The extra mile

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Jane Maree
    @jane-maree
      • Total Posts: 909

@Daeus YES DO. XD Nadine is honestly just the bestest. *nods*

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

NC Stokes
      @daughteroftheking
        • Total Posts: 1156

Um, let’s see. *stares off into space for a moment* If a were a fan (which I am), what would I want… To beg the author not to kill off the best characters! Bad idea. The best ones are the funnest to kill. *demented grin*
        I think it’s super cool when authors encourage fan art. Post it on their blog, give honest compliments, that sort of thing. And posting deleted scenes from your book would be cool, too. Perhaps even dressing up as a character for book signings…

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

katie
        @lifeofkatie
          • Total Posts: 137

@daeus – What a great question to think about.

I think going the extra mile for me, whether in writing or just life in general, is like some others have said, building relationships with my “readers” or clients. People enjoy feeling “special” or like they’re privileged as being apart of something. So, for me, I enjoy spending time communicating with the people who read my blog, buy my product, follow my social media. It builds relationships and gives me more opportunity to bless others and share Christ with them. One of my favorite verses that kind of relates to this topic is from Philippians 2:4: “Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.” It helps me to look at the things I do as not just building myself up, but using the tools God has given me to encourage and give to others. 🙂

Gracie
          @graciegirl
            • Total Posts: 889

@Daeus Yeah, echoing Kate here: this has really got me thinking….Hmm.

Beyond what anyone else has said…I can’t think of anything. XD I believe that connecting and making a continual effort to stay connected with readers would be a HUGE way to go the extra mile. All the ways the others have mentioned sound great. *thumbs up*
            Of course, like you said with the prayer requests thingy, this isn’t necessarily going to be easy if you have tens of thousands of readers, but I think it’s an awesome option if you can swing it.
            And really, connecting with a large group of readers has never been easier. What with social media, which for better or worse is probably the only largely effective way to implement all of these ideas.
            So, yeah. Basically everything they already said. 😛

*is probably geeking out about something*

Daeus
            @daeus
              • Total Posts: 4238

Great ideas, @kate-flournoy. Physical mail would be awesome to get as a reader. The only problem is getting addresses and non-continental shipping.

Alright, @aratrea! This is an official petition that I be allowed to interview Nadine a second time.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Daeus
              @daeus

@lifeofkatie @graciegirl

The theme I’m generally getting here is that we need to treat our reader’s with a servant’s heart. I went ahead and wrote on a piece of paper: “I exist to be a servant to my readers as Christ served the apostles,” then hung it up on my wall. Hopefully I’ll actually follow that principle. 😉

One thing I thought of that I actually have done in this area is to try to make my emails enjoyable to read. People expect at best that your emails will provide helpful content, but they don’t anticipate emails with content presented in an artistic way.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                @kate-flournoy
                  • Total Posts: 3976

@Daeus oh yeah… didn’t think of the address or shipping bit. Hm.
                  And YES. About the emails— totally. And you’ve succeeded; I love it when I get one of your official emails because it’s usually hilarious. *grins*

Daeus
                  @daeus

@kate-flournoy Excellent. 😀

One option actually would be to do ecards.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy
                      Emma Flournoy
                      @emma-flournoy
                        • Total Posts: 1352

Music for the mood.

That conference talk was great.

I can’t really think of anything more specific than what everyone else said. The biggest thing I think would be the ‘feeling important’ thing; feeling like you’re not just a slot to fill but that the author really cares. And they remember you and things about you. All that awesome connection stuff that the author likely has to work hard on but is SO gratifying to the reader. And the writer too, I’d imagine. It’d sure make for more avid fans. 😀

If we’re talking about already dedicated fans… *wrinkles nose* I have no broad experience here, but it seems like they would appreciate behind-the-scenes looks at their favorite characters, or short stories from backstory, or interviews with the author where they could ask questions about their favorite things or pieces they’re curious about.

AND OBVIOUSLY YES TO THAT ALWAYS OF COURSE.

katie
                        @lifeofkatie

@daeus – What you wrote on your piece of paper is great! 🙂 Little reminders like that help me so much.

Yes, I like your point about your emails! They are always enjoyable to read. Keep it up! 😉

Gracie
                          @graciegirl
                            • Total Posts: 889

@Daeus
                            Geez Lousie that’s a good idea. (About the note on the wall reminder thingy.) 😃
                            I may need to do somethin’ similar once I start getting readers.
                            And yes, emails are so awesome when they’re fun to read!

*is probably geeking out about something*

Kate Flournoy
                            @kate-flournoy

@LifeofKatie @GracieGirl so is no one seriously going to mention that you guys are apparently twins??? Hello? LOOK AT YOUR PICTURES. THEY’RE IDENTICAL. 😛

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Kate Flournoy.
                              katie
                              @lifeofkatie

Ha! @kate-flournoy – Gosh, that’s hilarious! So true 😛 Haha…well, thanks for pointing that out and helping me to find my long lost twin, @graciegirl!!

Elizabeth
                                @that_writer_girl_99
                                  • Total Posts: 1819

*chokes* Kate is right. The resemblance is uncanny…

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >