The Best Book Ever

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions The Best Book Ever

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jada Morrison
    @jadamae
      • Total Posts: 199

Since this is a forum for Christian writers, I would hope the the Bible is our favorite book. What is your favorite story/ passage from a literary standpoint? Or maybe just a verse with a metaphor that really helps you make the connection.

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

Job. Job, and the story of Joseph, from a literary standpoint. But there are thousands (not exaggerating) of stories and sub-stories that I find immensely fascinating.
        And of course, the overall story— a world taken from perfection to corruption to destruction to oppression to repentance and redemption. It’s the most drastic scale of storytelling I’ve ever come across, but no less fascinating and poignant.
        In fact, it inspired me so much I’m trying to do the same thing with a fantasy world in my current series. 🙂
        Good topic, Jada!

Daeus
        @daeus
          • Total Posts: 4238

This is a topic I think we can carry along for quite some time. There really is no limit to it.

I have to think that just the basic gospel story is the best it gets, but good stuff is just everywhere in the Bible.

I have to agree that Job is just a great book, tough a bit tricky at times. And the psalms? What christian can’t relate to those?

One real life metaphor that really struck me was the practice of the scape goat in (I think it was Leviticus).

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Rosey Mucklestone
          @writefury
            • Total Posts: 467

I agree with Kate on the Joseph story. It’s the one that would be the most fun to write at least. And there’s actually an amazing redemption for Judah in that story. At the beginning, he’s so desperate for his father’s love, desperate to be the favorite, that he goes to the length of selling Joseph. But then the favoritism shifts to Benjamin. And the moment of truth for him of: “My father can go on without me, but not without Benjamin. Take me instead of Benjamin.”
            It’s just amazing what is going on there under the surface.
            Anyone ever seen this site? https://www.alephbeta.org/
            It’s more jewish based, but I still LOVE watching their videos. They add so much humanity and motivations to the stories it’s amazing. “The Power Of Rachel’s Tears” especially blew me away.
            And their current thing “The Parsha Project” is about tying the whole first 5 books of the Bible together as a cohesive plot and a single story. It’s really fun, especially being a writer. 😉

BlueJay
            @bluejay
              • Total Posts: 1622

I love the books of Ruth and Esther. Two women who did what God wanted and were blessed because of it. I think it should be so encouraging, at least to females, to stand firm in your faith and do the right thing. Even if the outcome might kill you, (Esther going before the king) or makes you step outside your comfort zone (Ruth leaving her homeland).
              I also love the story of Joseph. I have see (via DVD) and American Sight and Sound stage production of it and it blew my mind. The fact that there were live animals on stage was just amazing, but the scene changes and the sets and the EVERYTHING. Wow!!!! (It’s my future dream to act in one of them one day).
              Best line is when Potiphar’s wife tells Joseph, when he is about to go to prison, “Now you’ve lost everything” and he replies, “No, I have keep my name.” *Shivers of delight* So good!

Daeus
              @daeus

On a slightly different note, I have found it fascinating how much similarity there is in the work of God and the work of a writer. For instance, you all know about how your character is striving for something that he wants, but what is most important is what he needs and his blind pursuit of what he wants ends up making everything go wrong and then he ends up learning just what he needed to know. Isn’t that just exactly real life? We do exactly to our characters what God does to us. And what is the goal of characters after all? To make people like the author. The similarities go on and on.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                @kate-flournoy
                  • Total Posts: 3976

And then there are the really sad stories. King Saul. King Solomon. King David, even, though his started out so well. All of their stories did, in fact. From redemption to rejection.

But thankfully not all the stories are like that. My favorite New Testament hero is Paul— his story is absolutely mindblowing. And Peter— a story of fear and struggle and betrayal, but the power of redemption and forgiveness through it all.

Some stories make me curious, too— Simon and Anna, for instance. We don’t really know much about them, but what we do is intriguing. 😀

There are so many… I don’t know how I’m ever going to list them all. 😛

And YES @Daeus— yes, yes, and a thousand times yes! That is SO TRUE.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Kate Flournoy.
                  Hope Ann
                  @hope
                    • Total Posts: 1092

I love some of the descriptions used in the prophets; Joel 2:2 is one of my favorite examples (and the only one I could think of at the moment):

A day of darkness and of gloominess, a day of clouds and of thick darkness, as the morning spread upon the mountains: a great people and a strong; there hath not been ever the like, neither shall be any more after it, even to the years of many generations.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Sarah Hoven
                    @sarah-h
                      • Total Posts: 669

Thank you for starting this topic, Tessa! Ecclesiastes 12 is very poetic. Some of my favorite verses are in the Psalms:

“Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand. Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.”
                      ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭73:23-25‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep. For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof. They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble. They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wits’ end. Then they cry unto the Lord in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses. He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven. Oh that men would praise the Lord for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!”
                      ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭107:23-31‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Also, I love the first half of John 1, and John 17. John is a beautiful book.

Daeus
                      @daeus

Hey, @sarah-h, You’re back! It’s been a while.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Sarah Hoven
                        @sarah-h

Hi, Daeus! Something very unexpected came up, and my phone didn’t have internet access. It sure is good to be back.

Daeus
                          @daeus

Kidnaped by drugged parakeets? Don’t worry. It happens to me all the time.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Sarah Hoven
                            @sarah-h

@daeus- Now that would be very unexpected. 🙂

Speaking of favorite verses, this morning Mommy read Psalm 19 to us from her Jewish Bible. The first few verses really struck me, they are so beautiful.

The heavens declare the glory of God,
                              The dome of the sky speaks the work of his hands.
                              Every day it utters speech,
                              Every night it reveals knowledge.
                              Without speech, without word,
                              Without their voices being heard,
                              Their line goes out through all the earth
                              And their words to the end of the world.

Rolena Hatfield
                              @rolena-hatfield
                                • Total Posts: 405

Wonderful topic here!

@kate-flournoy
                                there are so many people I’d loved to known more about! Simeon and Anna are two and then there is Miriam, Dorcus, Stephan, and Phebe! I guess we’ll have to wait until we meet them later on!

The creation account. It sets the stage for the wonderful “play” of God’s glorious plan of redeeming and sanctifying mankind for His glory.

Daniel. His story is a bright testimony of wholeheartedly following God.

1 Samuel – 2 Chronicles. The ups and downs of Isreal and their leaders either choosing to follow God or rejecting Him.

https://rolenahatfield.com/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              >