party candidate, I’ll likely vote for them. Or I might write in someone like Ted Cruz. I’ve one friend who said this election might finally jolt people enough to make a third party a viable option in the future.

I know what you mean about the lesser of two evils, @kate-flournoy though I still think it’s best to vote, even if it’s for someone other than the two main candidates. Unless the elections were rigged, in which case I might boycott them.

As to what will happen here in the next four years, @the-happy-bookaholic, I just don’t know. I don’t really want to know. If we could get a good house or senate, that would help balance some things out. If. But I figure we’ll survive one way or another. 😉 Yes, I want to keep our freedoms. But Christians live in very oppressive governments even today. Things aren’t going to say good forever. (Isn’t that an optimistic view of life?) But, as my father said; the government might change; the life of a Christian doesn’t change.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >