"The Canterbury Tales…" and Other Stuff by Chaucer

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions "The Canterbury Tales…" and Other Stuff by Chaucer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Joy
    @dekreel
      • Total Posts: 2304

Seriously?! Chaucer is among the most beloved and most fascinating writers of all time, and no one has made a topic about him?!

So far, I have only read the Knight’s Tale (a story from The Canterbury Tales) for school, but I have to admit, it is an amazing poem. It’s so full of depth and truth for the Middle Ages. It’s one of the best things I have ever read, despite it being hard to follow

My favorite part of the Knight’s Tale is where Arcite and Palamon see Emily for the first time. I love that part because it’s SO fascinating seeing how they change and don’t change when they first lay eyes on her. It’s BEAUTIFUL.

Also, I have (more or less) memorized the first eighteen lines of the prologue of The Canterbury Tales in Middle English!! I looked up the pronunciation on YouTube. It’s really fun to say 😀

Has anyone else ever read the Knight’s Tale, or ANY of Chaucer’s poetry? What do you think of him?

@daeus
        @dragon-snapper  @kate-flournoy  @jenwriter17  @inkling-for-christ  @rochellaine  @anyone

You can pronounce it however you want.

NC Stokes
      @daughteroftheking
        • Total Posts: 1156

@dekreel I read some of the Canterbury Tales for school last semester. The highlight of literature reading this year! It had great rhythm, and I found myself tapping my foot along to the poetry.

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

SleepwalkingMK
        @sleepwalkingmk
          • Total Posts: 179

Oooo, Chaucer is an interesting subject though. Because people only read some of the stories in the Canterbury Tales for a reason (please *no one* read it without a guide/syllabus/some parts sectioned out. Just please be very careful when reading the book.)

Anyways, I’ve read the Knight’s tale, the Wife of Bath’s tale, the Clerk’s tale, and the Nun’s Priest’s tale as part of a class. I’d really recommend the Nun’s Priest’s tale. It was my favorite, and it’s a satire with animals as characters.

Read to explore worlds, write to create them.

Jenna Terese
          @jenwriter17
            • Total Posts: 2522

@dekreel I’ve actually only read a little bit of The Canterbury Tales for school. I did like it though, and asked my mom if I could buy the whole book (because there was only a little bit in the British literature book I was reading)

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
            www.jennaterese.com

Josiah DeGraaf
            @aratrea
              • Total Posts: 717

@dekreel I love the Canterbury Tales. I studied a number of the tales in college and have taught different stories from it in my English classes. I do need to second @sleepwalkingmk, though, and say that you need to be careful about which you read since some are pretty raunchy. I’d be happy to give you recommendations on which to read or which to avoid if you aren’t following a curriculum in your reading.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus. Guiding authors at Story Embers.

Joy
              @dekreel
                • Total Posts: 2304

@daughteroftheking  Yes, I know what you mean! It has that Shakespearean sonnet feel to it 🙂

@jenwriter17
                  Which Tales have you read (or partially read), do you know?

@sleepwalkingmk
                  @aratrea Thanks! I will keep that in mind when I pick Chaucer back up again 🙂

You can pronounce it however you want.

Jenna Terese
                @jenwriter17
                  • Total Posts: 2522

@dekreel Um, I’m actually not sure. *hides* It’s been a while since I read it

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                  www.jennaterese.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >