The Mind of a Writer

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions The Mind of a Writer

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 327 total)
  • Author
    Kate Flournoy
    @kate-flournoy
      • Total Posts: 3976

Wow, you guys… I love this forum.

@Dragon-Snapper
      take the test. Here it is. It’s fascinating. If I had to guess, I’d put you down as either ENFJ or ENTJ. @Corissa-Maiden-of-Praise is an ENTJ, and @Daeus and @Bluejay are ENFJs, so either way you’re in good company. 😉 And I know EXACTLY what you mean about mimicking character expressions— I’ve actually had people ask me if I was in pain before. XD

Corissa, well, it’s probably one of the weirdest experiences I’ll ever have, that’s for sure. This one dream in particular, (the first I ever had of this nature, I think) was pretty disconcerting… and fun. 😉 I was an INTJ character, which is quite a switch for an INFP. To suddenly find both my Feeling function and my Perceiving function replaced with Thinking and Judging was… well, a little freaky, honestly. 😛 I was making logical, detached decisions. I’d lost my empathy. I literally could not feel the emotions of those around me. I was completely calm and collected and in control— not even uncertain inwardly. Probably the strangest thing though is that I was doing things no INFP in their right mind would even think to do. Not wrong things, but just from a perspective no INFP would ever think to come from. For instance, I had a meeting with a spy or something, and the rendezvous I set was in a morgue. Or no, I think it was a spy ring was meeting at a morgue and I went and hid there beforehand so I could spy on them… I don’t remember. It was a completely different perspective. Not to mention my motives and memories were not my own, but those of the character.
      And then I woke up and spent about a minute and a half trying to figure out where I was, who I was, and what I was doing. 😛

*sigh* I love dreams.

@Hope
      yes, it’s quite fun. 😀

Corissa Maiden of Praise
      @corissa-maiden-of-praise
        • Total Posts: 256

@dragon-snapper Weeeeellll… yeah. But we’d have to change the wording a little anyway so it’d make sense on a t-shirt. And to be honest, the Californians might think it was pretty funny themselves, I don’t know. Do we have any Californians on here? 😉

@kate-flournoy
        what fun! I’ve only had a confused wake-up once, and I was completely confused about what day it was. I’d had such a realistic dream that I was convinced something had already happened or was about to happen that was still actually a few days away. It was… interesting. I was surprised once I finally got it figured out how long it took me. 😛 😉

Wait, a morgue? How exciting! There’s this restaurant my aunt went to once that’s an ice-cream and pizza shop, and it’s in a building that used to be used for cremation, so they call it the Granny Joe’s Ice Creamatorium. 😉

"Courage is action in spite of fear."

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy

@Corissa-Maiden-of-Praise oh my word!!! That’s… wow. That’s morbid. 😛

Corissa Maiden of Praise

@kate-flournoy From what I’ve heard, the food’s actually pretty good. 😉 Actually, it’s in Ohio (Vermilion), so if you’re ever up that way you guys could try it if you wanted to. 😀

Jess
            @jess
              • Total Posts: 575

I was making logical, detached decisions. I’d lost my empathy. I literally could not feel the emotions of those around me. I was completely calm and collected and in control— not even uncertain inwardly.

Yes…? Welcome to my life. (Most of the time) @kate-flournoy

, I don’t know if I would trust that ice cream place. 😛

Corissa Maiden of Praise

@dragon-snapper WARNING: do not be surprised if you get more than one result. I’ve gotten three, (ENTP, ENTJ, and ENFJ) but after reading descriptions and stuff I think that ENTJ is accurate. (although I’m not certain that I don’t have some of the empathy of an NF like Kate has; I can’t say that I don’t sense the emotions of those around me, because I do- keenly. @kate-flournoy is there such a thing as an ENT/FJ? I’m still trying to figure this whole thing out, so forgive me if any of the questions I ask seem obvious. I assure you I only ask because I’m genuinely curious.)

@jess
                Aw, c’mon; where’s your sense of adventure? 😀 I plan to try it if I’m ever in the neighborhood. 😀

Snapper
                @dragon-snapper
                  • Total Posts: 3515

@kate-flournoy Well, turns out I’m an ENFJ; I don’t even know what that means… Besides, I sometimes think I belong in my own world. You’ll find that there is hardly anyone who is exactly like me. And I understand that there are many people in the world like that…just like the rest of us, but for some reason, I think the test is being generous. 😀 😛

@jess

In addition to talking to ourselves, does anyone else talk to their stuff? “Why are you being annoying? Would you work and do your job already? Stop…just stop! Oh good grief, why do I even try? Okay, you go here, and you go here.”

Does anyone ever get swayed by music? Whenever I’m writing, or doing anything really, music affects me. If I’m writing a sad scene, listening to sad music makes it work better. Battle scenes, battle music. Epic scenes, epic music. Happy scenes, happy music.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy

@Corissa-Maiden-of-Praise yes, it’s possible for any of the four functions that make up a type to be very close with their opposite function— you’re probably only T by a very small percent.

@Dragon-Snapper
                    YES! *fist-pump* Called it. *huge grin* ENFJs are fun. It’s possible you are extroverted only by a small margin, which would explain your feeling that there aren’t many people like you, as for one, INFJ/ENFJ crosses are pretty rare, (the I stands for Introverted, the E for Extroverted; you’re either one or the other) and two, if you do tend more towards Introversion, you’re right, because INFJs are the rarest type in the world.
                    Does that make any sense at all…

And yes! I talk to objects ALL. THE. TIME. My computer. I’ve named it in my head so I can mutter at it more conveniently. 😛 I talk to just about anything I interact with— pens. Notebooks. Cars. Silverware. Laundry-baskets. You name it, I’ve probably talked to it. My hair, even. XD
                    And music— yessss, precioussss… music makes writing so much easier. I was devastated
                    when I got hearing problems and my ear-doctor told me I couldn’t wear headphones anymore, but I still listen to music when I can, and it really helps.

@Jess
                    *shudder* I would NOT like to be an INTJ full time, no offense. XD

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Kate Flournoy.
                    Corissa Maiden of Praise

@dragon-snapper Just curious, I don’t really understand what you mean when you say you think the test is being generous. Do you mind explaining a little?

And yes on both counts. I even name some of my things- the piano (probably my favorite “thing” 😉 ) is Queen Anne. 😀

And music affects me amazingly. I didn’t realize exactly how much it affected me until one Sunday when I wasn’t really paying attention to what was going on in church (the sermon hadn’t started yet, and I had some things I needed to figure out for later that day) and the music for the special started, and I started singing after the introduction! I stopped myself after a few words, and I was singing very quietly so I don’t think hardly anyone noticed, but it was still embarrassing for me. 😛 😉

Corissa Maiden of Praise

@kate-flournoy Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

I think the test can be different depending on what day you take it too. Some days we have more introvert tendencies than others. Normally I score about 75/25 towards extrovert (give or take a few), but one day I only scored 54/46, so I was barely extrovert. 😛 It can be confusing (and it’s even worse when you’re a writer and frequently have other characters taking over your mind 😉 ).

Corissa Maiden of Praise

*shudder* I would NOT like to be an INTJ full time, no offense. XD

So tell us, @jess, @hope, what is it like to be an INTJ full time? We’s is curious abouts your mindses, preciousss. What quirks or other differences do you think are unique to your personality type?

What about you, @kate-flournoy? Even if you aren’t one, you’ve studied the types pretty closely. Maybe you should share your thoughts first and then Jess and Hope can tell us how right you were. 😉

Kate Flournoy
                          @kate-flournoy

@Corissa-Maiden-of-Praise *pounces on offer with squeal of glee* YES!!!

*ahem* The INTJ. As Introverts, they are more reserved than otherwise, and as iNtuitives they deal in truths and concepts rather than facts and formulas, making them more visionary than practical. As Thinkers they are detached and logical; less people-oriented and more in tune with ideas, and as Judgers they are organized, driven, purposeful, and can be overbearing, especially as their ideas are more visionary in nature and it can be difficult to sell to more practical-minded types, such as ISTJs or ESTJs. Their strength is their iNtuitive Thinking, giving them remarkable clear-sight and problem-solving skills. Their weakness is their under-developed and often shoved-aside Feeling function. INTJs possess emotions, but as emotions do not fit in any logical pattern dealing with them can be difficult, so they find it easier to put them aside. Helpful though this may seem on the surface, it actually undermines their confidence and can lead to insecurity. The INTJ thrives on being able to understand, and what they do not understand they subconsciously fear. Being stuck with emotions they can’t categorize and have no logical way to deal with, they are naturally less confident dealing with them and tend to ignore them until they get too big to manage and break out. INTJs hate emotional break-downs because they can’t be dealt with logically, which hinders their ability to cope with the world around them, and also damages their reputation for cold, impassive objectivity. INTJs are secure in ideas, concepts, debate, and structure, making them less so with people and feelings and emotions, including their own.
                            This type is generally known as the ‘architect’.

Well @Hope, @Jess, how did I do???

Snapper
                            @dragon-snapper
                              • Total Posts: 3515

@corissa-maiden-of-praise I’m doubting I’m actually that extroverted, like what @kate-flournoy said. I know for a fact that I can be very introverted. I guess what I’m mainly getting at is that not much of what an ENFJ is pertains to me. And I’ll admit I didn’t answer all the questions to their full potential. 😀 *guilty smile*

Talking to things particularly happens with my drawings. One time I was drawing a HTTYD picture, and I could not get Hiccup’s nose right/ write. I had a whole conversation with that nose. Somehow, I think it turned out better because of that.

And Kate, great job guessing who I am! And how do you know so much about this?

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Kate Flournoy
                              @kate-flournoy

@Dragon-Snapper well, you might say it’s become a hobby of mine. My type (INFP) is really into psychology and stuff, and we love people and figuring out what makes them tick, so it came naturally to me, I guess. 😀

SleepwalkingMK
                                @sleepwalkingmk
                                  • Total Posts: 179

Oh my word. I am so glad this conversation exists. For one, it made my day (especially the warning for non-writers xD), and second, it is so true. One of my favorite teachers said, “My mind is like a bad neighborhood. I shouldn’t go there alone.” I’m an ENFP with a vivid imagination… and sometimes that isn’t a good thing. @dragon-snapper Thanks for the reminder 🙂
                                  Of course, ENFPism is wonderful in writing characters because we are strange characters ourselves. We like to do a ton of things and we can switch moods so quickly while hiding our real personalities and motives *evil laughter*… any other ENFPs here? On the other hand, my plots usually have more holes than I’d like 😛

I’ve had this weird dream where I was three different people at once (talk about an out-of-body experience :P): a dying person, a person the dying me was talking to, and a person watching all of it from afar. Dying in a dream was strange (maybe because I died of old age; other experiences might have been different). It was like falling asleep (in a dream. Go figure :P)

Read to explore worlds, write to create them.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 327 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >