The Itsy Bitsy Spider is Shelob

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions The Itsy Bitsy Spider is Shelob

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Snapper
    @dragon-snapper
      • Total Posts: 3515

Dragon Snapper has a problem.
      Haha. *deadpan stare* Yes, I know. I melt chairs, and that’s a problem.
      Sorry not sorry.
      But in a more material sense, I have a problem with my book.
      You see, I’m almost done. I’m so close…soooo close. Seriously, I can’t wait to finish it. But! I has problem. Not with plot. Not with climax. But simply, syntax.
      I has observed that my writing is constantly in a state of flux. It changes from one kind of style to the next rapidly. I’ll sit down in one writing session, write a great chapter about a character in his sarcastic style, then come back a few days later to add another one of his chapters, and it’s dry and boring.
      The problem, I find, is growing. I can’t seem to keep my style as a cohesive, sticking to, well, Dragon Snapper’s style. Every writing session seems to have a different style.
      Suggestions as to how I can squish Shelob?

@kate-flournoy
      @daeus @shannon @emily @ethryndal @belegteleri @that_writer_girl_99 @winter-rose @catwing @salome01w4g

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Ethryndal
      @ethryndal
        • Total Posts: 1013

When you figure out the answer, please notify me. I would like to know too.

In other words, I have no idea. Shelob is the worst. *headdesk*

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Hannah
        @salome01w4g
          • Total Posts: 991

@dragon-snapper

I have the same problem and have not mastered it… yet… I find for me anyway, it has to do with my mood. Try writing in the same environment as much as possible, for me it’s dark, quite, with some kind of epic study music.
          Hope that helps!

~I don’t know what I’m doing~

Tatiana
          @belegteleri
            • Total Posts: 97

Maybe it has to do with your mood? Because I know in my case, my writing style can change if my mood is different from the last time that I sat down to write.

Hannah
            @salome01w4g
              • Total Posts: 991

@belegteleri seems we had the same idea at the same time! 😀 😉 😛

~I don’t know what I’m doing~

Tatiana
              @belegteleri
                • Total Posts: 97

@salome01w4g I noticed! Maybe we’re on to something!

Snapper
                @dragon-snapper

@daeus Oh, and if you reply to this, please do not mention anything you might have observed from reading my book unless its through email. I haven’t told anyone on KP except you about the book and I don’t want to spoil anything for them.
                  Thanks! 😛

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Snapper.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Anonymous
                    • Total Posts: 859

Hey @dragon-snapper, I don’t think I can help you much….unfortunately. Happy writing!

revayah1
                    @revayah1
                      • Total Posts: 15

Hi @dragon-snapper, sticking to the same style is something I’ve heard that young writers (including myself) can have trouble with figuring out (since we’re moody maybe? lol idk). I don’t know if this would help, but try reading a book with a similar style that you want your book to have, and then sit down to write? Also trying to pin down what style and mood your particular setting and characters should have might help.

Daeus
                      @daeus
                        • Total Posts: 4238

@dragon-snapper I can see that a bit, but it didn’t really pop out at me. I think overall you have a pretty consistent writing style. I believe that if you work on just generally improving your style and edit your book a few times, the problem will disappear.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Anonymous
                          • Total Posts: 1330

@dragon-snapper For me, if my style of writing tends to fluctuate, it helps for me if I read back over previous chapters and then like @salome01w4g said, try to place yourself in similar circumstances. I hope this might help a little. I am tired so I might not be making much sense 😜

NC Stokes
                          @daughteroftheking
                            • Total Posts: 1156

@dragon-snapper The title of this forum made my day. Anyhoo, I have the same problem. I figure most of it is due to mood. But I often have deadlines, so I can’t wait for the perfect mood to strike every time. What I try to do is notice what I’m doing when I’m on an unstoppable writing mood. What inspires me? Is it the music I’m listening to, or a book I just read? Do more of that. Do I get the best ideas staring out the window at birds (becouse birds are cool!), or forcing myself to look at my computer? I’ve found that if I agonize over how my sentence should go, it doesn’t come out quite right. If I just do it, my best ideas come out as I type. It’s probably not the same for everyone, but my point is, be aware of what you’re doing when you’re in a good writing mood. You can’t force yourself to be in the perfect mood every time, but you can figure out what helps. I’m probably just reiterating what other people have said, but… yeah. Hope that helps!

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Snapper
                            @dragon-snapper

@salome01w4g @belegteleri Mood…and stuff. I suppose that might affect things.

@daughteroftheking
                              True. Forcing myself to write…to be perfect in writing, never worked.

@ethryndal
                              *headdesks with you*

@revayah1
                              *stomps around the room like a dragon, pretending to be moody* You know, what you said it actually quite interesting, because whatever book I read before writing, my writing always seems like that style….interesting.

@daeus
                              Really? Oh, well that’s good. XD Because the first half of my book, at least, the first ten chapters, were really rough. *shudder* At least it wasn’t neon to you.
                              *looks at book* Disappear problems! Be perfect already! *nothing happens* *sigh*
                              @emily Worry not. You make sense to me. 🙂

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Anonymous
                                • Total Posts: 859

Well I’m glad Emily makes sense to someone, @dragon-snapper!

Anonymous
                                  • Total Posts: 1330

@dragon-snapper Oh, good. I was exhausted last night because I had just gotten back from a flight to Rockport dropping off some stuff for the people who the hurricane hit. My brother is teaching me how to fly. 😊 If it weren’t for that I would have probably had some better ideas. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >