The Hobbit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    BlueJay
    @bluejay
      • Total Posts: 1622

@graciekry @his-instrument @jess @clairec @the-happy-bookaholic @dragon-snapper @timothy-young @warrioroftherealm @winter-rose @ingridrd @aysia-serene @adry_grace @daeus @belegteleri @hope @overcomer @vanna @faithdk @kate-flournoy @jadamae @hislittlerose @hannah-krynicki @writefury @hannah-olsen @dbhgodreigns @wordfitlyspoken @hannah-c @spradlin @ivy-rose @rolena-hatfield @anne-swiftblade

Hi guys,
      Today is the day….*realize that I’ve not read to first two chapters. Pauses writing this to read them.* *runs back* puff, puff. *oh boy! this is hard. so bear with me as I try to get the topic going.*
      I love how he starts his book. A single sentence that hooks me. Who else likes that?
      Also what I notice was that he introduced Gandalf without telling us much about him, and let Bilbo do that for us.
      *submits so other people can start talking too*

Hannah A. Krynicki
      @hannah-krynicki
        • Total Posts: 81

@bluejay The most famous opening line ever! Well, not really, but it’s up there on the most popular opening lines lists.

Good points about introducing characters. Obviously Bilbo and the hobbits needed a lot of introduction, but Tolkien did it without boring us- probably by only answering the questions that we had already asked ourselves (ie, what is a hobbit?). Likewise, the lack of introduction for Gandalf adds to the overall mystery surrounding Gandalf’s character; we want to know about this suspicious wizard. (In fact, it’s only in the Silmarillion that Tolkien actually explains what he is.)

I’d also like to point out that these chapters are some of the funniest Tolkien ever wrote. Character humor- like Gandalf’s cynicism and Bilbo’s flusteriness- and situational humor- like the dwarves turning up and the trolls’ argument- add to the story, but mix in some lightheartedness to an otherwise-dark tale.

That does it for my opening statement…

Mallory O’Bier
        @overcomer
          • Total Posts: 550

I love the opening too! Really the whole first paragraph is pure gold, but the first sentence hooked me. I’m pretty sure I held my breath when I read it the first time and every time since. I knew then and there that it was time to get comfy and settle in for a good story. (And I was prejudiced against it because I didn’t know what on earth a Hobbit was. Why do they put a dragon on the cover? I mean, I get why, but it’s very confusing if you’ve never seen a Hobbit before. Anyway, all prejudice melted away in an instant after reading that immortal sentence.) 😉

Jess
          @jess
            • Total Posts: 575

Did anyone else like the sound Bilbo’s door bell makes? “ding-dong-a-ling-dang” (The most philosophical question ever) I love the whole older MC thing. It seems like all the books these days have teenage characters, but even though Bilbo is 50, the story is still a hit with all ages.

Snapper
            @dragon-snapper
              • Total Posts: 3515

I love how Tolkien refers to the reader as if he’s actually telling us a story. I also noted how he names some of his places very obvious names: The Hill, The Water, Misty Mountains…
              It made me laugh how Tolkien mentioned that Baggins had his toes ‘neatly brushed’. 😀

@bluejay
              , you’re fine…in all fairness, I’ve not had time to do that much reading at all either. Working on it!

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Jada Morrison
              @jadamae
                • Total Posts: 199

I finally got around to reading the first two chapters. It takes so much longer when you are trying to notice writing techniques! So here are some of my thoughts…
                -There was a really good inciting event. Really sets up the book well.
                -There is such good description! You can get a good feel for what he is describing without getting bogged down in too many details. He very nicely mixed in hints about Bilbo/hobbits-in-general character while describing the setting.
                -Really good narrator voice, very entertaining. Almost dry humor and seemingly absent-minded in places.
                So there’s some of what I though!

BlueJay
                @bluejay

Sorry guys. I’m being terribly slack. So we should be on the next two chapters. So I need a suggestion.
                  Does we…
                  1. Just do two chapters a week and plow our way through it?
                  Or…
                  2.Do we have a week in between for reading the next two chapters?

People, it’s up to you. @graciekry @his-instrument @jess @clairec @the-happy-bookaholic @dragon-snapper @timothy-young @warrioroftherealm @winter-rose @ingridrd @aysia-serene @adry_grace @daeus @belegteleri @hope @overcomer @vanna @faithdk @kate-flournoy @jadamae @hislittlerose @hannah-krynicki @writefury @hannah-olsen @dbhgodreigns @wordfitlyspoken @hannah-c @spradlin @ivy-rose @rolena-hatfield @anne-swiftblade
                  (I’m sorry if I’ve tagged you and you aren’t doing the Hobbit. Just ignore it.) 🙂

Hannah A. Krynicki
                  @hannah-krynicki

@bluejay I vote we leave a week in between for reading the chapters. I think school starting again really threw everyone a curveball, and we should slow down a little until schedules get back on track.

BlueJay
                    @bluejay

@graciekry @his-instrument @jess @clairec @the-happy-bookaholic @dragon-snapper @timothy-young @warrioroftherealm @winter-rose @ingridrd @aysia-serene @adry_grace @daeus @belegteleri @hope @overcomer @vanna @faithdk @kate-flournoy @jadamae @hislittlerose @hannah-krynicki @writefury @hannah-olsen @dbhgodreigns @wordfitlyspoken @hannah-c @spradlin @ivy-rose @rolena-hatfield @anne-swiftblade
                      Alright I think that’s a good idea. (No school for me, so I definitely have more time than most people)
                      So we will use this week to read the next two chapters (3 & 4) And I hope this doesn’t confuse people too much but I’d like to change when the week ends. For you guys it’s a Thursday and for me it’s a Friday. I’d like to make it that we start a new week over the weekend if that suits. So your Saturday, my Sunday. Will that be alright? (I might remember when things end then.)
                      So read the next two chapters and we start back on the 24th/25th. 🙂 🙂 🙂
                      See you all then. (except the people who have pulled out) 🙂 😉

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by BlueJay.
                      Hannah A. Krynicki
                      @hannah-krynicki

@bluejay So the new deadline is the weekend? Sounds like a plan.

BlueJay
                        @bluejay

So guys, the next two chapters. 3 & 4. When I was reading through this my first time, I almost lost interest. I’m still unsure why. Did anyone else have that problem?

BlueJay
                          @bluejay
                            Sarah Spradlin
                            @spradlin
                              • Total Posts: 189

Hey, girl! @bluejay I will not be able to do this book this go around. The semester has been crazy busy! I do hope to jump in on the next one though. 😉

"When enemies attack your kingdom you don't flee you show them why it's your kingdom. With your lightsaber."

Graciekry
                              @graciekry
                                • Total Posts: 4

@bluejay I really need to go onto these forums more often, because I completely missed this topic! The Hobbit is definitely one of my very favorite books. Anywho, about the third and fourth chapters: “A Short Rest” and “Over Hill and Under Hill”. The first time that I read this book I also had a really difficult time focusing during these chapters. I think that the reason is because Tolkien spent a really long time in chapters 3 and 4 discussing characters that did not have much to do for the rest of the book (especially in chapter 3; Elrond and the elves, for example) and put in a lot of things that don’t mean much to anyone until they read LotR, like Rivendell/The Last Homely House and all of the poems (which is very strange, since when he wrote The Hobbit he had no plan of writing a sequel). For whatever reason, I didn’t really understand or care for these chapters until I watched the movie. As much as I disapprove of the first of the trilogy, (that’s a different discussion, of course) the book made a lot more sense after I watched it. This might be due to the fact that I was pretty young the first time I read it, and had not re-read it before watching “An Unexpected Journey”, thus I had forgotten a good bit of it. But back to the chapters, (sorry, I got off topic) they’re still pretty good and fit in the theme, plot, and style of the rest of the book.

I’m pretty sure that counts as a rant, sorry about that. I just think a lot about this. 🙂

Mallory O’Bier
                                @overcomer
                                  • Total Posts: 550

I love the songs! They help create a much more lighthearted atmosphere than you get from The Lord of the Rings. You can tell he wrote this books with kids in mind. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >