The extra mile

Home Page β€Ί Forums β€Ί Fiction Writing β€Ί General Writing Discussions β€Ί The extra mile

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Daeus
    @daeus
      • Total Posts: 4238

So folks, let’s see how inventive you are.

I was just at a conference and, in one of the talks, a guy said that whatever you do, you should practice the principle of going the extra mile.

I immediately thought of writing. Immediately after that, I was stumped. How does one go the extra mile in writing?

What people expect is a good story, a good cover, and good formatting and editing. If you fulfill that, I would normally think that you’ve done all you can do. But is there a way to go above and beyond even that? If there is, I want to know about it!

I only thought of one example where I’ve seen this done. I happened to notice that Nadine Brandes asked on her Facebook page if any of her readers had anything she could pray for. That’s really impressive. At the same time, it wouldn’t work for everybody. For instance, if you had 10,000 readers, you might more get prayer requests than you could handle.

This is a thread for us to brainstorm any idea for how to go above and beyond that we can possibly think of.

Ready.
      Set.
      Go!

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Catwing
      @catwing
        • Total Posts: 2557

@daeus
        *cartwheels through the air* I’m first! Yippee!
        The first thing that popped into my head was add more suspense… But my friends have already said, β€œNO MORE SUSPENSE!!!” [At least for this current book]
        Anyway…
        An extra mile that doesn’t kill your readers. πŸ€”
        Maybe if you have a moral/lesson to your story. Or something that touches people. Something that will change them.
        From the Incredibles…
        β€œWhat are you waiting for?”
        β€œSomething amazing I guess.”
        Something amazing!
        Did you mean outside of the book?
        I’ll think on that. Thanks. 🐱

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

Daeus
        @daeus

@dragon-snapper @kate-flournoy @emma-flournoy @winter-rose @graciegirl @daughteroftheking @that_writer_girl_99 @audrey-caylin @hope @jane-maree

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Daeus
          @daeus

@catwing Well, I think what you have inside of the book is certainly part of it. If you write a book that blows people away, then you’ve gone above and beyond what they expected. I’m more interested in things besides your story though. No book can blow every reader away. We need other lines of defense.

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Elizabeth
            @that_writer_girl_99
              • Total Posts: 1819

I’d say theme has a lot to do with it. Reading a good book is one thing, but putting down a good book and having something to think about, that’s the extra mile for me. It’s something I strive to do, and enjoy reading even more. @daeus

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Catwing
              @catwing

*raises paw with extended claws* Come on fellow Catwings! We must defend the against readers unimpressed by books!
                🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱 Marrth! Meeett! [For food! For books!]

@daeus
                Is this enough Catwings? Wait. That isn’t what you meant is it? Umm… You can all go home.
                🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱 Maaaarrtthhh! [To home and food!] *leaves*
                How about a blog? (I have one, but I haven’t really done writing on it… Yet.) You could do something like post insperation? I did see your video. Maybe you could do something with videos?
                *thinking…*

Daeus
                @daeus

@catwing That’s true. A blog can give people extra value.

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Daeus
                  @daeus

Then too, your blog posts should be above and beyond what people expect.

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Catwing
                    @catwing

@daeus
                      Hmmm… After this whole moving ordeal I think I’ll do more with my blog. *inspired*
                      Wait, give people extra value? But, the constitution!
                      Randomness was contained below after a brainstorm. May or may not be helpful…
                      billboards
                      T-shirts
                      Media posts
                      Travel
                      Book signings

Maybe that will give you ideas.

Catwing
                      @catwing

@daeus Have you seen Skit Guys? Brainstorming for this has for some reason reminded me of their β€˜bad ways to witness’ video…
                        β€œGod, please send someone my way so I can witness to them.”
                        *Walks in*
                        *punchs other guy*
                        *falls down*
                        *holds up paper then drops it on other guy.* β€œJesus loves you.” *walks off*

*grins and shakes head* don’t do that though.

Daeus
                        @daeus

@catwing Book signings add value.

I actually just watched the Skit Guys for the first time. I think the one I watched was called β€œmommy goggles”.

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Jane Maree
                          @jane-maree
                            • Total Posts: 909

@Daeus I think that your original comment about Nadine is a very very good example. Your readers are a huge impact on whether your book is successful (obviously) so you need to treat them as real people and be their best friend.
                            Nadine is honestly such an amazing above-and-beyond-er. She asks her street team/ninja’s birthdays when they join so she can say happy birthday to them. She sends replies to fan mail. She fangirls. She sends out personal notes with her giveaway prizes. She knows every one of her ninjas by name. For example – I’m not on facebook, so I don’t get much interaction with the other ninjas, but she still recognises my name.
                            A month ago, I asked some online friends to say hi to her when they saw her at a conference (OYAN summer workshop). MOST authors would go β€œahh thanks” some would say β€œsay hi to her from me” but Nadine filmed a short video for me. She took the time to video a short clip of saying hi to me, and saying how much she wished I could come one year so we could fangirl and hang out together. And that made my day. I watched it over and over again because honestly it was so cool.
                            The actual book does matter, but the readers/fanbase/minions are a massive part of it, and Nadine is a very good example to copy off, I think.

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Daeus
                            @daeus

@jane-maree OK, we obviously need to do another interview of Nadine.

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Hannah R.
                              @his-instrument
                                • Total Posts: 229

@daeus I discovered that for me, sometimes β€œgo the extra mile” means β€œwork extra hard to make sure my writing is the best it can possibly be.” To take the extra time to do another edit. To study more about craft. To be willing to learn. That’s really hard for me, because I don’t like to work on one project for very long. πŸ™‚ But it’s been so worth it!

YA Fantasy Writer
                                Obsessive Character Namer
                                Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Kate Flournoy
                                @kate-flournoy
                                  • Total Posts: 3976

@Daeus for others directly… I think oftentimes it just surprises people when you remember them personally in a sea of other voices. Initiating contact instead of just responding, reviving an old joke, or maybe even remembering their birthday and surprising them. (*gulp* I barely remember my own… πŸ˜› ) In other words letting them know that they’re not just a quota for you to fill, but actually made an impression on your life that you value enough to develop.
                                  If we’re talking about already dedicated fans… *wrinkles nose* I have no broad experience here, but it seems like they would appreciate behind-the-scenes looks at their favorite characters, or short stories from backstory, or interviews with the author where they could ask questions about their favorite things or pieces they’re curious about.
                                  Another idea… actual mail? Just a postcard thanking them for their support after a certain number of purchases or something like that. It’s one more thing for you to keep track of, but that’s going the extra mile, isn’t it? πŸ˜›

This is a good question. It really got me thinking.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >