The Mind of a Writer

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Fiction Writing ā€ŗ General Writing Discussions ā€ŗ The Mind of a Writer

Viewing 12 posts - 316 through 327 (of 327 total)
  • Author
    Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien
      • Total Posts: 440

If so, did you want to punch Ross and did you cheer when Dimelza slapped him after that one episode?

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Snapper
      @dragon-snapper
        • Total Posts: 3515

Well this topic died. šŸ™ 3 monthsā€¦

@graciegirl
        If you and @kate-flournoy want to talk about your MBTI, thatā€™s what most of this topic ended up being about. I know nothing about it, so Iā€™ll just let youā€¦yeah. šŸ˜€
        So, to fire this old thing up again, does anyone ever NOT want to planā€¦or writeā€¦or do anything, and you just procrastinate forever? Like, right now, I have this great idea, and I donā€™t want to plan, I try to write (it didnā€™t work). I just want it to exist. šŸ˜› People say to start from the endingā€¦the problem is that I did, and now I can get to the end.
        *hits submit, hoping that someone will see this* šŸ˜›

ā˜€ ā˜€ ā˜€ ENFP ā˜€ ā˜€ ā˜€

Snapper
        @dragon-snapper

Heh, emojis! I used four! šŸ˜›

SleepwalkingMK
          @sleepwalkingmk
            • Total Posts: 179

@dragon-snapper *helps you perform CPR on discussion*
            I do that too much. Itā€™s like I want my finished novel in front of me without any work. šŸ˜› One way that helps me to bust that feeling is to remind myself why Iā€™m writing in the first place.
            I havenā€™t tried writing the ending first. I think I should, thoughā€¦

So, a few weeks ago, I was at the dinner table, and my dad asked me what I was thinking because I apparently had that ā€œdeep lookā€ on my face. And so I told him. Haha. Oops. I went off on a trail about villainsā€¦and their methodsā€¦ And it didnā€™t really help that I started laughing at the Iā€™m-kind-of-scared expressions on their faces. So yeah. Donā€™t look into the mind of a writer. šŸ˜›

Read to explore worlds, write to create them.

Ethryndal
            @ethryndal
              • Total Posts: 1013

@dragon-snapper Ha! My problem is exactly the opposite. I plan WAY too much, if thatā€™s even possible, and then my stories never end up getting buckled down because I keep changing things. Which is hilarious, because when I first started writing (2 years ago, to be exact) I literally knew NOTHING about writing, period, and didnā€™t plan at all. Needless to say, Iā€™m not editing anymore. Iā€™m rewritingā€¦ :/

@Sleepwalkingmk
              I so get that. My family thinks Iā€™m a complete psychopath because I know the ways of villains a little too wellā€¦ And it doesnā€™t help that some of my favorite literary/film characters are villainsā€¦

*breaks off into a peal of evil cackling*

INTJ āžøYour friendly neighborhood mastermind. āžøhttps://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy
                • Total Posts: 3976

@Dragon-Snapper not usually, but I seem to be in a slump right now and I think itā€™s just because Iā€™m so busy my brain is dead. Iā€™ve been doing a ton of planning but by the time I get around to my writing time my brain is positively numb. *commiserates with you because she has no solution*
                Actually maybe I do have a solution. I have noticed that when I set a pattern of FINISHING what I start and not just starting, itā€™s easier to keep going. Set yourself manageable goals (one paragraph; one page) and check them off one at a time and take a minute to be satisfied at what you accomplished, then keep going.

Snapper
                @dragon-snapper

@sleepwalkingMK We have a heartbeat. šŸ˜€ I wish I could sit at my computer and say ā€˜Let there be words!ā€™

@ethryndal
                  Ewā€¦rewriting. Howā€™s that going for ya? Iā€™m dreading that for when Iā€™m finished editing my hard copyā€¦

@kate-flournoy
                  Not the slump! It must be a national things, because thatā€™s me write now as well. I canā€™t seem to write anything. *somebody tell me to read more books* In the past few months Iā€™ve probably only read two or three books in all. I have no motivation to read any more, though I know that itā€™s crucial to writing. I NEED to try your solution.

Recently, Iā€™ve been in the writing slump, that Kate mentioned. I thought that Iā€™d reached the end of my rope. Of course, I thought that years ago when I wrote my first stories. I reread it a few nights ago, and I realized how much my writing has grown. Trust me when I say itā€™s better. šŸ˜› You all ever read stuff you wrote forever ago?

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy

@Dragon-Snapper READ MORE BOOKS. šŸ˜› Do you like fantasy? Read The Songkeeper Chronicles, by Gillian Bronte Adams. The third book isnā€™t out yet but the first two are awesome. Do you like Saxon culture and coming-of-age? Read The Edge on the Sword, by Rebecca Tingle. Do you like medieval stories? The Red Keep and Rolf and the Viking Bow, both by Allen French. Also Dove in the Eagleā€™s Nest, by Charlotte M. Younge if you can find it; itā€™s really old. šŸ˜›

Snapper
                    @dragon-snapper

@kate-flournoy šŸ˜› Thanks, Iā€™ll have to look into those.

Ethryndal
                      @ethryndal
                        • Total Posts: 1013

@dragon-snapper Well, if itā€™s any comfort, I doubt youā€™ll have to do as much rewriting as me. My rewriting entails the entire book. Literally. If it werenā€™t so sad, it actually be kind of funny. But I hate rewriting, so itā€™s NOT FUNNY. At all. *gnashes teeth and tears out hair*

Carry on. šŸ˜€

INTJ āžøYour friendly neighborhood mastermind. āžøhttps://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Snapper
                        @dragon-snapper

@ethryndal *doesnā€™t laugh* There, there. Itā€™ll be alright. We writers make sacrificeses for the world, doesnā€™t we, precious?

Kate Flournoy
                          @kate-flournoy

@Ethryndal *gives you moral support and commiseration* I had to rewrite my entire WIP as well. It seemed impossible at the start, but now Iā€™m almost done and though it still makes me want to tear my hair out sometimes itā€™s really not so bad. It gets better, dear. It does. We promises. šŸ˜‰

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >