The Last Jedi

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Film The Last Jedi

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Ben Powell
    @supermonkey42
      • Total Posts: 273

@introvert_girl Hmm… that’s an interesting theory. It makes sense. When Kylo Ren is more in his “Ben Solo” mood, he’s actually fairly likable.

@itisastarrynight
      That’s interesting, because my favorite part (besides the boy at the end) was when Luke faced off Kylo Ren (as a Force ghost.) I thought Snoke was killed way too easily and that there should have been a lot more tension between Rey and Kylo after he was killed.

Overall, I think Rian Johnson was going for a different type of Star Wars movie. He replaced countless battles with a more subtle, internal conflict, and for the most part I think it worked well.

A Kapeefer for life!
      Compendium of KP Literature: kapeeferliterature.wordpress.com

itisastarrynight
      @itisastarrynight
        • Total Posts: 134

@supermonker42 That’s cool. I think he did do a fine job. It all felt very star wars-y while also focusing enough on the characters.

I can't believe it's not butter!

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 95

FINALLY!! (gives a triumphant shout)I should have come hunting for this sooner! I have been dying to talk to someone(s) who understand characters the way I do. or even care about the characters of a movie. You know you’re a writer when the characters are your favorite part (my siblings don’t understand me).

Anywho, I was fairly pleased with the movie myself. I really liked the fight between Ren and Rey especially the lightsaber tug a force. I thought the battle at the end was cool too.

However, I felt that Finn has really become a third wheel type now. I mean his idea and plot were interesting but he feels like the od ball…WAIT aren’t most of us writers the oddballs or always have it hard? (@sam-kowal s Christmas story) I feel like an oddball especially in a family of mathematicians and engineers. that’s beside the point the really hard thing for me though was the death of Luke Skywalker.

My parents first brought me to the galaxy far far away when I was eight and somehow I got it into my head that I was Luke’s sidekick girlfriend. It stuck for a few years and then I eventually moved on to become Captain America’s girlfriend. (Yes, I’ve  been in love with  more fictional guys more than real ones). I was actually crying at the end. When I got back to my car I started sobbing and my siblings thought I was emotionally unstable to drive. they said it was just shocking but as any character, loving writer will know it was a deeper pain.

Another thought is I agree with those who feel that Rose is an extra. I really like how Poe fought and became kinda the hero.

so, in the long, i loved the movie, thought it was great that Disney did so well, loved the action but will forever remain a heartbroken person. One does not simply ignore the death of Luke Skywalker.

Ben Powell
          @supermonkey42

Let us all have a moment of silence for Luke Skywalker…

A Kapeefer for life!

Anonymous
              • Total Posts: 95

I’m trying to make a new thread and can’t remember how. help me Keeprers you’re my only hope.

Ben Powell
              @supermonkey42

@inkling-for-christ You just click of the “forum” button at the top of the page and navigate to the category you want to post the thread in, and then click “Create new topic” at the top of the category’s page. It’ll give you a text box to write the first post in.

(Luke in The Last Jedi: “It was a cheap trick.”) 😉

A Kapeefer for life!

Sam Kowal
                @sam-kowal
                  • Total Posts: 635

@dekreel @his-instrument @supermonkey42 @inkling-for-christ @itisastarrynight

😀 I finally can join this topic

I saw it, and I thought it was incredible! It’s definitely one of my favorite Star Wars now.

(Full Spoilers)

I really can’t decide about Kylo. He sort of had his chance to join Rey, but he also could grow over the course of the next movie and change his mind. That scene in Snoke’s throne room, though! It was incredible. I felt as though Snoke dies too easily, but besides that… it was really awesomely amazing. There was so much tension, and intensity… definitely one of my favorite scenes from any Star Wars.

Also, the Rey/Kylo scenes/ conflict were my favorite part of the film. There is so much conflict, and yet also sympathy, between them, it makes a super engaging storyline.

I really hope Rey and Kylo don’t get together though. They have a really interesting relationship right now, I think it would ruin it if a love plot line was forced in there

Finn… I think, if he falls for either, it will be Rose. He’s obviously really close to Rey, but I can more picture him falling in LOVE with Rose. Although I like @supermonkey42 ‘s idea that he will sacrifice himself… I too was annoyed at Rose for crashing him, but I was also really relieved… I wasn’t ready for Finn to go yet 🙁

Also, other points)

The visual of the film were SO amazing! The animals like the porgs and the crystal critters and the giant goat thingies were all amazing, because they were funny without being annoying *cough* Ewoks *cough*

And the space battles were AMAZING. And Snoke’s ship, and everything

The film felt really original to me, too. Which is funny, cause it really wasn’t THAT original- we still had Rey leaving the other characters to go train (Luke and Yoda in ESB), the Rebels fleeing from a fleet of enemy ships (Also ESB), the conflict with Snoke, Rey, and Kylo in the throne room (Luke, Vader, and the emperor in RotJ), but it still felt fresh to me, I think because the characters were handled really well.

Overall, the characters were my favorite part of the movie.

I mean, Poe was amazing 😀

And Rey/Kylo were amazing

And Finn was amazing (Rose was… sorta amazing)

And Leia… I REALLY liked her. And I’m really sad about what is going to have to happen

And Luke. I’ve saved him for last.

Seeing himself as a failure, going into hiding, cutting himself off from the force… not wanting to train Rey, and his avatar projections… all of it was really engaging to me. I’ve been waiting for SO long to see his older character, and it didn’t disappoint me. I was really sad, though 🙁

In a way, I think Luke was the Last Jedi

Of course, there is Rey, and the children with the force, and everything… but I feel like Rey may become something else. Maybe she’ll join Kylo, and leave the Jedi behind. Luke, to me, was the Last Jedi. The film has a strong theme about letting past things die- and I think the Jedi might be one of those things.

Also, Rey’s parents just being random junk dealers… super great, for me. Everyone was suspecting her to be a Kenobi, or even a Skywalker, or something… that twist was wonderful. You don’t have to come from a legendary family line to be something great, you can achieve things even if you come from nothing

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
                  Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

Sam Kowal
                  @sam-kowal

Wow, that was a long post. XD XD

I guess I really did like The Last Jedi

Alia
                    @alia
                      • Total Posts: 1253

@there-are-way-to-many-tags-to-remember…

I can join!

I have mixed feelings about this movie. for one, this director took a very different approach to Rey than J. J. Abrams. not sure if I like it

Super glad that there was no romance between Kylo Ren and Rey, even though it seemed inevitable.

Kinda wish Rey had joined the dark side, that would have made for an interesting twist.

Annoyed that as of now Rey’s heritage is as it was said in the movie, even though Abrams was setting up something completely different in episode 7.

Finn, or FN-2199, seemed a bit bland this episode. In episode 7 he had a great character and brought a lot to the movie. This one, not so much, which really disappointed me.

Rose…did there have to be a romance? Seriously, that was the only reason her character was there.

Glad there was more about Poe this movie, and I still hold to the belief that he has some use of the force.

Leia…IS NOT STRONG ENOUGH IN THE FORCE TO PULL HERSELF INTO THE SHIP AGAIN!!! that takes an incredible amount of power, which she never learned how to control. obviously they never read the not canon but still canon in everyone’s mind books.

Luke was impressive, liked his ending.

now onto the plot, or lack of since it was a complete character development movie

the island Rey found Luke on…Degobah…100% Degobah. seriously, the dark hole? its like they weren’t even trying

the salt planet…everything about it screamed Hoth. the fortress looked the same from the outside. But no, its completely different because they made it clear it was salt, not snow and ice.

the get away, again, Hoth.

the chase scene, throughout the whole movie. and then ending, with another chase…

overall I would say it was a good movie, but there was just so much copying. it was annoying. Did they think we wouldn’t notice?

WIP - Decisions
                      Kapeefer til we're old and grey

Alia
                      @alia

oh, I forgot Phasma. I love the fact that in the end we got to see her eye. because that was pretty crucial for Finn’s development. just think, he was willing to kill her right h=there, until he saw her eyes, loved that subtle character development

WIP - Decisions

Alia
                        @alia

@sam-kowal, interesting that you didn’t think it was a copy of the other ones. the entire movie my sister and I were holding up fingers showing which episode they were copying in our minds.

WIP - Decisions

Ben Powell
                          @supermonkey42

@sam-kowal Luke was just amazing. I could watch an entire movie of Luke doing his everyday life, and I would find it fascinating.

@alia
                            Well, actually, J. J. Abrams kind of hinted that Rey’s parents weren’t important, and Daisy Ridley said she thought it was obvious after TFA.

Yeah, I agree that Finn was a bit boring. Oh, and Finn’s number was FN-2187. On a side note, in the original Star Wars (A New Hope), the prison cell Leia was held in on the Death Star was also number 2187. (Can you tell I’m a bit obsessed with Star Wars?) 🙂

Yes… Leia did not have that much Force power in the old Expanded Universe. I haven’t read enough of the new books to know how powerful she becomes in the canon. Maybe enough people will ask Pablo Hidalgo and he’ll give us a reasonable explanation.

A Kapeefer for life!

Sam Kowal
                            @sam-kowal

@alia Well, you’re right, a lot of it was a copy… but for some reason they played it in a way that seemed fresh to me. Although, I will say, the characters were definitely a stronger point than the plot

I think it would have been great for Rey to turn to the dark side, too 😀

That moment when Kylo says “Let’s leave everything behind. Snoke, the Resistance, etc,.. I was holding my breath so tight

@supermonkey42
                              Luke was awesome :D. The blue milk was a funny touch, too XD. I would love to see a more in-depth telling of the time when he ran the Jedi school and was teaching Ben (Solo)… but of course Mark Hamill’s mostly too old for that now.

I do wonder how Episode 9’s gonna fare without Luke, or Han, or Leia. The new characters are great, but it’s going to be sad without any of the original ones. And plus, they’ll have to explain Leia’s disappearance somehow…

TheAcornman
                              @theacornman
                                • Total Posts: 125

I loved it too. One of my favourites alongside Rogue One. Kylo Ren has to be my favourite villain of all time. I was pleasantly surprised.

That one English guy.

itisastarrynight
                                @itisastarrynight
                                  • Total Posts: 134

@sam-kowal Well put.

I can't believe it's not butter!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >