The (Awesome) Summer Writing Club!

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions The (Awesome) Summer Writing Club!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    Mallory O’Bier
    @overcomer
      • Total Posts: 550

Welcome to The (Awesome) Summer Writing Club, where we gather to discuss our progress and encourage each other in our particular Summer writing project endeavors. 🙂

New members: Please start by describing your particular project and where you hope to go with it this Summer.

This is going to be a blast! I just love Summer, don’t you? 🙂

(I hope that’s cheesy enough!) 😉 Start your pens! (Whenever you’re ready 😉 )

You guys want to join? @daeus , @hannah-c , @hope , @aella , @anna-brie , @kate-flournoy , @bluejay , @faithdk , @gretald , @rolena-hatfield , @writefury , @spradlin , @sarah-h , @zoe-wingfeather , etc. 🙂

Hannah C
      @hannah-c
        • Total Posts: 362

*Raises hand* Me! Me! Pick me!

My name is Hannah and I will have been writing officially for two years come this August (Wow this feels like a Writers Anonymous Group). This summer I would like to finish the editing on my Historical Fiction as well as write at least 10,000 words in another book which I currently have no genre or era for…so yeah, better put those on the to-do list as well.

Thanks for tagging me @overcomer I can’t wait to see everyone else’s goals.

HC

Hope Ann
        @hope
          • Total Posts: 1092

My summer project is a novella retelling Hansel and Gretel. I’m still in the planning stages though I’m hoping to get an outline figured out in the next week or so.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Daeus
          @daeus
            • Total Posts: 4238

I’ll be starting a semi-dystopian time travel save the world story. I don’t plan to do a whole lot since my main goal is to edit my existing books this year and I’ll have to go through several revisions at least. I think I can get at least five chapters written though. I need to do some more studies on the time period though and study up on my middle english.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Sarah Spradlin
            @spradlin
              • Total Posts: 189

Yasssssss! Thanks for the invite. I’ll mostly just be dumping my feelings into poetry this summer since I’ll be gone a pretty good bit. 😀 But it’s a project nonetheless! So yeah. Y’all are cool. Summer writing clubs are cool. And I look forward to talking writing with everyone. 🙂

"When enemies attack your kingdom you don't flee you show them why it's your kingdom. With your lightsaber."

Faith Kindred
              @faithdk
                • Total Posts: 139

Oh this sounds cool. 🙂 Well, I don’t have much planned this summer, but I will probably spend a lot of time editing some stories and writing in my WIP. But I also need to do a lot of research for it.

Kate Flournoy
                @kate-flournoy
                  • Total Posts: 3976

Editing my WIP, and then *takes deep breath* I have finally decided to start rewriting my WIP’s prequel. Which I should have done the moment I finished it two years ago. It needs it. Majorly. 😛
                  I’m also planning to do a bit of work on a retelling of Snow White called The Mirror— just a novella, but fun nonetheless. @Hope got me hooked on retellings. 😉

Daeus
                  @daeus

@kate-flournoy A whole rewriting? That sounds kinda extreme. I thought it just needed some plot tweaks here and there and a couple more passes at editing. And of course, I’m always right.

Ok, everything but the last line.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy

@Daeus I am anything but un-extreme. 😉 Fact is, when I wrote that, I had literally zero clue that it wasn’t going to be a standalone book. Now there are ten more books to follow it. So first of all I need to make it so it leads into its sequel, and secondly— well— the whole thing stinks. I know, I know— extreme. But it does. Compared to the one I just finished writing (I’ll eat my humble pie later, thanks) it is an absolute wreck. Themewise, plotwise (*shudder* can you say predictable), prosewise… I’m still pretty happy with the characters (except for the obvious problems) but that’s about it. I need to make it far and away better, so it actually fits with the series. As it stands in relation to its sequel right now, it looks like it was written by a fourteen-year-old. Oh wait… 😉

Don’t worry. I know what I’m doing. 🙂

Daeus
                      @daeus

@kate-flournoy I guess some things needed to be rewritten. I wouldn’t have said the whole book though. I also don’t know much about your series, but I suppose you would know when something needs to be changed to make it fit. So maybe you’re right, but I still suspect you’re being too hard on yourself.

Anyways, have fun. I’ll be having fun with my twelve-year-old writing. The worse it is, the better editor you look. I’m feeling like a pretty good editor right about now.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Tatiana
                        @belegteleri
                          • Total Posts: 97

I’ve been working on a fantasy novel since November and had hoped to get it finished by the end of this year… but I’m really behind. As usual. Hopefully, I’ll have more inspiration and drive during the summer. It’s so frustrating: I really wanted to get it finished this year, but now, the whole thing is looking really horrible, except for a few paragraphs, which I am really proud of, and to top it all of, my unfinished dystopian is calling my name. Really loudly. My cousin says to go with the dystopian, if that’s what I want to do, but then I feel like I’m betraying my fantasy.

Sorry, this is a writer’s club, not a therapy session. Anyways, that’s what I’m doing this summer. Thanks for asking! I’m glad I got that off my chest.

Hannah
                          @aella
                            • Total Posts: 160

Ooooh… Well, I have a couple of projects I’m working on in different ways, I’m working on the third-ish draft of my NaNo project from last year, and then my 100-for-100 project is erm… well… It’s a… thing. I took a Pinterest prompt and decided to run with it. (Pinterest is the bane of my productivity…) But it’s looking pretty cool so far with way too many Main Character’s as typical… but no dragons this time… 🙁 at least. No living dragons… XD. I’m also hoping to revamp a couple of older projects on a less-busy school day or two. (poem and short story…) We’ll see how much I actually get done… XD.
                            Annnndd to be fair since I never did my own “start here” page, …shhh… I’ve only been writing seriously for a bit over a year, (well, a bit before I discovered KP in February of last year so quite a bit over a year I guess…) although I’ve pretty much always loved writing, I had just never done it with an actual goal in mind… With that said… Hannah out! Can’t wait to hear more about y’all’s projects as the summer goes on!

Daeus
                            @daeus

It’s neat to see what everybody’s doing.

Btw, @kate-flournoy, I can beta-read for the revision if you want.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                              @kate-flournoy

@Daeus that would be lovely, thank you. It won’t be ready any time soon— possibly not even until next year. It depends on how good I get at this whole rewriting thing in the meantime. 😉

Yes, everyone’s projects sound fascinating. Isn’t it strange to think what a perfectly writer-oriented community we have here? I mean, for my part, I completely understand how every single person on this forum thinks, because they think almost exactly like I do. (Almost 😉 ). We all operate on the same wavelength. But once we leave this forum, that’s gone. It becomes nearly impossible to find a single other person like us in the real world. It’s almost like two alternate realities. 😛 One is real, and the other’s not, and then that other is real, and the first one’s not.
                                Sorry if that sounds weird. Just my inner psychologist getting the better of me. 😉

Daeus
                                @daeus

@kate-flournoy On the other hand, I don’t think most writers like to tell other people they are writers, so there’s probably more out there we just don’t know of.

As for the revision, if you could get it done before next year, I would be impressed.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 123 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >